We were on the fence about staying here, especially after reading some of the negative reviews, but decided to go for it as it has always been my boyfriend's dream to surf Malpais. We were pleasantly surprised! The hotel was really nice, friendly owners, comfortable rooms - the African theme seemed a little cheesy when in Costa Rica, but it was totally fine. Beds were incredibly comfortable, AC was so necessary considering the oppressive heat, and the restaurant... SO DELICIOUS!
We live in SF, and have pretty high expectations for good food, and this place is one of the best dinners either one of us has had in years! I had the fillet, and my boyfriend had this amazing fish (similar to sea bass) in a coconut broth. For 2 cocktails each, an appetizer, two entrees, dessert, and tip, dinner was less than $100 - a bargain in my book!
The few negative comments I have (and they are extremely nit picky) are:
1. Thin walls... we did not need to hear the couple next door arguing
2. Not very lush - I get that we were in Costa Rica in the dry season, but the plantings were more like twigs than lush rain-forest... they should increase their spend on water to keep the gardens green - that or take out the dead twigs as the "garden view" left something to be desired
3. The website boasted private porches / patios for each room - this was not the case. our room shared a front porch with the room next door and it had two chairs out front to sit in - not exactly "private" when its in front of your door.
4. The hotel let the handymen in our room to fix the fan (which we had not requested) They promised us that this would take no more than an hour, yet it lasted nearly 6 hours. When we came back from the beach, they had left the door open, and were lounging down below with a few beers. (we were pretty upset over that considering my bf had his expensive camera and lenses laying out. We wanted to shower, and clean up, but had to wait an additional 2 hours for them to finish. The kicker was that in the process of fixing the fan, they broke the light!).
Make no mistake, the negative things were minor, and no harm came from anything - just wanted to be sure the review was thorough. The rooms are nice, and the food there is great and reasonably priced. We would certainly come back again, and definitely recommend it to friends!
- Also Known As:
- Moana Hotel
- Moana Hotel Mal Pais
- Hotel Moana Costa Rica/Mal Pais
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Moana is a small luxurious ocean view hotel nestled amongst a rich backdrop of wildlife and jungle. Inspired by Africa for its choice of décor, the beautiful rooms offer tranquility and comfort to all of our guests. Enjoy being served breakfast while you gaze out over the Pacific Ocean. Later hang out at the wonderful pool area and fall asleep on a suspended day bed while the waves crash in the background, paradise awaits! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Moana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.