“Our teenagers loved their lesson at MASS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manuel Antonio Surf School

Manuel Antonio Surf School
Playa Espadilla Manuel Antonio | Quepos, Puntarenas, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
+506 2777 4842
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Water sports
Attraction Details
Ottawa
“Our teenagers loved their lesson at MASS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We were in Manuel Antonio during the Easter with two teenagers and signed them up for surfing lessons at MASS. I called prior to leaving on the trip to find out more -staff were extremely helpful and accommodating on the phone. They arranged a pick up and drop off at the hotel. The instructors did a great job - the girls really enjoyed their lesson. I would highly recommend this activity and this surf school in Manuel Antonio! Enjoy!

Visited April 2012
CostaRicaAventuras, Public Relations Manager at Manuel Antonio Surf School, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are happy and honored you chose to spend Easter with us and that we had the chance to take your daughters surfing. Happy parents, happy kids, and they were also great students. It was a pleasure to share our passion for the waves with your family and we hope you return to the area! Happy and safe travels...and of course, PURA VIDA from all of us at MASS

Toronto, Canada
“Excellent surf school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Patient teachers, we had never surfed before and had a great time. The teachers are fun and knowledgable and very courteous.
Great experience.

Visited March 2012
Thank you for your 5-star review! We are happy and honored you chose to share your very first surfing experience with MASS and that it was a truly positive one. It is always a pleasure to share our passion for the waves with travelers, and we love beginners, and excel at teaching them safely and always with fun. We hope you return to the area and that you will experience surfing again in the near future! Happy and safe travels...and PURA VIDA from all of us at MASS
Ambler, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
“Great surf school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

My 14 year old daughter took a surf lesson with MASS. It was great. She was nervous the night before because it was kind of big but the they made her feel comfortable and took her to a great beginner beach, nice small break.
Instructors are all certified and were great.

Visited December 2011
Thank you for fantastic review! We are happy and honored you chose to share your holiday surfing with MASS. It was so awesome to see the entire family support your daughter during her surf lesson! We promised to calm her nerves and that we did...safety and FUN, always key. She was fantastic and all the pics show her amazing progress! We hope you return to the area and that this time, your entire family will join us in the waves:) Happy and safe travels...and PURA VIDA from all of us at MASS
Little Rock, AR
5 attraction reviews
“Surfing in Quepos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011 via mobile

Good group to go with. We have alot of time in the water to practice with the instructors and were basically 1 on 1. We had a group of 5 in the lesson with 4 instructors. The only thing they did not really teach us is how to anticipate the wave. They would just say ready? If we were they would tell us when to stand up etc. Of course it was only a 3hr lesson, so they were probably just focusing on us getting the feel for getting up and how to balance. It was a great experience. They were fairly quiet, but started cutting up towards the end surfing on their heads, etc.

Thank you for your great review and for the wonderful insights. You are absolutely correct in regard to the focus of the very first lesson for beginners, which is really to get you to feel confident enough to stand and surf your first wave. The basics and the safety lesson are crucial, but it truly is the practice and guidance in a safe location that do the rest. We do teach anticipating and reading the waves to students who are repeat surfers and to those who come surfing with us for a few days or more. We also go more into the details of wave conditions, more safety, equipment, surf etiquette,e tc...but the focus of the beginner regular lesson is to get you to stand up and surf, get introduced to the basics, and to understand how fantastic surfing is for one and all. Many are intimidated by it, and the ocean is amazing yet rip tides can be scary; we offer more individual attention especially to kids and beginners, so we really get to focus on YOU and your learning:) THANK YOU for sharing your time with MASS and we wish you many happy safe travels. PURA VIDA!
La Guácima, Alajuela, Costa Rica
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I arrived in Costa Rica in September to teach English during the week and travel the country on the weekends. One of my first weekend trips was Manuel Antonio. I had been planning to try surfing since I first started organizing my trip, and after looking at reviews, prices, and a few other factors, I decided to go with MASS.

Boy, am I glad I did! I was picked up right on time. Having never even touched a surf board before, I was a little nervous, but we went over the basics in the sand before getting in the water. Anthony was great; friendly, clear, and I could tell he simply loves what he does. We snacked on the most delicious, freshest pineapple about halfway through the lesson. By the end I was catching waves all over the place! I even got to the point where Anthony no longer needed to tell me when to stand; I could just feel it. I loved my experience so much that I came back to Manuel Antonio and am scheduled for another lesson tomorrow morning.

One of my favorite things about MASS is that they took me to a very private sand bar stretch where there was NO ONE but Anthony and me. I took a lesson in Tamarindo, and although I had a great time there too, the beach was packed with swimmers, other instructors/students from other companies, and people surfing on their own. With MASS, there was no waiting my turn for a wave or watching out to not crash or be crashed into.

If you go with MASS, you will not be disappointed! I wish I could surf with them every day.

Visited September 2011
CostaRicaAventuras, Public Relations Manager at Manuel Antonio Surf School, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you so much, Leah! It was a pleasure to have you return to MASS and for us to see how confident and improved you have become. Anthony had a blast instructing you both times, he DOES truly love what he does and he is fantastic at it. To see a student (a self-proclaimed Beginner student) connect so much with surfing is the best gift for us. Your feedback and your enthusiasm mean so much, and we hope that you continue with your passion. Actually, we really hope you return again and can surf every day.