“Awesome Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio

and 1 more site!
You added National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio to your Saves list
National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio
Next Door to Manuel Antonio National Park | 300 Mts del Restaurante Marlen hacia el Parque Nacional de Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 11111, Costa Rica   |
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was sleeping at National Park Backpackers for 3 nights in March 2013, really liked the swimming pool and the vibe in the evenings when are outdoor movie screenings above the pool. The best located backpackers hostel in Manual Antonio, really close to the beach and to the National Park.
I liked the big lockers beside each beds in the dorms, I could lock up all my backpacks and felt secure.
It's a great place for a great value with awesome atmosphere, I would definitely recommend staying here for a few nights!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Diego E, Gerente at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Wonderful.....!! We are very pleased that our recent guests from Toronto, Canada were over the top about our service, location, staff and pool.

Please come back soon!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.

Cheers,
Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mount Pleasant
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I´ve stayed at many hostels and this is a pretty good one. Only things that would make it perfect are air conditioning, included breakfast, and provided water. Other than that they have it all. They have a kitchen you can use, a refridgerator, power outlets everywhere, fans near the front and back of the dorms, a pool, they provide sheets. Also they show movies at night. It is the closest hostel to the national park, only like 5 buildings away from the entrance, and a 2 minute walk to the beach. It is a little hard to find if you don´t know the area but just ask someone when you get there and they can direct you. Its $12 US a night. Also Manuel Antonio is very hot. It reached 102 degrees when I was there. I would recommend 2 days here. Most beautiful beach I´ve seen in Costa Rica and I´ve traveled quite a bit here. They also have storage cabinets for your bags but bring your own lock

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Robert:

Thank you so much. We really appreciate your glowing comments on our Hostel.

Indeed, our beach in Manuel Antonio is just gorgeous!!! And the nature in the National Park is abundant, good that we are just 100 mts away from it... :)

We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future. We get so many return guests year after year... and we would love to count you among our distinguished return guests.

Warms regards,
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is super cool! We had a little misunderstanding at the beginning with our reservation, but they made it right with us and gave us a good deal to make up for it, so we feel lucky about that. The facility, pool, kitchen, lounging area is really nice, clean and we had a lovely time here. My husband and I had a private A/C room and it was great. The beds however are as hard as a rock, and we ended up using our blow up mattresses on top of the best to be able to sleep. Everything was super clean, safe and well attended. It's a great location only a few blocks walk from the ocean and main waterfront shopping with restaurants, stores, bars etc. Also, it's a few blocks walk to the huge amazing National Park that I would recommend going to! :) Overall, we had a lovely stay here!

Room Tip: Private a/c rooms were really nice to relax and cool off in, after a day of sweating in the heat and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you ... Thank you ... Janelle from Washington!
We are thrilled and excited that you loved our Hostel. It appears we did the right thing by our recent guests.
Thank you for pointing out all of the wonderful things you experienced here between our pool, room, cleanliness, proximity to our wonderful National Park and our helpful staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cheers from Paradise,
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently traveled to Manuel Antonio in mid November and was looking for an affordable place to stay. I was looking around and found National Backpackers. The description said it was was minutes from the beach and steps from the National Park. This was no lie. The entrance tot he park is just to the left of the hostel and the beach is down the road to the right, about a 5 minute walk.

I booked a private room with my own bathroom, TV, fridge, and AC unit. I found it to be perfect. Out the door from my room and a few steps away is the hostel restaurant "Funky Monkey". It is an outdoor but covered restaurant that is very affordable. They serve a nice variety of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I would come here every morning to have the "Costa Rican" breakfast and check emails. Also a nice place to relax and have a few drinks after a long day.

To the back of the hostel is where you find the dorms, the pool, and the kitchen. I loved this pool in the evenings after being out in the sun all day. Just floating around with a beer. I definitely made use of the kitchen a few times and it was interesting to talk to the other people from around the world as we ate together. Also, every night a movie would be played via a projector on a big wall that overlooks the pool. Nice place to hang out on some pool chairs and share some drinks!

I stayed here for about a week and had a blast. Affordable, convenient, and very fun. My only complaint, and I have read some of the other reviews, were the mattresses. They were a little thin and sometimes I would wake up with a bit of a sore back. I was told that they were aware of the problem and were in the process of taking action.

If you are planning on visiting Manuel Antonio, I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking out your valuable time to post your review on this TripAdvisor forum and for choosing National Park Backpackers (NPBP) for your recent stay in Manuel Antonio.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion. NPBP Team is proud to keep up with your expectations.

Thank you again for the time taken to provide us with your valuable feedback, we certainly look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

With Kindest Regards,
General Manager.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Being from NYC, the first thing I always do when I get to a hotel is check for bedbugs. I got my flashlight out, and they were in every bed of our room in the hostel. When we told the person at the front desk, he gave us our money back, as there was no way we were going to stay there. He did, however, seem to know full well of the big problem. Which just means that this hostel knows about the problem, but chooses not to do anything about it. Otherwise, location is next to the national park. But again, beware, it's hidden up a bumpy dirt road and not easy to find. Definitely will not be coming here again.

• Stayed December 2012
I must say we are very surprised and disappointed with this review... After trying to dispute it with Trip Advisor (because it seems a suspicious review) with no results.. I have to reply in our defense:
1) First, we DO NOT have bedbugs problem in our hostel.
2) We DO NOT have in our records any money refunded for this reason during the dates he travelled to Manuel Antonio.
3) "Location is hidden up a bumpy dirt road and not easy to find" The way to get to our Hostel is really easy, we are just 100 mts away from the National Park entrance (paved road) and this review says that we are in a bumpy road (???) ...
Anyway, thank you for giving us the opportunity to reply and hope they find some happiness elsewhere in their journey.
Thank you for taking the time to post your subjective review on this TripAdvisor forum.
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here with to of my friends in a dorm for a night just becuase we alredy payed for it. Well the dorm was dirty, dark, and smelled like smoke. I'll try to explaint who are the dorms, porbably it was a place where they have chikens before, so they just divided it into dorms with a terrible ventilation and lighting. They also offfer locker, but you must buy the lock. The mattres are tho worse just imagine you can feel the wood under it.

Then the in the kitchen area, the stove didn't work, actually set on fire when a woman was trying to cook.

The night that we stayed were a lot of locals staying there too, and they showed no respect for anyone they were making noise until 2:00 a.m. and then start again at 6:00 a.m.

I have travel like a backpaker around the world and definitely this is one of the worse places to stay. There other better and cheaper place on the are

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Diego E, Manager at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Arskasv:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this forum! We feel bad that you didn´t have a great time with us...
In our defense, I have to say that our electrical stove is working pretty well as always. What happened is that some guest left the stove on for a long time so it started to burn the burner. that´s already fixed.
We have a guard that is ensuring safety and tranquility at our hostel, so if people is doing noise very late they will be stopped immediately by our guard.
It is forums like Tripadvisor that assist us to improve our overall service to our valued guests!
Greensboro, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

National Park Backpackers has a nice location, right next to the entrance of the park (though the trade off is that you're further from The beach and supermarket and "town"), but unfortunately that's where the compliments end. The real deal breaker was the mattresses, which are by far the worst I have encountered in 3 years of backpacking in some of the cheapest hostels. I didn't believe the reviews myself, I assumed people were being picky because I personally don't mind foam mattresses. Wow. I think someone has had to TRY to make these mattresses so bad. You could feel evey uneven an gapping board below you, it was miserable. The horrible pillows are easy to deal with but I woke up with such a sore back from the mattresses it made hiking in the national park miserable. And I don't have back problems! It was literally that the mattresses are SO bad. Your sleep will be distrupted further by the fact that you can hear your neighbors Ever whisper, Every word of their conversation like you were there. I guess the walls between the privates are paper thin, i was shocked how well i could hear people a few Doors down. The dorm walls dont even reach the ceiling so theyre just as Bad or worse. The common area is a nice place to meet people but unfortunately not well maintained. There were dirty dishes sitting in the sink for at least 2 days (I checked out after 1 but came back to get my food out of the kitchen). The nightly movie screenings are a good idea but poorly run. For $30 for a private there are much, much better deals to be had. Skip this one, your back and goodnights sleep will thank you.

• Stayed December 2012
Diego E, Manager at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
The management and staff here at NPBP are extremely sorry that this guest was not happy with her stay at our Hostel. However, for the sake of TripAdvisor readers, we feel compelled to reply.
If this particular guest had simply told us about her situation during her stay we would have done everything possible to ensure her stay to be more pleasant…
Allow me to please address each of the points by the guest’s complaints:

Our location: Michelle pointed out very well our great location near the National Park, but I would like also to clarify that we actually are in a walkable distance to the supermarket and beach (about 250mts away only). And I guess most of tourists would rather to be closer to the National Park and its beaches than the town.

Mattresses: We actually have doubled up some of our mattresses and already are going to buy 21 new mattresses so this problem will be hopefully solved very soon. We indeed are very sorry that you had not told us about this, so we could move you to other room with better conditions.

Our walls: Michelle I see that even you just booked one night in a private room, you had the time to look at our dorms… Being the manager for about 8 months ago, I had not heard this before, but I definitely going to check this with our maintenance department and look for a solution.

Our common area and nightly movie: Thank you very much for pointing out that our common area is really nice and the nightly movie is a great idea. Our housekeeping ladies always clean this area all mornings and before they leave at 3pm again, we have signs were clearly says that every guest has to wash their dishes (as every hostel) but a few of them don´t do it, anyway we´ll be taking more care about this from now on.

We take all reviews here on Tripadvisor seriously and strive every day to consider the content each review and make any necessary changes.
For those of you considering a visit to our Hostel, if there is a way we can make your stay better, we kindly ask that you inform us while you are in the Hostel, as we are more than happy to accommodate you in any way that we can!

Been to National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio? Share your experiences!