“Great location, Great fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio

HostelBookers.com
National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio
Next Door to Manuel Antonio National Park | 300 Mts del Restaurante Marlen hacia el Parque Nacional de Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 11111, Costa Rica   |
Oklahoma City
“Great location, Great fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently traveled to Manuel Antonio in mid November and was looking for an affordable place to stay. I was looking around and found National Backpackers. The description said it was was minutes from the beach and steps from the National Park. This was no lie. The entrance tot he park is just to the left of the hostel and the beach is down the road to the right, about a 5 minute walk.

I booked a private room with my own bathroom, TV, fridge, and AC unit. I found it to be perfect. Out the door from my room and a few steps away is the hostel restaurant "Funky Monkey". It is an outdoor but covered restaurant that is very affordable. They serve a nice variety of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I would come here every morning to have the "Costa Rican" breakfast and check emails. Also a nice place to relax and have a few drinks after a long day.

To the back of the hostel is where you find the dorms, the pool, and the kitchen. I loved this pool in the evenings after being out in the sun all day. Just floating around with a beer. I definitely made use of the kitchen a few times and it was interesting to talk to the other people from around the world as we ate together. Also, every night a movie would be played via a projector on a big wall that overlooks the pool. Nice place to hang out on some pool chairs and share some drinks!

I stayed here for about a week and had a blast. Affordable, convenient, and very fun. My only complaint, and I have read some of the other reviews, were the mattresses. They were a little thin and sometimes I would wake up with a bit of a sore back. I was told that they were aware of the problem and were in the process of taking action.

If you are planning on visiting Manuel Antonio, I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Diego E, Gerente at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking out your valuable time to post your review on this TripAdvisor forum and for choosing National Park Backpackers (NPBP) for your recent stay in Manuel Antonio.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion. NPBP Team is proud to keep up with your expectations.

Thank you again for the time taken to provide us with your valuable feedback, we certainly look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

With Kindest Regards,
Diego Elizondo.
General Manager.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Being from NYC, the first thing I always do when I get to a hotel is check for bedbugs. I got my flashlight out, and they were in every bed of our room in the hostel. When we told the person at the front desk, he gave us our money back, as there was no way we were going to stay there. He did, however, seem to know full well of the big problem. Which just means that this hostel knows about the problem, but chooses not to do anything about it. Otherwise, location is next to the national park. But again, beware, it's hidden up a bumpy dirt road and not easy to find. Definitely will not be coming here again.

• Stayed December 2012
I must say we are very surprised and disappointed with this review... After trying to dispute it with Trip Advisor (because it seems a suspicious review) with no results.. I have to reply in our defense:
1) First, we DO NOT have bedbugs problem in our hostel.
2) We DO NOT have in our records any money refunded for this reason during the dates he travelled to Manuel Antonio.
3) "Location is hidden up a bumpy dirt road and not easy to find" The way to get to our Hostel is really easy, we are just 100 mts away from the National Park entrance (paved road) and this review says that we are in a bumpy road (???) ...
Anyway, thank you for giving us the opportunity to reply and hope they find some happiness elsewhere in their journey.
Thank you for taking the time to post your subjective review on this TripAdvisor forum.
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here with to of my friends in a dorm for a night just becuase we alredy payed for it. Well the dorm was dirty, dark, and smelled like smoke. I'll try to explaint who are the dorms, porbably it was a place where they have chikens before, so they just divided it into dorms with a terrible ventilation and lighting. They also offfer locker, but you must buy the lock. The mattres are tho worse just imagine you can feel the wood under it.

Then the in the kitchen area, the stove didn't work, actually set on fire when a woman was trying to cook.

The night that we stayed were a lot of locals staying there too, and they showed no respect for anyone they were making noise until 2:00 a.m. and then start again at 6:00 a.m.

I have travel like a backpaker around the world and definitely this is one of the worse places to stay. There other better and cheaper place on the are

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Diego E, Manager at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Arskasv:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this forum! We feel bad that you didn´t have a great time with us...
In our defense, I have to say that our electrical stove is working pretty well as always. What happened is that some guest left the stove on for a long time so it started to burn the burner. that´s already fixed.
We have a guard that is ensuring safety and tranquility at our hostel, so if people is doing noise very late they will be stopped immediately by our guard.
It is forums like Tripadvisor that assist us to improve our overall service to our valued guests!
Greensboro, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

National Park Backpackers has a nice location, right next to the entrance of the park (though the trade off is that you're further from The beach and supermarket and "town"), but unfortunately that's where the compliments end. The real deal breaker was the mattresses, which are by far the worst I have encountered in 3 years of backpacking in some of the cheapest hostels. I didn't believe the reviews myself, I assumed people were being picky because I personally don't mind foam mattresses. Wow. I think someone has had to TRY to make these mattresses so bad. You could feel evey uneven an gapping board below you, it was miserable. The horrible pillows are easy to deal with but I woke up with such a sore back from the mattresses it made hiking in the national park miserable. And I don't have back problems! It was literally that the mattresses are SO bad. Your sleep will be distrupted further by the fact that you can hear your neighbors Ever whisper, Every word of their conversation like you were there. I guess the walls between the privates are paper thin, i was shocked how well i could hear people a few Doors down. The dorm walls dont even reach the ceiling so theyre just as Bad or worse. The common area is a nice place to meet people but unfortunately not well maintained. There were dirty dishes sitting in the sink for at least 2 days (I checked out after 1 but came back to get my food out of the kitchen). The nightly movie screenings are a good idea but poorly run. For $30 for a private there are much, much better deals to be had. Skip this one, your back and goodnights sleep will thank you.

• Stayed December 2012
Diego E, Manager at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
The management and staff here at NPBP are extremely sorry that this guest was not happy with her stay at our Hostel. However, for the sake of TripAdvisor readers, we feel compelled to reply.
If this particular guest had simply told us about her situation during her stay we would have done everything possible to ensure her stay to be more pleasant…
Allow me to please address each of the points by the guest’s complaints:

Our location: Michelle pointed out very well our great location near the National Park, but I would like also to clarify that we actually are in a walkable distance to the supermarket and beach (about 250mts away only). And I guess most of tourists would rather to be closer to the National Park and its beaches than the town.

Mattresses: We actually have doubled up some of our mattresses and already are going to buy 21 new mattresses so this problem will be hopefully solved very soon. We indeed are very sorry that you had not told us about this, so we could move you to other room with better conditions.

Our walls: Michelle I see that even you just booked one night in a private room, you had the time to look at our dorms… Being the manager for about 8 months ago, I had not heard this before, but I definitely going to check this with our maintenance department and look for a solution.

Our common area and nightly movie: Thank you very much for pointing out that our common area is really nice and the nightly movie is a great idea. Our housekeeping ladies always clean this area all mornings and before they leave at 3pm again, we have signs were clearly says that every guest has to wash their dishes (as every hostel) but a few of them don´t do it, anyway we´ll be taking more care about this from now on.

We take all reviews here on Tripadvisor seriously and strive every day to consider the content each review and make any necessary changes.
For those of you considering a visit to our Hostel, if there is a way we can make your stay better, we kindly ask that you inform us while you are in the Hostel, as we are more than happy to accommodate you in any way that we can!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our stay here was relaxing & fun. The hostel is great. Nice rooms & beautiful clean pool right outside the door. Food is yummy & reasonably priced. The National Park is only a few yards away & was stunning with loads of animals & butterflies, with beautiful beaches. Every night they play a movie outside in a giant screen. The staff were great & so friendly. I can highly recommend this hostel as a must when visiting Costa Rica!! Would love to go back!!! :-)

• Stayed November 2012
Diego E, Gerente at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Hello Lottipop!
What a brilliant review you have written... We all the staff at NPBP are very happy that you had enjoyed in the most beatiful National Park in Costa Rica which is just 100mts away from us.
A great thanks for recommending our hostel to everybody and we would love also to see you again someday!!!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is a nice, simple hostel! We stayed in a private room, which was basic (an ok bed, and a little storage space) but clean. The site though is really nice: a pool, a kitchen if you want to cook your own food, and movies at night outside! Would be nice to have a better wifi and more fridges, but it wasn't a problem at all! It is also right next door from the national park and there are many restaurants for all price range in Manuel Antonio, walking distance from the hostel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Diego E, Manager at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks to our recent friend from Quebec for such a nice review on this forum.
We are actually improving our wifi connection and our fridge although it´s really big we are considering to put more when we have more people staying.
Welcome back anytime to paradise where our staff will be happy to host you!!!
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is an excellent hostel! Super great atmosphere, nice set-up, clean, and the movies at night on the projector was an definite plus. It's just minutes away from the National Park, which is so beautiful- worth spending an afternoon in. As a side note, Manuel Antonio beach was probably the most beautiful beach I've been too.. rainforest meets the ocean with monkeys near by! The restaurant food is good, and there is also a kitchen to do your own cooking too. All in all, I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Diego E, Manager at National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Regina,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hostel on this TripAdvisor forum... Our location is just perfect being just some steps away from the georgeous National Park and its nice beaches. Thanks also for pointing out our cleanliness and our different movie played every night by our pool.
You are welcome back anytime.
Diego Elizondo / Manager.

Been to National Park Backpackers Manuel Antonio? Share your experiences!