“Not Worth The $60 (USD)!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Jade Tours - Private Tours

Costa Rica Jade Tours - Private Tours
Manuel Antonio | Manuel Antonio National Park, Manuel Antonio National Park 60601, Costa Rica
2777 0932
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rica Jade Tours is a local tour company in beautiful Manuel Antonio. We offer the best activities and tours to help make all your vacation dreams come true. Contact us so we can help you discover the most exciting adventures and exotic treasures from this spectacular land. You may never want to leave!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Worth The $60 (USD)!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Everyone raved about how great Mario Brennes of Costa Rica Jade Tours was so we decided to call him up to set up a tour. Mario was very pleasant on the phone and agreed to take us on a personal tour the following day at 8am. We arrived at the designated location and found out that Mario was not going to be our guide and that he had arranged for a replacement. In addition, there was another couple that was also booked for the same guide. Our replacement guide was a nice fellow, however, all he did was follow the other guides around the park who had already spotted an animal of interest. In a nutshell, Mario did not meet the expectations he had set for us, nor did his services reflect what we read on Tripadvisor.

Visited August 2012
mariobrady, Owner at Costa Rica Jade Tours - Private Tours, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hi Mr Bernard,
Thank you for sharing your opinion. And once again I ask you apologize for not being your tour guide as you were expecting to. I know I told you that I had availability for that morning and we agreed to go on the next morning.
There are few things that you haven't said in your review and I will:
1. You booked your tour as a group tour going with other people (You paid only $60 for two adults and one kid and even the tickets to enter the park were all included in this very discounted price - We normally charge $37 per person).
2. The guide that I choosed for your tour is a highly experienced guide with 13 years as a naturalist in Manuel Antonio National Park and he is very well loved in the park because of his excellent tours. His name is Adrian Eras.
3. That morning I told you that I had a situation and had to take my wife to the hospital - As a very responsible person in my business I took part of that morning to go to the park and see you in order to explain to you why I was not gonna be your tour guide.
But it seems like this was not enough for you and I feel that the reason of why you posted a bad review is because you are jealous for not having come in the tour with me as your guide. And this is no fair at all.
Mr Bernard please understand that I am a human being and I have a family and situations can happen in just a second.
I hope the best for you and if you ever comeback someday to CR I will have my doors open for offering you my services for you and your family in order to remedy your experience. I never forget a bad review so I'll always keep you in mind. Thanks!!!

San Marcos, Texas
“Awesome tours!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We took our first tour with Mario Brenes at Manuel Antonio and he did a wonderful job! It was a very reasonable price and he was extremely knowledgeable about the various flora and fauna. We had very specific goals for our trip to Costa Rica and Mario helped us accomplish many of them. We went out on multiple nights just to find a single elusive species of snake, and Mario wouldn't give up until we found it. Finally, on the last night we found our beautiful quarry! Seeing Mario's passion and excitement for nature during our tours was a refreshing change of pace in comparison to some other tour guides we've come across. His unwavering optimism and quite confidence always made it feel as if the next great find was always waiting right around the corner. A great guide and even better person!

Thanks again Mario!

Visited July 2012
Bethesda, MD
4 attraction reviews
“Stellar Tour with Exceptional Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Last Sunday afternoon, my son and I took a private tour of Manual Antonio National Park with the marvelous Mario Brennes of Costa Rica Jade Tours. From start to finish, Mario was a delight. First, he did us the huge favor of talking us into an afternoon tour, which enabled us to avoid the large crowds that swarm the park in the morning. Second, he was incredibly generous with his time, and wound up spending nearly four hours with us. Most important, he is an expert naturalist who is truly passionate about sharing his knowledge and love of the environment and the plants and creatures that inhabit it. In addition to providing a wealth of information, Mario did an excellent job of making a long, hot afternoon interesting for a my 13 year old son, who -- among other things -- got a huge kick out of Mario's astonishing bird and animal calls. He is also an outstanding photographer, and was happy to use my camera to take many stunning photos through his telescope. My only regret is that we were unable to squeeze in another tour (such as the evening mangrove tour) with Mario before returning home. We would follow him just about anywhere!

Orlando, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent guide and fantastic tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We are family with 2 little children - 5 and 3 year old and we chose the afternoon tour. It was very hot and we thought the tour with the kids will be a disaster but Mario is the best guide ever) He made the kids to feel so engaged and interested in surroundings and the wildlife that the tour turned out to be the greatest experience in Manuel Antonio. We saw all the possible wildlife : frogs, monkeys, snake,bugs, sloths, iguana etc. Mario gave us a lot of the information about the plants and animals- he is very knowledgeable and have been in the business for 12 years. He also managed to deliver the information in the way that kids could understand it too) My son still makes the sounds of the different monkeys that Mario taught him.)Great tour and the best guide!

Cupertino, CA
8 attraction reviews
“Great tour guide for Manuel Antonio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We did the Manuel Antonio hike with Mario Brennes. We were a little put-off at the start of the hike because of the crowds, but Mario won us over with his great enthusiasms and knowledge. He pointed out all kinds of animals along the way: from the small (spider, grasshoppers, crabs) to the large (monkeys, sloths). Great to see the animals through his scope, and very good job with helping us take pictures of them - our 10-year-old daughter loved this. Fantastic tour. Highly recommended!

One more note: very honest guide. We first booked his tour without a car/with pickup at hotel at a higher price ($40), then told him we had a car and will meet him at the park. Since he offers a tour at a lower price for those who meet him at the park, he just charged us the lower price without any hesitation. Very impressed with the honest way we have been dealt with at most of the tours/activities we used in Costa Rica. Mario is a great example of this.

Visited July 2012