“Good and Bad Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Road to Manuel Antonio Park, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Continental
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Good and Bad Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This restaurant was really cool with the old plane that serves as a bar and the openness to the environment around it. I got a banana milkshake sort of thing and that was the most delicious drink I had in my entire two weeks in Costa Rica. I shared some of my friends' nacho appetizer and that was quite yummy. I ordered the El Avion Tuna, but was caught off guard when he asked me if I would like it cooked medium well, so I told him I would like it as well as I could get it, but he didn't seem to understand, so I just said medium well. When I got the fish, it was a good sized portion, but in the dim lighting, I couldn't tell if the inside had been cooked or not, so I just ate around the edges. What I did eat of the tuna was delicious. The worst part of our experience was with the rolls. I had just taken a roll and some butter when my friend stopped me. She whispered, "There are ants on the rolls." So I looked closely at my roll and saw that there were two dead ants on my roll. Then she showed me the plate that she had gotten with rolls and there were ants crawling on the rolls! It was nearly impossible to have noticed this in the dim lighting unless you were looking closely at your food. I ate the inside of the roll anyways, which was soft and delicious and ant-free. I hope that it was just a mistake that one night.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

When I first arrived in Manuel Antonio it was dark so when I saw what looked like a cargo plane sticking out of the restaurant, I at first thought darkness had obscured my vision. Sure enough, it was a plane - that in itself is a novelty. The restaurant is built around this plane - the inside of the plane has been converted into a bar area. The remainder of the restaurant encompasses two floors with some great views of the water.
I found the wait staff very helpful and friendly and the food was awesome. We ordered the seafood platter (special of the day) and it did not disappoint - loads of seafood more than we could eat. Sangrias are delicious too.
Another bonus...it was right across from our hotel the Casitas Eclipse.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Beautiful view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

After an exhausting morning and afternoon of hiking in Manuel Antonio we needed a rest! We sat outside with an amazing water view and enjoyed beer, a refreshing fruit frappe, and excellent nachos while we relaxed and watched a rain storm moving in.

Visited May 2013
Atlanta Georgia
“5 stars.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have lived in the area on and off for years. I never went to El Avion as I thought it was expensive.
I was in Costa Rica with friends this visit and they wanted to go there for dinner, so off we went. What an incredible experience! I can not say enough good things about this restaurant and I am just sorry I hadn't gone before this. We were greeted, and seated with a lovely view. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful especially to my friends who explained this was their first trip to Costa Rica and didn't speak Spanish. He went out of his way to make them feel comfortable. The menu was quite extensive, having something for everyone's pallet. I ordered the Filet Mignon which was cooked to perfection, tasty and tender, and nearly filled my entire plate! Was one of the best meals of the trip. The prices are NOT what I consider expensive, on the contrary, they are very reasonable, and much cheaper than a lot of restaurants in the area, where the food is certainly not the quality of El Avión. I make frequent trips to Costa Rica, and can't wait to return for another dining experience with you.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Nope”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went starved so obviously it wouldn't take much to impress us, right? Wrong.
Food was so gross. They say they make their own bread for the sandwiches? Nope. French fries, gross.
The only plus to this restaurant was their dessert. I got the coconut flan and my hub got the chocolate cake :) yummy.
Nice view of the beach though.

Visited May 2013