“Relaxing and Friendly!” 5 of 5 stars

Vista de Olas Dr. | Mal Pais de Cobano Apto.#93, Mal Pais 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Mal Pais
“Relaxing and Friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We are so glad we booked at Vista and had the chance to get to experience an incredibly relaxing yet adventurous trip to Mal Pais! Roger and Heidi were amazing and we loved the low-key vibe and awesome hospitality they offered us. We enjoyed Villa #2 in mid July and I'd go back in a heart beat. The weather was great, I loved the rain storms, breakfast was amazing each morning and we always had plenty of options of stuff to do (ATV tour, horseback riding, surfing, read on the beach, and zipline) - including nothing but relax and enjoy their paradise by the pool. We always seemed to make our way back to enjoy the sunset each night - definitely a highlight! I would highly recommend all of the activities Roger offers, his connections are top-notch and some of our favorites from our 3 week Costa Rica trip!

We're already planning a trip back next summer to bring more friends who all want to come see what we've been talking about!

Room Tip: #2 was great - location was private and was the only villa we think that had both an indoor and an o...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Hilton Head Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My nine year old son and I stayed at Vista de Olas for four days late in July and enjoyed every moment there. After running away from a fleabag hotel in Santa Theresa, I saw the sign for Vista de Olas in Mal Pais, drove up the steep, rocky hill, wandered to the restaurant/pool area where some guests were relaxing and instantly knew this was the place! Roger and his wife Heidi are awesome hosts - when Roger says "No Worries" he means it. Forget about it all, this is one relaxing place. The views of the Pacific from the pool are gorgeous, the grounds immaculate, and the bungalows are clean, comfortable, and well designed. From the skeleton key locks to the outdoor showers tiled in a tropical ocean sunset, the particulars of each detached bungalow come together beautifully. The bungalows are an attractive and comfortable respite after a day of surfing, hiking, or fishing. Or, you can just hang out at the awesome infinity pool overlooking the mountainside and the Pacific. Roger's staff are all extremely friendly. Breakfast is great and relaxed, and the bar is open all day. I like the dinners there, you pick your meat (fish, steak, or chicken in various cuts) and grill it yourself on a big grill while the staff gives you a huge plate of salad and vegetables. I didn't think I'd like that, but I did! Also, I didn't think I would care for the intimacy of the place, but I did! Chatting with the others there was fun and we all gave each other tips on what we liked about the days' adventures. Anyway, if you go to Mal Pais or Santa Theresa, you can't go wrong with Vista de Olas, it's worth twice the amount Roger and Heidi charge.

Room Tip: We were in unit 5 I believe. There was one other unit next door, and I think the other 4 were on th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have never had a more beautiful view from a hotel. The restaurant/reception/pool overlooks the ocean, and ever since coming back home, I find myself wanting to be relaxing by the pool again with the sound of the ocean below. The sunsets are stunning. The owners, Roger and Heidi, are always around and are great to talk to, as well as their two sons. Roger will book activities for you, but above all, recommends relaxing, which we're glad we took the advice of! We stayed in villa #4, and it shares a patio with villa #5, but we never saw anyone from the other villa. The outdoor showers are fun, the rooms are big enough and have AC. The BBQ dinners at the restaurant are delicious. You need to go to town for other kinds of food, though. The included breakfast was tasty. We did the ATV tour to Montezuma waterfalls, and it was one of my favorite tours we did in Costa Rica. You drive along the coast much of the way, and you can cliff jump into the pools at the bottom of the falls. The beach is about a 15 minute walk down the hill, and we looked at the tide pools there, but the better beaches for swimming are further north (we loved Playa Santa Teresa). A 4x4 vehicle would be useful, but we didn't have one and got along fine catching rides to town and the beach with other people staying at the hotel or walking. Vista de Olas is very much worth the gorgeous view and relaxing atmosphere!

Room Tip: I think all of the villas probably have a good view of the ocean. We were in villa #4, which is belo...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Vista de Olas was one of the most unique and amazing places I have ever stayed! I booked a stay for myself and a friend through Living Social and Roger and Heidi and their two sons were always available, both through email before the trip, and during the trip to make sure we had the best vacation possible. My friend and I took advantage of the numerous opportunities they have for activities at Vista de Olas and went on an ATV tour guided by Roger's son (he was great!) to the waterfalls in Montezuma, a canopy tour via zipline (sooo much fun!) and a surf lesson (harder than expected, but still awesome). We also spent our fair share of time at the many beaches in the area and the amazing infinity pool at the resort. We ate dinner at the resort two different nights and the food was wonderful. The drinks at the bar were always good as well (try the guaro sour!) and the bartenders were friendly and extremely helpful with any questions we had about Costa Rican culture, restaurants, and activities. The view from our villa (#2) was breathtaking and the room was roomy and pleasant. It was also nice to interact with the other guests, as this is such a small and intimate resort. I am already planning my next trip here! I highly recommend Vista de Olas for anyone looking for a great travel experience that is not your ordinary hotel--you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Our villa (#2) had both an indoor and an outdoor shower, which was nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We actually booked this trip through Living Social for our honeymoon as are newlyweds. We were beyond pleased with all it!! The view of the "infinity pool" in Hotel Vista de Olas overlooks the mountains and ocean, It is absolutely breathtaking. It is listed as one of the 9 things to do in Costa Rica. The staff and owners along with their two teenage sons were very hospitable and fun!!. The daily breakfast kept me filled all day long!! Vista Las Olas consists of only 5 bungalows all separate from each other! At times I felt as if the whole staff was only for us. It was amazing. The package deal includes different things to do. We chose ziplining and the 4 wheel drive to the waterfalls. It was a blast to jump off!! I have already told my whole family about this and they are now eager to have the experience as well. So relaxing while at the same time filled with fun things to do:)) Must have the ceviches around town!! And for you non-speaking in the spanish language....no problem. Roger, the owner, is an American who now resides in beautiful Costa Rica!!

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We enjoyed the hospitality of the staff and the magnificent view of the ocean from the pool/cabana area. The breakfasts were delicious and gave us a good start for each day. The dinner portions were more than adequate. We took advantage of the activities offered with our package and we weren't disappointed. We walked the beaches; rented an ATV to ride north to the Arios area. We had the time of our lives. Our room was large with fan and A/C. We didn't feel in danger at any time, but we also observed caution with out belongings and behavior. One down side with the wet weather was that the room didn't include sufficient number of wall hooks or racks to hang clothes on to dry. We used a small rope. Geckos are noisy at night. We highly recommend the place.

Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have nothing but god things to say about our experience at Vista de Olas. Roger and Heidi made this place feel like you were visiting your cool aunt and uncle to have a bash. This is definitely a couples hotel if you are interested in mingling with the other guests as its small intimate setting lends itself to socialize and not only take in the spectacular scenery but enjoy the company of fellow guests.

The accommodations themselves were well appointed with a comfortable bed. The location is off a steep dirt road but if you came to malpais then hopefully you were already prepared for all of the dirt roads everywhere. The view from the infinity pool cant be beat. Our stay at the end of June was the highlight of our Costa Rica two week vacation. Roger and Heidi were a pleasure to speak to. They have figured something out that the rest of us dream of and have made their own slice of home in paradise. I look forward to someday coming back and visiting this terrific establishment.

Room Tip: We slept in cabin one. Its close to the parking area and far enough away from the pool that you can...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!