“Splendid guide” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Johan Chaves, a local naturalist guide who has lived in the region since my childhood. With the passion, enthusiasm and the experience gained at the field during this 8 years in my profession, I am always willing to give each customer a lifetime experience through my office; the rain forest. I offer individualized tour services that can be customized ranging from a fun family vacation to a serious nature trek thru the stunning scenery of the Manuel Antonio park.
Wilrijk, Antwerpen, Belgium
“Splendid guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very good guide, with profound knowledge of animals and forests.
The best guide one can imagine!
He finds animals where you don't have a clue there are sitting ones.

South Lake Tahoe, California
“Johan Made Manual Antonio Park Come Alive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Really cannot say enough about how great Johan is; he is simply the best. First, Johan did a great job communicating via email when setting up our tour. He was very quick and responsive with lots of detail including a link to step by step instructions on how to meet him. The night before our tour he called our hotel and confirmed our tour and details offering to meet us at our hotel. Johan really comes prepared. Not only does he bring a spotter's scope to allow us to see all the insects, flora, birds, and animals, but he also uses guide books, a tablet, and even sounds of the animals from his phone. He really brings the full experience. Because Johan can take amazing photos with your camera through his spotter's scope, you don't need to bring your big telephoto lens. I had my 300mm lens on and the photos with my wife's point and shoot where better than mine. The park was amazing and beautiful but we would have gotten only 1/10th of the experience if we had chosen not to have Johan. Simply the best!

New Albany, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
“Que Tuanis¡”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Our experience this morning is one we will remember for a long time. I found Johan here on tripadvisor so very fitting that I write a review. Johan communicated prior with confirmation emails, showed up in time with a great big smile. We knew it was going to be a great day. Our 5 year old son was with us and Johan made sure he put him at ease. He thought him how to use the scope and asked him many questions about what he wished to see and experience. I could tell he wanted to ensure our satisfaction. Through the tour we saw monkeys, lizards, insects, birds, sloths, bats, snakes.... You name it.... Johan made sure we saw it. In addition to our sights he also explained in detail what we encountered. He shares stories about his years of adventure in the rainforest and with tourists alike. He was personable and genuine which our family truly appreciated. We took a private tour and I highly recommend it. Last but not least it was super cool having the guide that was showing all the other guides what THEY should be looking at. BUT relationship with them which is no surprise. His personality and respect shines through and he was a pleasure to spend the morning with.
Thanks Johan and we wish you and your family the best! Pura Vida!

Austin, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“An excellent guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Johan was an amazing guide. He knows everything about the park and is a lot of fun to spend a morning with. He took care to explain a lot of things to our children and inspired in them a great deal of appreciation for the ecosystem of the park area. He was very prepared, with numerous books and a tablet that he used to show us pictures and teach us more about the different animals we encountered. We had a wonderful time and would love to take this tour again.

Charlotte, NC
22 attraction reviews
“Johan goes above and beyond expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

All the comments from previous reviews regarding Johan’s enthusiasm and well-guided tours are spot on. In addition to his excellent tours, he was the perhaps the most helpful resource I contacted before arriving in MA. It is evident he loves his work and dealings with people. That is why he is #1; he has earned it! I was glad our small group was with him as we passed other guides with their groups. Do not attempt to see the park on your own without a guide at least once, because you will miss so much. The four wild snakes I saw while in CR over 9 days I only saw because they were pointed out to me. It is amazing how much is going on around us that we would never see as we walk right by!

Visited June 2013