“The most wildlife sightings in 2hrs!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Johan Chaves, a local naturalist guide who has lived in the region since my childhood. With the passion, enthusiasm and the experience gained at the field during this 8 years in my profession, I am always willing to give each customer a lifetime experience through my office; the rain forest. I offer individualized tour services that can be customized ranging from a fun family vacation to a serious nature trek thru the stunning scenery of the Manuel Antonio park.
“The most wildlife sightings in 2hrs!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Johan has several great qualities as a guide: he is friendly, patient, listens to you, is fluent in english, is extremely knowledgeable, and is 110% invested in making sure you get what you want out of the tour. He has a telescope on a tripod that you can use even your phone to take close up pictures. He is a birder and I know people book him for whole days just for that. We went on a private tour through Manuel Antonio park. We saw so many insects, iguanas, geckos, birds, bats, sloths, to name a few. All that would have been impossible to pick out without Johan. Don't book anywhere else!!!

Denver, Colorado
“Best thing we did in Manuel Antonio - highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went on a private tour with Johan and it was even better than we could have hoped. He was extremely responsive in our intial email exchange and even gave us recommendations of other tours we may like. From the moment we were picked up by Johan, he was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable about Manuel Antonio. On the tour of the park, he set the scope for us and we saw animals that seemed impossible to find. He was even able to take some amazing pictures with our camera and iphone through the scope! He was extremely knowledgeable about all the animals and birds. Johan is very friendly and personable. His passion for Costa Rica, Manuel Antonio and animals/birds is undeniable! I would recommend going on a tour with Johan at the beginning of your time in Manuel Antonio as he was a great resource for activities and restaurants in the area for the rest of our trip. Johan's guided tour is a must do activitiy if you are in Manuel Antonio or going to the Manuel Antonio National Park!! PURA VIDA.

Visited December 2012
Jacksonville, NC
3 attraction reviews
“Best Tour Guide EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I happened upon Johan while searching for tours for Manuel Antonio. Prior to this tour, we had seen none of the animals everyone else raved about in Costa Rica. We were picked up at our hotel at exactly the time he said he'd arrive and taken to MA. Before we even entered the park, he'd spotted a large iguana and was showing us through his scope. We mentioned we'd forgotten our beach towels, so he ran back to his vehicle to let us borrow his...very nice gesture we thought. Throughout the tour, Johan was fantastic. His enthusiasm for nature is contagious. We saw every animal we'd heard about plus a lot more. We were able to get great pictures through his scope and even some videos. We stopped for an hour or so to swim. He offered to sit with our belongings as to not have the animals run off with them. We then continued the last little bit of the tour and headed to a local restaurant to have lunch (the best food we had on the entire trip might I add). I cannot recommend Johan highly enough. If you're in the area, you MUST take a tour with him. Don't even bother going to the park without a guide. I don't think we would've seen anything without him since most things are pretty well hidden. Oh and we'd mentioned that we had hoped to get some good vanilla extract like we'd purchased previously in Mexico. He said he lived near the vanilla tour place and offered to pick some up for us and drop it by our hotel the following morning before another tour he had booked. Sure enough he arrived before 7am the following morning with vanilla in hand! Did I mention how awesome he is?!? :)

Visited November 2012
Miami, Florida, USA
“We had a great time, highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I asked our hotel to setup a private tour of Manuel Antonio park. They set us up with Johann and it could not have been better. Johan is knowledgeable, passionate about his work, and personable. He brought a scope and showed us how to use it with our cameras and iPhones to take pictures of the wildlife. We had a great time, saw all the stuff you've heard about, highly recommend.

gardenergrl
7 attraction reviews
“Wonderful tour- saw LOTS of animals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a tour with Johan on a rainy Saturday morning. He came to our hotel to ask to postpone our tour until the rain let up, and it was a great plan. We saw lots of animals, including two and three toed sloths, two species of bats sleeping, racoons, monkeys, and lots of lizards and frogs. Oh - and birds! Lots of birds by sight and song. Johan helped us to take great pictures and learn a lot about Costa Rica as we saw so many things on our tour.

Visited November 2012