“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mal Pais
Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort
You added Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort to your Saves list
Lista de Correo, Mal Pais, Costa Rica   |
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The people who work there, the guests, the pool, the beach and the town are all awesome. I highly recommend it. It is a fun and relaxing place. They have a variety of accomodations. I stayed in an open air dorm Ranchero and it was nice. There is a fan above the bed, which keeps you cool at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from our two week vacation and it was amazing! Doug and Elise were such patient surf instructors and even though I was nervous they got me to stand on the board and catch some waves :) H was awsome and helped us book zip lining, hiking, renting ATV's, fishing trips ( we caught 27 fish in 3 hours!), and so much more. To be honest I was very nervous going to a "third world country" but I felt so safe at the surf camp and the amnesties felt like I was back in the USA. My husband and I met so many other travelers and I know we have made lifelong friends. Can't wait to bring my parents, siblings and nephews to Mal Pais Surf Camp!!

• Stayed July 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

From the pool to the Jungle Bar and resturant this is the place to be for a real purda vida experance! The rooms are awesome and they really make you feel like your in the jungle but you still have all the perks! The Wifi came in handy and having a kitchen was great too. We had 3 couples in our group and the House slept everyone well with room to spare. This is a great place for familys too lots of entertainment like, pool, pool table, balance boards, table tennis and tons of surf boards to rent.

Room Tip: There are accomadations for all types of travlers. Ranging from 10 to 65 dollars a night. Give them...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed in the Villas many time and the House(one up) a few times. Love the rooms. No air conditioning which is fine with me but some want it. Plenty of space inside for multiple people and lots of longboards. The design is the best I've seen in Mal Pais due to the cool tile floors and lots of ventilation on at least three sides. Bars on the windows add to the security and now that they have room safes( a recent and great addition) things are much simpler as far as keeping Passport and money secure. The beds are pretty comfortable. Bathrooms are nice. I really like the pool. It is big enough so you don't feel like you are in a hottub with strangers. The grounds are spacious and well tended. The food at the restaurant is high quality, and geared toward american taste, and reliably tasty and generous. The only places that I've stayed in mal pais that might rival the Surf Camp are somewhat more expensive. The surf camp vibe is very laid back and surfer friendly, to say the least. Doug(owner) is relaxed and has absorbed the Pura Vida attitude. Elise is just great and helpful. All of the young bar/restaurant servers are excellent. Boards for rent at good price, could stand to upgrade their rental fleet with some better Surftech longboards, 10feet and up. If you want a traditional Costa Rican experience, this isn't the best place but I've tried many places and I keep coming back to the Surf Camp cause it is so comfortable and I feel relaxed there. Short walk to the beach. I'm sure I'll be back many times as long as I can keep getting upright on my surfboard. I've only stayed in the Villas and the houses and can't comment on the other rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in a villa here for two nights. Overall, it was definitely a great place to stay. It had a big open area in which people could "hang out" in (also, the only place where there was internet)...it included a pool table, ping pong table, children's play area, etc.

Room Tip: If I had one recommendation, it would be to get the rooms with a/c...although the villa was larger...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was traveling solo and decided to stay at Surf Camp in June. What a fantastic place! The grounds are beautiful and the staff members are so friendly. It was the slow season, so the restaurant was not open. However, there is an onsite communcal kitchen area where you can keep and prepare food if desired. The bar opened each night and Esteban was great! I met a bunch of new people and really enjoyed my time here relaxing at the pool or hanging out in the bar area. I also took a surf lesson with Doug who was very kind and patient! I definitely hope to return to Surf Camp. Thank you for being such a great part of my trip!

Room Tip: There is a BIG difference between the cabinas with shared bathroom (which is actually located outsid...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Started staying at the surf camp in 2000. We tried a couple other places in the area but found none that had the qualities of the surf camp. The staff is friendly and very helpful no matter what your adventure for the day. The property is a five minute walk from the town center but just far enough away not to hear the night life late into the evening. Simply put, I go back the same time every year and almost always see the same people. They keep coming back, that's a statement right there. See you all next year. Cape May Dave.

Room Tip: Whatever fits your budget from a tent to an air conditioned house.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort? Share your experiences!