“I have never been anywhere like it!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Vista de Olas
Vista de Olas Dr. | Mal Pais de Cobano Apto.#93, Mal Pais 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Mal Pais
Chicago, Illinois
“I have never been anywhere like it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Traveling around Costa Rica, this place is really unique, far from the action in a good way. The views are breathtaking, particularly while taking a dip in the pool watching the sunset. The staff was great. I put on quite a show for them (and my friends) when a gekko fell from the rafters of the restaurant, surprising both me and the gekko when he (or she?) landed on my shoulder! All in good fun...I will remember my stay here forever!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Rhetorical question of the day:
Is it worth it to stay at a place that you will immediately miss, the moment that you leave?
Yes, yes, a million times yes!

I came here for a solo week-long trip, knowing that I would be able to find a good time in Costa Rica. What I didn't expect was to find it so effortlessly in one place. Vista de Olas, as pure real estate, is stunning all on it's own. Horizon stretching views make pool-side relaxation otherworldly. The private rooms make it feel like you have the place to yourself. Howler monkeys and hummingbird show you the beauty of being in a rain forest. All the available diversions, atv trips, zip lines, surfing, and more, ensure that you will have a great time every day.
But, what really sets this place apart are the people. The staff become friends, and Roger, Heidi, and their boys make you feel like one of their family.

There are simply not enough good words to say about this place! If you have even the slightest interest, book this place now! I will be back here again.

Nathan

• Stayed August 2014
Grimes, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

They view is the best in the area. Roger went out of his way to see to it that our trip was what we expected. The bed was the best I have ever slept in period. the excursions that we took with them were the best. Advice: Fly to Tambor from San Jose and pick up your 4 wheel drive car there.

Room Tip: wifi was up at the resturaunt and bar area. only 5 villas to choose from and ours had the best view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here in April of this year. We were looking to discount from the world and enjoy a vacation away. This is a place for the self-sufficient traveler and adventurer. Our desire on this vacation was to explore Costa Rica by day, spend time on the beach and have a nice place to go back to at night and this was the perfect place for that. The hotel grounds are very clean, well kept and safe. Our room was cleaned everyday and the staff was always nice and courteous. The view from the pool is incredible and I enjoyed every sunset from there while we were there. Yes, the pool area is open to the public and you get a lot of younger people for Happy Hour which for some would be annoying, but we ended up finding very entertaining and made for a good laugh. A simple breakfast is served every morning and you can have dinner at the hotel in the evenings from the grill. One day we were given an ATV tour from Roger's son to Montezuma waterfalls which was extremely fun. He was a great tour guide and very informative. We ended up renting the ATV for the duration of our stay which made getting around the country side extremely easy and fun. Another day, Roger setup a canopy tour for us. We ended up becoming friends with Roger, his wife Heidi and their sons by the end of the trip. We talked to them a lot about all their adventures and they gave us good recommendations for day trips we could take and place to see. We had a great time at Vista de Olas and would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband & I drove @ 5 1/2 hours, including the ferry, from San Jose to get there. It was worth the trip!
Gorgeous location overlooking the Pacific Ocean, helpful owners, fun excursions. Only thing I missed was attempting to surf, as the waves were too high when we were there.
Loved the floral bouquet Heidi put together for me that my sister requested for my birthday!
Met lots of interesting people from AK, KS, CA, etc.
Must eat at The Bakery, Al Chile Viola & Habanero's.

Room Tip: Villa 3...closest to ocean...farthest away from other villa's....
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This destination is certainly worth the time it takes to get here! Roger is the owner and he personally greeted us shortly after our arrival. He and his staff are attentive and hospitable. They are very helpful if you want suggestions for excursions or other guidance while you are in Mal Pais.

The property itself is breathtakingly beautiful, as it is situated in the rainforest, overlooking the coast. The grounds are meticulously maintained and the villas are outstandingly designed.

Vista de Olas truly provides the opportunity for folks to absolutely "unplug" from the rat race. The environment is conducive to connecting with nature, listening for monkeys, and anticipating the next phenomenal sunset.

The food was delicious, so if you do not want to venture away for dinner, stay and enjoy! They serve fresh salads that rival any we have enjoyed in fine restaurants. Breakfasts are well-portioned and the offering is different each day.

Room Tip: All of the villas are ocean view, you can't go wrong...must see!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I definitely recommend this place to anyone interested in coming to Costa rica, the view is breathtaking, the service is unlike no other (I genuinely miss the staff) and the location couldn't have been better. Thank you Roger and the entire staff for a wonderful experience. Pura Vida!

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!