“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Prats Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Villa Prats Hotel
10 metros de entrada manuel ant. nat park, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
escondido
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was the first placed we stayed in Costa Rica. Looking back, it probably was the best value we experienced our entire trip. For $45 or so a night we had a comfortable bed, an extra twin for our stuff, a TV with cable (a lifesaver when we dared not emerge during the heat and humidity of mid-day), AC, mini-fridge and wifi. The pool was nice. Facilities were nice as well. They were working on renovations during our stay, but did not bother us. Walk-able to the entrance of Manuel Antonio and to the town's main drag. I recommend breakfast down the street at the Backbacker's lodge.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I want to start by saying that you wouldn't stay at Villa Prats if you were after a 5 star holiday as there are much nicer hotels in the area however for the budget conscious travelers who is after all the amenities then this place was really good. My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights, we called up and they offered us a room for $40AUD a night which for the area is incredibly cheap, we were skeptical based on the price however the room was perfect for what we needed, it had a double and single bed, a couch TV with cable, free wi if and a fridge which was very impressive, the pool was small but we didn't really use it and the location is amazing, a 30 second walk to the entrance of Manuel Antonio and a 5 min stroll to the beach. Just some small low points if you are after reception service there was hardly anyone ever there as they live above the hotel but if you need the, you could find them, we did have to ask for towels a couple of times but that was about it. The place is also very secure with electronic key entry to enter the building.

Stayed April 2012
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Simple room, clean, friendly staff (doesnt always speak english). Small swimming pool if you want to get a cool swim after a long hot day. We even checked in at 12am and someone was waiting for us at so late at night, really appreciated it. Location cannot be better, you are exactly 30sec walk from the entrance of the park!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
westminster, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed here two nights or our honeymoon trip. The services was over the top. The owner of the hotel greeted us and gave all the propers tips/directions what to do around the area. We forgot the rosary when we left, the owner emailed us and offer to send us when he's in USA. We short some souvenirs so we asked the owner if he could buy and we were going to pay him back. He even offered to send us the rosary & souvenirs without getting anything back in return.

I couldn't ask for anything more. Thanks for a great time and hospitality

Room Tip: Go to http://www.villapratscr.com/ to book a room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

the best feature of this hotel is the near perfect location! nice place with a small pool. good AC. we had to move from room to room during our 3 nites. friendly staff. hard to find as it is located on a gravel laneway beside the end loop bus/taxi stand. clean and secure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The room I stayed in was awful - the "bed" was a piece of foam that was sunken in the middle, the fridge had rust all over it on the outside, the floors were dirty, and the paint job inside the room was very old and very bad. The room was very small, and the one and only window was to the walkway inside the hotel, so it needed to be closed at all times for privacy but left a 4 inch opening on the side, making me feel paranoid about changing anywhere else other than inside the bathroom since anyone could see inside my room whenever they wanted.

There were small bugs inside the bathroom and all over my bed - I showed this to the manager, and he chose to respond by accusing me of bringing the bugs to the hotel myself! Which is ridiculous since I know that there were zero bugs at the last place I stayed, and once I left this place for my next destination, there were no bugs to be found anywhere so these bugs did not come with me or stay with me afterwards! The manager claimed the beds were new mattresses (hahahahah! really, new with such an uncomfortable sleep since the middle is caved in and I have to lay down on a curve?! And a piece of foam is NOT a mattress!) and used new mattresses as the rational to support his claim of it couldn't possibly be any other reason than me bringing the bugs there! He then proceeded to tell me that just a couple of days ago they had to fumigate another room because those guests brought bugs with them. No apology, just accusing me of causing the problem vs. saying "I am sorry, let me see if I can move you to another room" or "I am sorry but this is costa rica and bugs are everywhere" which would have been perfectly acceptable. So I got to watch small bugs crawl all over my stuff on the bathroom sink and all over my bed for my entire stay. Yuck!

The young boy (owner's son?) who works the front desk responds to your inquiry or complaint or whatever, but never a smile, never an apology. The outdoor pool and surrounding area is rundown, small, and def not appealing to spend any time there. "Pool" is above ground and tiny.

2 stars for air conditioning, quiet at night, and the convenient location being super close to the park entrance.

I would definitely not stay here again (I tried to move to another hotel, but no one had availability for the nights I was in MA) and I would definitely not recommend staying here!

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
frankprats, Owner at Villa Prats Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
thankyou for taking time to review my property, i saw first your reviews and 6 out of 10 are almost identical to my hotel, before you came to the hotel you ask for a discount, i gave it to you, when you arrived after your 6 complaint , first the room was hot, then a bloncket the room to cold, then the floor was dirty, i came and saw the room clean the you wanted towels on the floor we put them for you then an ant in the shower we fumigated the bathroom, at this time i knew you are what we caled problem guest is the type that tries to get free stay, since you were a female alone i istructed all my male workers not to speak or smile at you and have the least contact any complains to come to me, that is the reason you said my workers were unfriendly is my fault, you forgot to put down that your stay was so bad that you stay longer then what you had planned, 3 days to be exact, also about the bugs i ask you to open your suit case you declined, but i istructed the maid to check your garbage ther we found a plastic bag with roton fruit, to finish the taxi you told us to call for you came back and i had to pay 4 dollars since you said that you were not going to pay the full fare because the air cond did not operate correctly
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I am a single woman and I traveled by bus to Manuel Antonio from San Jose after one week volunteer experience (see my review although it is listed under Guatemala (?) - Maximo Nivel.

I had stayed in La Posada two years ago and it was lovely but they were booked this time. So I reserved 2 nights almost next door at Villa Prats Hotel.

How wonderful it was! The concierge was a young man who was exceptional, from reservations, carrying my bags up the second floor and bringing them down again when I left, to bringing a phone to me when I had a phone call (no phones in room), fixing my shower when the water was not hot - bringing 3 people within 3 minutes and in 10 minutes it was completely ok, making a wonderful traditional breakfast, as I mention above, he was unbelieveable!

I did not go into the pool area but from the sounds of laughter of the adults and children at the pool, was probably a lot of fun!

All of this and it was half the price of other hotels in this area. I could walk in 3 minutes to the entrance of the Park (for a tour that I recommend highly) or to the Beach! Perfect for me!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Villa Prats Hotel? Share your experiences!