“A perfect honeymoon hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Chameleon
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Punta Barrigona, Mal Pais, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Mal Pais
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“A perfect honeymoon hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Casa Chameleon for the last two nights of our honeymoon. This was the best hotel either of us has ever stayed in. Absolutely gorgeous, secluded, and romantic. Our favorite part of our stay (other than the amazing private infinity pool) was the food and drinks; I cannot say enough good things about the food. Fresh, local, unique, absolutely delicious...Chef Robb is AMAZING. He also had excellent surfing recommendations. Juan, the hotel manager, was also extremely helpful and accommodating.

The employees at Casa Chameleon almost feel like close friends; they truly want you to have an amazing time, and they go above and beyond the usual customer service. As an example...we hit a bit of bad luck while in Malpais, and my purse was snatched while I was sunbathing on the beach. It was a scary time for us, but the Casa staff was incredibly helpful; Juan helped me contact the US embassy and my banks as well as translated my statement to the police. Chef Robb and the bartender (wish I could remember his name) insisted upon helping to track the thieves to a local store where they had used my credit card and promised to follow up with the store owner the next day. My purse was never recovered, but all of the help by the Casa staff helped to calm us down and allowed us to still enjoy the last night of our vacation. I can't thank them enough.

Considering the price of similar boutique hotels in other vacation locales, Casa Chameleon is a great deal. We have plans to return for a longer stay on our 5th anniversary!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Casa Chameleon is an amazing place. The rooms were large, private, comfortable and clean. The staff welcoming and friendly. The view is incredible. Altogether probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. I would definitely like to go back.

The hotel sits on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It is not a beach front hotel. The beach is probably 1/2 mile away, maybe a little less.

The rooms are large and nicely furnished. Each villa has a private balcony. I never saw another human being from the balcony during our stay, and we spent alot of time on the balcony.

We ate one meal at the hotel. The meal was outstanding, The only ctch was that, for us, it was too much to eat night after night.

If you stay here, you will want some form of transportation. The beach and some other hotels with restaurants are within walking distance, but that requires walking up the hill to the hotel. Santa Teresa, the nearest town with shops, ATM, and a variety of restaurants, is 2-3 miles away.

I have nothing bad to say about Casa Chameleon. Our stay was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Hello from Casa Chameleon!
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers! We are glad you think of our little hotel as an amazing place, we like to think so too and work hard to make it so!! All of our villas are designed for total romance and are located and built so that you can enjoy the spectacular views from the balconies, without sacrificing your privacy... it makes it easier for our guests to kick back and relax! We're glad you enjoyed it :)

Pura vida!!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

If you are going to Costa Rica, you need to stay here. We spent 5 nights in Villa Palma and could not have been happier with the views, the food, the service, and the relaxation we experienced. We felt like we were friends with the staff by the time we left and loved eating beautiful meals in our villa looking out over the jungle, then taking a dip in our private plunge pool. The main pool is great too -- we floated in the chairs laughing and reading with another couple for the good part of a day.

We booked the romance package which included a couples massage, an excursion, car rental, airport transfer + flight from Tambor, as well as two meals a day. This turned out to be a perfect decision -- once we arrived, we didn't have to think about anything!

We were a little worried about being here during the rainy or "green season" but it turns out it just made everything green and lush. We had one night of rain on our last day -- a gorgeous storm that lit up the sky and made dining under the stars extra romantic.

I have no complaints, and I bet you won't either. Just book it!

Room Tip: We really liked Villa Palma -- it gets a good amount of sun in the afternoon and has a lovely view o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hola!! Thanks for the awesome review, and for uploading the great picture!!! We just love to hear from our guests and get your feedback. The rainy season makes for unbelievable landscape throughout the area, it really make the jungle "come alive" doesn't it?! We're glad that you had a great time during your visit!! We'll be waiting for you here in our little piece of paradise!!
Pura Vida from Casa Chameleon!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Casa Chameleon is an absolutely fantastic resort in beautiful Mal Pais, Costa Rica! My wife and I spent eight nights total in Costa Rica, and the highlight of the trip was Casa Chameleon. We stayed in Villa Estrella and were absolutely blown away by the views, the accommodations, and the hospitality. The staff is very friendly and also quite helpful when it comes to setting up activities in the area (sport fishing, surfing, canopy tours, etc). I would also say the hotel's restaurant/chefs were a serious highlight. One evening, I had the jumbo shrimp with a habanero based sauce that was absolutely killer. FANTASTIC. Also, they made my wife and I fish tacos from the tuna we caught an hour earlier just off the coast of Mal Pais!

Mal Pais itself is a cool little beach town with quite a bit to do. The area offers some of the best surfing on the planet, and the town and beaches are great for bumming around. The canopy tour/zip lines in the area offer excellent thrills as well!

Overall, Casa Chameleon will not disappoint, and we have every intention of going back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi! We are so happy and flattered to hear that Casa Chameleon was the highlight of your trip! Although all of our rooms are romantic, Villa Estrella is our top "honeymoon suite", we are glad it did not disappoint!!! Our entire staff works hard to make sure your stay is as memorable and comfortable as possible, and it means a lot to us to hear your wonderful feedback, thanks!! We hope to see you back again at Casa Chameleon for some pampering and fun under the sun!

Pura Vida!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Casa Chameleon for four nights, and it was the best part of our trip to Costa Rica. Villa Estrella is unbelievable with stunning ocean views, French doors that open to a private pool/large deck area, and even an outdoor shower. Everything in the villa is top quality, and although there are many fun activities in Mal Pais to partake in, we found it hard to leave our villa!

The food at the hotel is amazing, and my husband and I both agreed that the shrimp dinner is one of the best meals we’ve ever eaten. The staff at the hotel is also very friendly, and they helped us with everything from arranging spa services to drawing detailed maps of the peninsula for us. We felt so well taken care of!

I could go on and on, but in short, the experience was perfect - from the moment we set foot at the hotel to the moment we (reluctantly) departed. We can’t recommend Casa Chameleon enough!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hola!! We are happy to have been the highlight of your trip to Costa Rica!! Our staff works hard to pamper our guests and make sure that your stay with us is as comfortable and as memorable as possible! Your kind words mean a lot to us, especially to the staff, I will be sure to pass them on. We hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

If you go to Casa Chameleon you will be spoiled in every way making all other vacations pale in comparison. We stayed at Villa Palma a 600 square foot place. It was plenty big enough and felt very private. The views were amazing. It has to be the only time I have ever felt that the pictures, as beautiful as they are, don't do the place justice. When you step into the resort there is such a feeling of peace and paradise. We upgraded our place to the Villa Estrella the last 2 nights and it was even more amazing. 1200 square feet with beautiful views and a sense of privacy, a big pool, and big deck. The food is amazing. Everyone here praises Chef Rob and misses him the most, and it is all true. The food is so fresh and he will make it any way you want it. There is such an attention to detail that it looks like they just built the place. Every room has large doors that open to the jungle and the ocean. Every single person is so friendly and so helpful there isn't one thing you won't miss when its time to leave. It is pricey but you may never experience this type of vacation anywhere else and if you think you can, I bet you will have to pay a whole lot more. I am going to save my money and come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi! We are glad that loved Casa Chameleon and that you got to experience two of our villas. Thanks for the great review! I will send your compliments to Chef Rob!! Our entire kitchen staff works hard to please our customers using the freshest available ingredients, so we are glad they did not disappoint. We hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon in the future!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This is what I imagine a famous person feels like when going to a hotel. They offer personalized service, it's feelt as if every drink and every morsel of food was prepared especially for me. The menu changes daily and the food is prepared with love.

Our room was gorgeous! With our own pool. Loved everything about it.

This place is not cheap though - at all - be prepared to spend some dough and have a fabulous time!

• Stayed April 2013
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hola! We are glad you felt like a rock star while staying at Casa Chameleon!! Our goal is to make every guest feel special, and it sounds like we succeeded! We hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon, we will be ready and waiting to pamper you!
Pura vida!

Been to Casa Chameleon? Share your experiences!