“Fabulous stay at Vista de Olas!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Vista de Olas
Vista de Olas Dr. | Mal Pais de Cobano Apto.#93, Mal Pais 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 10 hotels in Mal Pais
Bend, Oregon
“Fabulous stay at Vista de Olas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

From the moment we left, until the very last moment of our trip, the staff at Vista de Olas was certain that our stay was perfect! Beautiful location with views and off the path to make it private. We were able to have a surf lesson, ATV tour of the area to a waterfall, zip line tour of the canopy, watch a local surf contest, enjoy many beaches and local restaurants, as well as enjoy a hearty and healthy breakfast every morning and wonderful barbecue dinner while staying at Vista de Olas! I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: View the website and select your room. All are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Cocoa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

From our arrival to the tambor airport we were met with hospitality. it only continued at the hotel. The Crew working this place are amazing, Roger, Heidi, boys and staff treated my friend and I like family from the start, and it only got better. The view and activities were fantastic, the ATV tour and zip line battle each other for first place. I fully intend to book again for next year and actually surf this time. The horse riding on the beach is engrained in history as my Facebook profile photo. This trip was outstanding, I highly recommend this hotel its so worth the memories you will create. I am still on a Costa Rica vacation high..
Thanks Vista crew. You are truly fabulous.

Room Tip: There are five villas to choose from, mine was villa 4 and it was just as the website showed. Absolu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
La Serena, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

from the first day Roger and Heidi, their boys made me feel like family i have been all over the world to many resorts but this is the first one that i truly hated to leave--got me so stoked about the area im already looking for property in the same area.
the surfing was totaly awesome-atv ride was a hoot--and zip line i could do a couple of times. as far as the resort itself the dinners were out of this world loved the ribs--guess i just loved the total kick back aura of the resort and never felt so at home on a vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We miss The view of the ocean at Vista De Olas, and Roger, Heidi and the boys. The atv tour was the best, thanks Swen. We also really enjoyed the boat adventure and surfing lessons Michi and Antony were great. The fish and mohito's were so delish at the resort. It was an epic trip. Thank you. Jamie and Jay.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Nice mix of hotel luxury with real jungle experience lol! House keeping, A/C, fridge, coffee maker, etc all in the room/villa, amazing breakfasts and dinners, swim up bar and infinity pool, ALL the luxury you look for in a typical hotel! However vista de olas then gives it it's own local flair: beautiful scenery, secluded villas (we were in villa 3 and it is the perfect honeymoon villa!) tours that aren't super touristy and take you up slippery cliffs and local roads , casual attire, just enough bugs to make I feel like you're in the wild but not to make you run lol (take bug spray if bugs like you, I'm terrified and they Didnt bother me they stay away from people generally) and the possibility to go out and roam on your own. The staff gives you genuine advice not things to take yor money. Remember this is a business too so obviously some things are a little expensive like drinks but not too bad. He owner roger and his boys were so fun and helpful! I have nothing bad to say! It's a must! Go to vista de olas people!

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We are so glad we booked at Vista and had the chance to get to experience an incredibly relaxing yet adventurous trip to Mal Pais! Roger and Heidi were amazing and we loved the low-key vibe and awesome hospitality they offered us. We enjoyed Villa #2 in mid July and I'd go back in a heart beat. The weather was great, I loved the rain storms, breakfast was amazing each morning and we always had plenty of options of stuff to do (ATV tour, horseback riding, surfing, read on the beach, and zipline) - including nothing but relax and enjoy their paradise by the pool. We always seemed to make our way back to enjoy the sunset each night - definitely a highlight! I would highly recommend all of the activities Roger offers, his connections are top-notch and some of our favorites from our 3 week Costa Rica trip!

We're already planning a trip back next summer to bring more friends who all want to come see what we've been talking about!

Room Tip: #2 was great - location was private and was the only villa we think that had both an indoor and an o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My nine year old son and I stayed at Vista de Olas for four days late in July and enjoyed every moment there. After running away from a fleabag hotel in Santa Theresa, I saw the sign for Vista de Olas in Mal Pais, drove up the steep, rocky hill, wandered to the restaurant/pool area where some guests were relaxing and instantly knew this was the place! Roger and his wife Heidi are awesome hosts - when Roger says "No Worries" he means it. Forget about it all, this is one relaxing place. The views of the Pacific from the pool are gorgeous, the grounds immaculate, and the bungalows are clean, comfortable, and well designed. From the skeleton key locks to the outdoor showers tiled in a tropical ocean sunset, the particulars of each detached bungalow come together beautifully. The bungalows are an attractive and comfortable respite after a day of surfing, hiking, or fishing. Or, you can just hang out at the awesome infinity pool overlooking the mountainside and the Pacific. Roger's staff are all extremely friendly. Breakfast is great and relaxed, and the bar is open all day. I like the dinners there, you pick your meat (fish, steak, or chicken in various cuts) and grill it yourself on a big grill while the staff gives you a huge plate of salad and vegetables. I didn't think I'd like that, but I did! Also, I didn't think I would care for the intimacy of the place, but I did! Chatting with the others there was fun and we all gave each other tips on what we liked about the days' adventures. Anyway, if you go to Mal Pais or Santa Theresa, you can't go wrong with Vista de Olas, it's worth twice the amount Roger and Heidi charge.

Room Tip: We were in unit 5 I believe. There was one other unit next door, and I think the other 4 were on th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!