“Hotel Oasis Mal Pais” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Mal Pais
beach haven, nj
“Hotel Oasis Mal Pais”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

Just got home from the best vacation of my life. i went with my girlfriend and friend. we dont surf and still kept busy doing fun things everyday. the beds and cabinas were perfect and the staff made us feel like family. i would reccomend this hotel to anyone. romantic get a way or a family vacation or a surf trip. all around great place to stay

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — that the monkeys never came
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

If you like bugs this is the place for you! If you dont... I dont suggest you stay here.... Im pretty easy going when it comes to accomadations, all I need is a bed, and a fan and a place for my surf board, and Im good to go. But when you wake up in the middle of the evening for a drink and you can't even seem to make it out of your room because.. im not even kidding you.. there is a trail of bugs in your room....NO THANKS
I was as good as checked out the next day and the lady who owns the place wouldnt let me leave because I had booked for 10 days and she was going to charge me for the 10 days reguardless.
The pool was constantly groggy... the only thing that kept me going was the graciousness of one of the locals that worked there, he didnt speak english which is okay.. but he was so nice and helped out so much!! and always seemed to smile no matter what!
The icing on the cake was two nights in a row I saw two of the biggest spiders i had ever seen... one was on the porch of my cabin it was tranchula looking, ( i thought it was a crab at first, it was so big) and the other was the size of a tuna can.. and it jumped- that one was in our room!!
I know its Costa Rica, and i expect to see these sorts of things..... just not where i sleep....
Franks Place is where its at if your visiting Mal Pais... They are clean, have securtiy... and everyone is so nice!!! To bad they were full when we were there!
It wasnt my first time in Mal Pais... and its not my last... but i wont be staying there again.

Stayed January 2009
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

For the ride across the ocean on a barge, and the rocky drive to Mal Pais, I wouldn't recommend this "hotel."

There is not much to this property, and if you are used to nice accomodations don't stay here. There is a little cooking area outside with a refrigerator. Inside, there is little more than just beds. I know that one goes to Mal Pais for surfing, but I wanted to watch TV before falling asleep. There was no TV (there might be now).

The doors allow plenty of bugs to crawl under at night, along with geckos, to join you in bed or make noises on your ceilings at night.

There was a property next door that showed movies, outdoors, at night while the crabs crawled across your feet. Other than that, I was aware of no night life.

Mal Pais is mostly a surfing area, not suitable for those of us that are used to entertainment and nicer hotels.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

Stayed at Hotel El Oasis in Mal Pais on the Nicoya Peninsula for 3 nights. Overpriced - cabins aren't kept up well. Ceiling fan was very noisy and didn't work well. They did promptly deliver a standing fan which worked great, but they seemed a bit annoyed. There were burnt out light bulbs, and a very worn out set of pots and pans and cutlery for the kitchen. I think $70 a night is too much for what they offer. Their little pool is nice, but quite small. When we were awakened by someone next door zooming around on a motorcycle for 1/2 an hour, we complained to the Oasis staff who looked at us like we were crazy to complain. They didn't seem concerned about provided top notch service here.

Been to Hotel Oasis? Share your experiences!