“Paradise at your feet!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Mal Pais
San jose
“Paradise at your feet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

It was an unforgettable experience! We had the pleasure of staying at Villa Estrellla and it was perfect! We were surrounded by nature, had a spectacular ocean view and the private pool was very romantic . The staff was veryfriendly, they went out of their way to help us in whatever we needed. We can't wait togo again soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hi Carolina! Thanks for letting us, and other travelers know about your great experience at Casa Chameleon! We hope to see you guys back around in the near future!!
Pura vida!

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Holyoke, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Everything was amazing. Dont hesitate, just book it! Staff was great, we miss Oscar! It was a perfect place for a honeymoon. We stayed in the Ultra Villa, lots of steps to get to the dining area but it was worth it. Monkeys outside our room a couple of times, great view of the ocean, decor was very nice. The matress was heavenly. Food was way better then expected. It was almost too nice :)

Hi Jennifer!
We are glad you enjoyed your honeymoon at Casa Chameleon!! Thanks for the lovely review :) We hope to see you and your husband back sometime in the future!
Pura vida!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. The two best things that stand out in my mind were the food/chef and the beatutiful grounds/villas. Everything was so perfect its hard to put it all into words. The villas and their views were absolutely breath taking. We stayed in 2 villas; Ultra and Pichote. I cant even say which was better because both were BEYOND amazing! Every morning waking up felt like a dream. I found myself looking forward to every meal served. The food was so fresh. We chose the catch of the day everyday! After leaving Casa Chameleon I did feel a little depressed...it was THAT amazing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Stephanie! Thanks for the great review! We're so happy that you enjoyed your time at Casa Chameleon, and that we could help make your honeymoon a trip to remember!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I spent the final 5 days of our Honeymoon at Casa Chameleon, and it was wonderful. The staff was friendly and sweet, our room (Villa Estrella) was a dream, with such a comfortable and romantic setting, and weeks later, we are still mourning that Chef Rob isn't around to make our food. Honestly, that food was superb.
This was the priciest hotel we stayed at on our honeymoon, and we couldn't imagine a better experience, feeling like it was worth every penny (and for the food especially, worth MORE than we paid!). We would love to return, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: The privacy and the infinity pool were well worth it. Though the room is quite a hike from the resta...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Jonathan
We are glad that you got spend the last leg of your honeymoon at Casa Chameleon, and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the great review!! We will be eagerly awaiting your return, ready to pamper you and your wife!
Pura Vida
central jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I were absolutely thrilled with EVERYTHING at Casa Chameleon. The location is beautiful, the grounds are well-maintained and though heavily landscaped, are done so in a way that it looks completely natural, which is what we like. The staff is warm, friendly, helpful and very accommodating. Chef Rob, for instance, brought yoga mats to our room when we inquired about them. We didn't even know yet that he was the chef, and would not have expected him to run a housekeeping errand like that, but everyone there is so committed to every guest's pleasure, that this kind of service is the norm. Speaking of the chef, the food was awesome. Anyone who says that eating in Casa Chameleon's dining room is too expensive for what you get, or is not anything special, obviously is cheap or pretentious. While the food is not overly fancy, everything we ate was cooked to perfection, and it is clear that the chef and sous chefs know how to prepare fresh fish and local fruits and vegetables in a way that captures their naturally wonderful flavors. The villas themselves are GORGEOUS. PERIOD. You feel like you are in your own private island; it's quiet and picturesque, yet also very chic, with so much attention paid to the detail of not only the villa decor, but the entire hotel grounds. My husband and I plan to return next year at the same time, prior to the Christmas holidays. For what you are getting at this place -- setting, accommodations, food/drink, personal service -- it is certainly a bargain. Anything remotely comparable to the amenities and service stateside would be probably at least quadruple the cost. Bravo Casa Chameleon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for the wonderful review!! We are glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us! At Casa Chameleon we strive to pamper our guest in order to make your stay special, romantic and relaxing. Our chef's work to bring the natural flavors of area to your table by using the freshest available ingredients, which ensures that you get a little taste of Costa Rica at its best; We are happy that you enjoyed it, and that you are planning to return to Casa Chameleon! We'll be waiting for you!!
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My partner and I stayed for a week at Casa Chameleon (CC) in early November 2012. After a lot of searching in the area, we selected CC and Villa Pochote and it was well worth the extra expense - the infinity pool was so nice to come home to after a day of exploring on our ATV's. We had certain pre-travel concerns about being a gay couple and staying in such a private boutique resort but we were treated like any of the other couples (met some nice couples from Texas...) which was reassuring and left us with no hesitations to recommend this place to our friends or any couple considering it.

Vicky (who is in San Jose) was amazing to deal with and endured several phone calls from me in the weeks leading up to our trip (having to repeat things a few times for me...). She is certainly a solid asset when representing the place and experience to be had. Our package included the breakfast option which i would highly recommend - not only because it's freshly prepared and good, but also because it's a great way to start the day as the views from the dining area are beautiful. We opted out of the dinner package because of the previous reviews ($$$) and because we like to explore some of the local dining options - which may not look great from the outside but are excellent. I would recommend Mary's which boasts a farm to table dining experience. The sushi place at the end of Santa Teresa, while nice, was very expensive and not certain it was entirely worth it (although we're in NYC so spoiled by sushi options here)

We rented ATV's as it's much easier to get around and travel to the other side of the Peninsula or up the coast. I forget the name of the local rental place that CC hooked us up with but the guy was really nice. We had a few mechanical issues ([--] happens) over the few days (once in the middle of nowhere...) and each time he was very friendly and apologetic - he eventually credited us a full bike rental for our inconvenience.

Mal Pais is very beautiful and somewhat "untouched" which was exactly what we were looking for - we were somewhat surprised by the prices of dinners and groceries as they seemed to be almost at par with USA prices which was not what I expected. That said, we would not hesitate to return.

The only "unpleasant" experience (which we brushed off because everything had been so nice) was when we had to wait for drinks in the lounge a couple nights in a row. After over 30 minutes, I went to the dining room and asked Ronald if we could get drinks (the previous nights Oscar saw when we arrived via camera and was very attentive). Ronald said he was busy and mumbled some vague answer but we were still kept waiting (the dining room was empty...). After a 2nd repeat the following night we were tempted to go behind the bar and make out own but he eventually made us drinks. We decided to make our own drinks in our villa the following nights to avoid the awkwardness of having to ask - which was unfortunate because we enjoyed the setting and view from the lounge and was the only place to also enjoy the limited wifi.

Regardless, one experience doesn't overshadow the fact that my partner and I had a wonderful time and felt well cared for by all the staff at CC. There is a lot of effort (I'm sure much of it is behind the scenes) that went in to making our stay exactly what they claim it should be...private, romantic, adventurous and fun. We would come back tomorrow if it were possible...

Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Casa Chameleon, and that you will recommend us to your friends! Our goal is to make our guests feel papered and special, and we are glad to have succeeded with you and your partner. I will send Vicky your regards and kind words. Our apologies for the delay with your drinks! We will look into the situation to make sure this does not happen again. We're glad this did not take away from your wonderful experience and we hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The best employees at Casa Chameleon (CC) are probably the lower paid employees on staff. We had two gentlemen who prepared our drinks and poolside snacks during our stay at CC. Oscar and (I forget the second gentlemen's name (maybe Ramone)- but he was definitely top notch guy. He was incredibly hard working, dedicated, a great cook, and better host.). These gentlemen, are the best asset of CC. I cant say good enough words about them.

Also, the staff at CC made it very easy to do activities in the Mal Pais area. Just say what you want and tada, it is done for you. The rooms were wonderful and the views great. The pool was very relaxing.

We talked with other guests there and I believe they were staying in Villa Sol. My impression is, it wasn't perfect. For a few bucks more, Villa Palma and Vista are great. Perhaps management should consider lowering the price on Villa Sol, because from what I can tell from reviews and talking to the other guests Sol and Villas Vista/Palma aren't as close in greatness as CC prices suggest.

When we checked out, there were approximately $75 in overcharges of poolside drinks and snack items to our account. I'm sure most guests don't keep as careful track of what we purchased while there. I hope it was truly a mistake on the charges. But even if so, the sloppy bookkeeping; or worse, dishonesty and intentional overcharges, left somewhat of a bad last taste as we departed. I've read other reviews suggesting similar problems. To the management, this is something that should be addressed. Your hotel goes to such great lengths for guests to have a great stay. The slighetest dishonesty, or appearance of impropriety, will derail all your work in an instance. Always maintain your credibility and be honest and starighforward with your guests. With this said, as soon as we told the manager what we didn't purchases, the bill was corrected.

The food was very good. We had dinner one night and the ambiance and food were very good. Was it worth appx, $150? I think that is hard for any restaurant to do. On other evenings we had great meals at other places in Mal Pais for $40. If budget is a concern, I'd skip the dinner. Breakfast was very pleasant and worth the price. Again, prepared by the assistant cooks (Ramone), who do a great job.

I would stay at Villa Vista/Palma again. Mal Pais is a very neat town and I recommend it to anyone considering a trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2012
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest:
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay at Casa Chameleon! Thank you for the great feedback, your suggestions are very valuable to us, as we strive to provide the best experience possible for our guests. I am certain that the issue with the bill was an honest mistake, we have recently made certain changes in our administrative staff and this must have been during their learning curb. Nevertheless that does not justify the error, and I apologize on behalf of Casa Chameleon for any inconvenience this caused you. I am happy that our staff resolved the issue promptly. Thank you again for pointing it out to us, we'll be sure supervise this closely to make sure that it does not happen again. I will pass on your compliments to Oscar and Ronald, it will mean a lot to them and we thank you for recognizing their efforts. We hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon soon!
Pura Vida!

Been to Casa Chameleon? Share your experiences!