“An excellent guide” 5 of 5 stars

(506) 2779-1189
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Johan Chaves, a local naturalist guide who has lived in the region since my childhood. With the passion, enthusiasm and the experience gained at the field during this 8 years in my profession, I am always willing to give each customer a lifetime experience through my office; the rain forest. I offer individualized tour services that can be customized ranging from a fun family vacation to a serious nature trek thru the stunning scenery of the Manuel Antonio park.
Austin, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“An excellent guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Johan was an amazing guide. He knows everything about the park and is a lot of fun to spend a morning with. He took care to explain a lot of things to our children and inspired in them a great deal of appreciation for the ecosystem of the park area. He was very prepared, with numerous books and a tablet that he used to show us pictures and teach us more about the different animals we encountered. We had a wonderful time and would love to take this tour again.

Visited July 2013

Charlotte, NC
20 attraction reviews
“Johan goes above and beyond expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

All the comments from previous reviews regarding Johan’s enthusiasm and well-guided tours are spot on. In addition to his excellent tours, he was the perhaps the most helpful resource I contacted before arriving in MA. It is evident he loves his work and dealings with people. That is why he is #1; he has earned it! I was glad our small group was with him as we passed other guides with their groups. Do not attempt to see the park on your own without a guide at least once, because you will miss so much. The four wild snakes I saw while in CR over 9 days I only saw because they were pointed out to me. It is amazing how much is going on around us that we would never see as we walk right by!

Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Johan showed us a fantastic time on our tour through the Manuel Antonio National Park. He was friendly, courteous and had a wealth of knowledge about the inhabitants of the park. There is no reason whatsoever to consider another tour guide - Johan will meet and exceed all of your expectations.

Thanks for awesome time, Johan!

Santa Monica, California
“Incredible experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I sought Johan out based on the reviews I found online. There is a reason he is so highly rated.... Because he is the best!
Johan met us at our hotel and we followed him over to the park. BEWARE of scam parking lots. there is a parking lot right by the park entrance, which we parked at. We spotted many things before even getting into the park. We must have been stopping every five feet to see something exciting. A troop of about 15 howler monkeys greeted us a the gate entrance. They were on the move and it was fun to see the babies, juveniles, and adults all together. Lots of spiders, sloths, capuchin monkeys and squirrel monkeys. We even saw a stand off between a juvenile capuchin and three toed sloth. One of the most memorable sightings was a caiman who just caught lunch... A pelican. All within 8 feet from us.
Johan is so sweet, has a great understanding of all the wildlife, and was a pleasure to speak with. I would highly recommend him to anyone going to Manuel Antonio.

Visited July 2013
“Johan is the way to go! Don't bother otherwise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I booked Johan about a month prior to our private guided tour to Manuel Antonio National Park. Every email I sent to Johan, he answered quickly. He's great at responding to emails if you have any questions regarding rates and he even sent a reminder email the day before our tour.

We were staying at Hotel Playa Espadilla, which is really close to the park so he greeted us outside the lobby. I instantly knew Johan was going to be a spectacular guide. He seemed outgoing, excited, knowledgeable, and his English was more than great.

We weren't officially inside the park yet and he excitedly pulled out his scope to show us an iguana. I told Johan that we hadn't yet seen a sloth and he smiled and said, " Oh that's easy, Cindy!" We were happy to hear that. We spotted sloths including a baby sloth who came down to poop! They only do this once a week! Johan gave us plenty of time to take the moment in and enjoy wildlife at its best. He took many pics for us with our iphone and camera. Thanks to him we have beautiful pics! He showed us lots of wildlife with lots of great background info and he even pulled out his tablet to show us pictures of skulls and calls. He's an amazing naturalist but also a great teacher. We saw many cool lizards and even baby monkeys!

Everyone in the park knows Johan. They seem to admire him and we were so happy and lucky to have a private tour with him. He spent hours with us and he is full of knowledge. We are happy to have met him and could go on and on about his awesomeness. Choose Johan for your tour to MA National Park! (Hi Johan!)

Pura Vida!