“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casitas Eclipse

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casitas Eclipse to your Saves list
Hotel Casitas Eclipse
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km # 5, road to the Manuel Antonio National Park,, Manuel Antonio National Park 11-6350, Costa Rica   |
Toronto, Canada
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best things about this hotel: beautiful grounds - lots of cared for gardens; "chico" the dog that would come visit our room; El Avion across the street; huge frog that came to "visit"; tiny geckos everywhere.
The outside of the room was nice in that we had our own veranda to sit on.
The inside of the room was just ok - average clean/comfort. We did have to ask a couple of times for clean towels. Staff were ok to deal with. Our room was tucked away in the back of the hotel grounds - it did make us a little nervous to leave valuables in the room - lock on the door would be easy to break into.
Manuel Antonio park is a short drive from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned from a Gate 1 tour of Costa Rica. I had read the reviews of the Casitas Eclipse and figured forewarned is forearmed. What a pleasant surprise to find an adorable hotel with great little villas all stacked on a hillside bordering on the national park. There were so many birds, monkeys, lizards and toads it felt as if we were right in the jungle. The landscaping was beautifully maintained, and the villas very clean, if simple. Yes, lots of stairs going in all different directions, which in my opinion added to the charm. If I were to return to Costa Rica and Manuel Antonio, I would surely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room 202 was at the top, next to the road. We were not bothered by traffic noise and had a view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Ia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was nice, as it had apartment style rooms. There was a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath. It was right on the bus route to the city or the National Park. There were steps to everywhere. The pools were not very clear, but I'm not sure how you would keep them that way. They seemed to do the best they could.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Isabel, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

These were at one time two story apartments. The rooms are very old and out of date. The TV is in the living area and a half bed is also. The sofa is built in the wall partition and the TV sits behind the sofa. Each room is either up or down the mountain so you have to climb one way or another. The restaurant is a very strenuous climb up especially for the elderly. There is no Wi-Fi except from the upper heights of the complex. The pool was dirty and not very well kept as was the whole hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a let down compared to everywhere else on our 10 day tour. This is a run down resort. It definitely needs updating. They ask that you to hang your towels so that they are not being washed. We did so, but they still took our towels. There are no ice machines, if you ask for ice they charge you $1. The wifi does not always work where it is supposed to. Sitting by the pool, I notice other people get asked if they would like a drink and it is brought to them. We were never asked if we would like a drink even though I had gone to the bar and gotten one myself. The breakfast menu is very limited. The toast the first day was cold. One the second day I asked for warm toast and it was brought to me. The jungle trail was interesting - wear shoes as there is lots of broken glass.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CasitasEclipse, General Manager at Hotel Casitas Eclipse, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Karen M,
We are sorry that our property didn't met your expectations. However we would like to clarify a few things....
Our policies to not waste more water than necessary are clear: hung towels are not to be washed, towels on the floor are. However our maids use common sense, and if your towels are really not so clean, they will wash them anyway, hanged or not.
We don't have an ice machine, and guest are welcome to ask for the ice they need, for there drinks, at our restaurant. If they charged you $1, it's because you asked for a full bag of ice, maybe to take to the beach. We do not provide ice bag services (to go), however there are many supermarkets nearby that do.
We understand that you visited our private trails – on your own -, and you walked through our glass workshop. It worth mention that we upcycle all the glass from the restaurant, and there are no glasses on the trails.
We are surprised that you haven't been asked for drinks at the pool, and we would like you to give us more feedback about this issue here: info@casitaseclipsehotel.com.

Hotel Casitas Eclipse's Staff
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We arrived at our hotel, Hotel Casitas Eclipse, right after a tour bus so there was a bit of a wait. I had read about the stairs and it was no exaggeration. My knee got a bit sore going up and down, up and down and so on. We were near the bottom. I also had a hard time remembering which way to go, it’s not a straight shot to get anywhere. The room was a nice size. I woke up very early in the morning telling my husband it was raining on my head. Turns out the a/c which was right over the head of the bed was dripping quite a bit of water into the room. Mattress, pillow and my head were soaked. Their fix was to move the bed away from the wall. The pool was right out side our room. Could not believe how hot the water was, truly like a bathtub. But it was hotter out of the pool so it did help some. Not sure I would recommend this hotel. I would not stay here again.

We had lunch at Gato Negro and it was good.

Room Tip: Best be in good shape with good knees
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed in room 201 and it was huge. I had a full kitchen including coffee maker (you have to buy your own coffee and fixings) and blender, stove, refrigerator, pots/pans, and even a salad bowl with serving spoons. The two beds were comfortable and the built-in sofas were ok, but not padded enough for sleeping. This hotel is definitely not upscale, but it was clean and I loved having so much room. The screens on windows were torn and allowed bugs to get in, but with the windows shut and the A/C on I was a happy camper. My unit also had a large covered front patio with a table and chairs, although the mosquitoes in Manuel Antonio were large enough to carry me away so I didn't spend a lot of time out of doors in the evening. This is the unit closest to the reception area and I had WIFI available on the patio, but not inside the room.

I had issues with the air conditioner but a very nice maintenance guy fixed that quickly. Others in my group had a number of maintenance issues that caused endless trips from maintenance and in some cases changing rooms 3 times before finding a room with a working air conditioner. Every unit on the property and the restaurant requires a lot of steps. If you do not do well with steps this hotel is not the place for you. The restaurant food was ok but not great. Breakfast was very limited and the entire restaurant is open air. You must order off a set menu and the breakfast and dinner portions I had were very small.

Would I stay at this hotel again? Probably not. I don't know the rates because I paid for the entire trip as a package from a tour operator. Others in our group stayed at Si Como No and said their rooms were much better than mine, but they paid more for their trip package.

Room Tip: Walk about 6 blocks up the hill and eat at Rico Tico. Rico Tico has fabulous food and service, and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
CasitasEclipse, General Manager at Hotel Casitas Eclipse, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Westgalady
Thank you for your review.
We always take our costumers feedback into consideration, as we try to improve our service and quality every day.
We are glad to see that you liked the room, and that our maintenance department responded quickly.
We are a 3 ½ star hotel, that tries to give more services than expected, such as free WIFI areas in the reception area and restaurant.We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our restaurant service. We will look into what happened, as we usually deliver a good service.
We hope that you had a wonderful time in our country,

Hotel Casitas Eclipse's Staff

Been to Hotel Casitas Eclipse? Share your experiences!