“Expecting the worst, very pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casitas Eclipse to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hotel Casitas Eclipse
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km # 5, road to the Manuel Antonio National Park,, Manuel Antonio National Park 11-6350, Costa Rica   |
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
“Expecting the worst, very pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I read so many bad reviews of this hotel, I was seriously considering sleeping on our tour bus rather than here. This turned out to be our favorite hotel in our 13 day tour of Costa Rica! The grounds were beautiful, the bed surprisingly comfortable, the A/C kicked some butt. One morning we had a family of toucans outside our room, and the next morning we had a troop of squirrel monkeys! Now, I'm not saying it can't use some updating. But honestly it was so much better than we expected that I was thrilled. I loved it that our room was more like a suite or an apartment. We had a huge table outside so we could sit and watch the wildlife. We didn't swim because we were honestly too tired from other activities. We walked across the road and had a great ocean view. This really isn't anything fancy, but it was very homey. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My initial reaction was, "This is a beautiful site!" However, after closer examination I was wrong. I think my biggest problem was the bugs everywhere. There were dead beetles, bees, and mosquitoes around the room and it was a major turn-off. I know this is a humid area, but I am not sure the staff did a thorough job cleaning the dead bugs on the windows and room corners.

Another huge issue was the shower. The shower head was damaged and the water sprayed everywhere. It was not a good functional shower head, but I told myself that I was only staying 2 nights so I would deal with it. Also, they did not have any shower curtains/sliding doors so the water sprayed to the floors. The toilet would only flush if you hold it for longer than 5 secs. Another issue was the tv, because the reception was poor quality.

I did enjoy the refrigerator and the breakfast food at Gato Negro was delicious. I thought the bed was a bit worn out and lumpy, but I did have a good sleep either way. The candles were a nice touch. I also liked the terrace and the table and chairs to sit outside. The pool looked great as well, but I didn't get a chance to go in. The staff were really nice and helpful with directions. The bus to Quepos is right outside and there are many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best things about this hotel: beautiful grounds - lots of cared for gardens; "chico" the dog that would come visit our room; El Avion across the street; huge frog that came to "visit"; tiny geckos everywhere.
The outside of the room was nice in that we had our own veranda to sit on.
The inside of the room was just ok - average clean/comfort. We did have to ask a couple of times for clean towels. Staff were ok to deal with. Our room was tucked away in the back of the hotel grounds - it did make us a little nervous to leave valuables in the room - lock on the door would be easy to break into.
Manuel Antonio park is a short drive from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned from a Gate 1 tour of Costa Rica. I had read the reviews of the Casitas Eclipse and figured forewarned is forearmed. What a pleasant surprise to find an adorable hotel with great little villas all stacked on a hillside bordering on the national park. There were so many birds, monkeys, lizards and toads it felt as if we were right in the jungle. The landscaping was beautifully maintained, and the villas very clean, if simple. Yes, lots of stairs going in all different directions, which in my opinion added to the charm. If I were to return to Costa Rica and Manuel Antonio, I would surely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room 202 was at the top, next to the road. We were not bothered by traffic noise and had a view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Ia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was nice, as it had apartment style rooms. There was a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath. It was right on the bus route to the city or the National Park. There were steps to everywhere. The pools were not very clear, but I'm not sure how you would keep them that way. They seemed to do the best they could.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Isabel, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

These were at one time two story apartments. The rooms are very old and out of date. The TV is in the living area and a half bed is also. The sofa is built in the wall partition and the TV sits behind the sofa. Each room is either up or down the mountain so you have to climb one way or another. The restaurant is a very strenuous climb up especially for the elderly. There is no Wi-Fi except from the upper heights of the complex. The pool was dirty and not very well kept as was the whole hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a let down compared to everywhere else on our 10 day tour. This is a run down resort. It definitely needs updating. They ask that you to hang your towels so that they are not being washed. We did so, but they still took our towels. There are no ice machines, if you ask for ice they charge you $1. The wifi does not always work where it is supposed to. Sitting by the pool, I notice other people get asked if they would like a drink and it is brought to them. We were never asked if we would like a drink even though I had gone to the bar and gotten one myself. The breakfast menu is very limited. The toast the first day was cold. One the second day I asked for warm toast and it was brought to me. The jungle trail was interesting - wear shoes as there is lots of broken glass.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CasitasEclipse, General Manager at Hotel Casitas Eclipse, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Karen M,
We are sorry that our property didn't met your expectations. However we would like to clarify a few things....
Our policies to not waste more water than necessary are clear: hung towels are not to be washed, towels on the floor are. However our maids use common sense, and if your towels are really not so clean, they will wash them anyway, hanged or not.
We don't have an ice machine, and guest are welcome to ask for the ice they need, for there drinks, at our restaurant. If they charged you $1, it's because you asked for a full bag of ice, maybe to take to the beach. We do not provide ice bag services (to go), however there are many supermarkets nearby that do.
We understand that you visited our private trails – on your own -, and you walked through our glass workshop. It worth mention that we upcycle all the glass from the restaurant, and there are no glasses on the trails.
We are surprised that you haven't been asked for drinks at the pool, and we would like you to give us more feedback about this issue here: info@casitaseclipsehotel.com.

Hotel Casitas Eclipse's Staff

Been to Hotel Casitas Eclipse? Share your experiences!