“You can hear the waves from camp!!! <3” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mal Pais
Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort
Save Saved
You added Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort to your Saves list
Lista de Correo, Mal Pais, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Mal Pais
Tallahassee, Florida
“You can hear the waves from camp!!! <3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our stay was in 2011, but I thought I'd leave my feedback even though it has been a long time... I've got Costa Rica on my mind

Myself and a few friends stayed here for 8 nights and it was wonderful. Two of us stayed in a cabina and our other friend stayed in the rancho. The cabina was small, but it was all we needed. They offer a room with a double bed or you can take a room with bunk beds. There is no AC but they offer a fan. I think there may be rooms that offer AC for an additional cost if you want it. The rancho is an open-air hut with four beds (hostel style option). The rancho offered large lockers, unlike the cabina. However, the owner allowed us to leave our valuables with him and he kept them locked in a safe in his office for us. We had no problems using that as our option for security. We just carried what we needed for the next few days and got with him once we needed more cash, etc. Both the cabinas we stayed in and the ranchos share outhouse style bathrooms which I thought was nice because it gives you the feeling of showering outdoors without actually being seen by anyone.
The property is amazing, maybe even the best piece of land in the area. It has a beautiful pool, and a fully equipped recreation area with a pool table, ping pong table, indo board, swing, and lounging area. There was wifi but the signal strength was so-so. There is a big screen tv set up with cable and a selection of surf dvd's for visitors to enjoy. There is a bar and kitchen where the staff will whip you up great meals. Make sure you try a banana shake with cocoa. It was a great place to meet fellow travelers and share travel stories. Surf lessons are offered through the surf camp as well as board rentals. The staff was very nice and the owner has lived in the area for a very long time. He tends to mind himself, but is happy to talk with you and tell you anything you need to know if you just ask. If you're lucky you may even get a little surf session in with him.
The property is a short walk from the center of town, and an even shorter walk to a beautiful beach with great waves. You will see some wild animals on the property, and the resident dogs Roja and Alf are fun and friendly.
When we first arrived we heard that some guests had an issue with a break in to their room, but we chose to play it safe, taking managements advice for how to stay safe and we had no problems. However, if you are at all worried I hear that as of mid-2012 the owner has installed safes in all the rooms so now you should have NO WORRIES! Also I would imagine that the communal kitchen he was constructing at the time is now open for guests to use as an option to save a little money on food.

All in all, we were very happy with our stay and have recommended Mal Pais Surf Camp to all of our friends and family. Thank you guys, we'll be back!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wonderful, off the dirt road, great Pool! Quiet! short walk across st to the beach, very close to all the rest. in center of town! We rented the 1st floor of house! Fantastic with full kitchen bedrooms with air conditioning! Very safe, friendly. Great selections of surfboards, lessons daily if you want them. All types of rooms available indoor/open/camp sites/house rentals/bungalows etc. Lots of amenities and honor system at the bar! The Monkeys love it hear too!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

In the winter of 2012, a buddy and myself visited the Nicoya coast of Costa Rica for a surf adventure.
By far, the Mal Pais Surfcamp was the highlight of the trip. It has all of the amenities required to make your surf trip a comfortable success. The grounds are spacious and attractive with tropical plants and animals everywhere. The rooms are modern and clean. There is a refreshing pool. The food is excellent, large variety and reasonably priced. The gathering area and restaurant is Palapa style and casual. If the help is busy, you can grab your own beer or beverage and just mark it down on a clipboard. They have an extensive inventory of rental surfboards to chose from. Anything from short, ripper boards to long boards. The surfing beach is only a short walk down a path. This is a very relaxing, comfortable, safe, casual and surf oriented cool place to stay.

Room Tip: They have all types of rooms for different budgets. You can stay in an open type area with other tra...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I spent about a month with the wonderful people at this resort and I had the best vacation ever! The staff is so amazing and friendly. Douglas, Elise, H and Esteban are all wonderfully accommodating and helpful. All of them surf so if you are there to get your surf on .. they will definitely be a great source for information. I was traveling alone and had the best time of any trip I have ever taken.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The people who work there, the guests, the pool, the beach and the town are all awesome. I highly recommend it. It is a fun and relaxing place. They have a variety of accomodations. I stayed in an open air dorm Ranchero and it was nice. There is a fan above the bed, which keeps you cool at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from our two week vacation and it was amazing! Doug and Elise were such patient surf instructors and even though I was nervous they got me to stand on the board and catch some waves :) H was awsome and helped us book zip lining, hiking, renting ATV's, fishing trips ( we caught 27 fish in 3 hours!), and so much more. To be honest I was very nervous going to a "third world country" but I felt so safe at the surf camp and the amnesties felt like I was back in the USA. My husband and I met so many other travelers and I know we have made lifelong friends. Can't wait to bring my parents, siblings and nephews to Mal Pais Surf Camp!!

• Stayed July 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

From the pool to the Jungle Bar and resturant this is the place to be for a real purda vida experance! The rooms are awesome and they really make you feel like your in the jungle but you still have all the perks! The Wifi came in handy and having a kitchen was great too. We had 3 couples in our group and the House slept everyone well with room to spare. This is a great place for familys too lots of entertainment like, pool, pool table, balance boards, table tennis and tons of surf boards to rent.

Room Tip: There are accomadations for all types of travlers. Ranging from 10 to 65 dollars a night. Give them...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort? Share your experiences!