“Awesome Civiche!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Mal Pais
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: It may be a newer establishment, but one of the best Tica places in Mal Pais, maybe even Costa Rica.
Atlanta
“Awesome Civiche!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

You have to look for this one. Leaving Santa Teresa, go about 1km or so and look on your right for the small sign and entrance. Park in their small lot and walk toward the ocean. There you will find many hand carved tables with great views from all of the ocean.
Nothing, but really good food served in the Tipico style with an emphasis on fresh seafood. We had one dinner that was given a thumbs up by everyone... all seafood. We then stopped by one afternoon for a light lunch and ordered Civiche... it was awesome and very fresh! I recommend that you ask what they are using in the Civiche... they will only use the freshest fish. One day we had Tuna (we loved it) the other day we had swordfish (good, but not tuna).
The folks waiting on you are the owners and they are very friendly people with a focused desire to make sure you enjoy your meal.
Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Visited August 2012

Fort Collins, Colorado
“Best sunset in MP and amazingly delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We absolutely LOVED this restaurant! We were staying at La Hacienda (highly recommend that place too) just down the road about five minutes and on the other side of it, so this was a very convenient walk. It really was the restaurant that was closest to our hotel. Jose was our server/bartendar/everything! He was really friendly and nice. I believe it is his family that owns this location.

It is absolutely stunning there. You walk into the entrance off the dirt road where the sign is and there is a path that leads you past the pool and near the bar. The bar is a small covered palapa type of bar. Then there are a variety of tables strewn about the yard that faces the ocean. The views are so breathtaking that it is amazingly relaxing to be there! I think it’s great to eat there any time of day, but my favorite was at dinner. The sunsets are unbelievable!
I feel that the food is reasonably priced for what you get and is very tasty! We ate dinner there three times and breakfast once on our trip. The funny thing was that my husband and I got the same dish all three dinners, because it was so good the first time we were scared to change it up to something else! I’m not sure of the actual name, but it was a fish plate – corvina with a shrimp queso sauce that was to die for! It came with a large amount of rice and a salad. The last night we decided to get some ceviche too. It was delicious and came with some fried plantains to eat it with. My daughter also got the same meal every time – shrimp and rice with french fries. She always liked hers as well. They also had decent batidos. We all had them for breakfast one morning.

There is nothing like ending your day watching the sunset while drinking some Imperials here! Jose was so very nice and acommodating. He told us several times that we were free to use the pool while we were waiting for our food. I think my 8 year old daughter may have jumped in there once, but mostly she played down by the ocean. They also have a tire swing and some hammocks strung up. There are several dogs running around by the beach. Some belong to the people of Caracolas and some are ‘beach dogs’ . If you are not a dog fan, you might not like it. We are dog lovers and found all of the dogs to be quite friendly.

You must go here for the food, the friendly service and the amazing , relaxing view! We met some people at our hotel that had spent the day at Caracolas – playing at the beach and drinking beers. It seems like the perfect place to do that! I insisted that we go there for our last night in Mal Pais and to be there in time for the sunset. My husband and daughter agreed. This place is so wonderful!!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Concord, NH
“Wow, fantastic location and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I don't know how he does it. A one man operation, cooking and cleaning and waiting on the tables. Easily one of the best Ceviche's I've ever been served.

Visited May 2012
Middletown, Connecticut
“Lunch with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Need I say more? This guy works his tail off to get you your food as efficiently as possible....food is inexpensive and wonderful!!

Visited April 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Great Ceviche & View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

A fellow traveller from our hotel recommended that we check this place out and we're glad we did! The food was great - especially the ceviche! The stunning wood tables (I want one for my house!) are spread out over the lawn and down toward the beach. You can enjoy your lunch with an ice cold Imperial beer while watching the waves roll in. It doesn't get much better than that!

• Visited March 2012