“A SPECIAL PLACE!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A SPECIAL PLACE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

Mal Pais is my favorite vacation spot. I have been there 5 times now. The last 4 times I have stayed at PachaMama .

Franz is a great host. He is multi-lingual and can help you with planning your hotel and transfers from San Jose if needed, and your activities while in Mal Pais.

The Lodge is a unique place to stay. Most likely you will have a neighbor if you stay in the bungalows. I have met a lot of nice people this way while lounging in the hammocks on the covered patio. I mimicked the patio at my home in Pittsburgh so that I can pretend I am at PachaMama all summer long.

Also on the property is very nice house if you are traveling with a small group and a huge tipi if you like a camping atmosphere.

Franz has an artsy flair with the décor and painting in his accommodations and they blend very well with the surrounding nature. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained by the resident gardener, Hermancio. Make sure you climb the stairs behind the tipi area to get a great view of the shoreline and watch the sunset.

The food in the area has drastically improved over the last 5 years. There are many great restaurants in any price range.

It is a good idea to have some sort of transportation so that you can explore the area. We rent a quad off of Franz and travel all over with it. There is also a car rental in town.

I can’t wait to return next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Last year, I planned out an extended vacation, and wanted to make sure I had the right place. I was set on Costa Rica, and after much investigation, I narrowed it down to the right spot. Sure enough, after a total of six months at Pachamama, I can safely say that Franz has the best place to be in Mal Pais. I scored fantastic surf with great variety everyday and made some great friends. A definite recommendation for an all around great experience of everything Costa Rica at a great value.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Upon arriving to Pachamama's we were in toal "awe" with the tropical serenity and peacfullness. The town offers Costa Rican culture at its best, we settled into our bathingsuits and surfboards with ease and felt blessed to be there.

Behind the walls of Pachamma's you feel at home and at peace with the hospitality and tropical surroundings. Everyone there was so friendly and happy. The differences is languages didn't matter, we had folks speaking Italian, German, French, English and of course Spanish the native language and all enjoying each others company and appreciating each others culture and differences. We had an amazing cultural experience right behind the walls of Pachamam's. Its a world of its own.There is a house to rent, bungalows or a teepee something for everybody.

The surf and adventures are incredible. Fishing village and national park 1 mile away, beach across the street and town less than 1 mile. We rented a 4 wheel quad right at Pachamama's and ventured over to Montezume to enjoy the waterfalls, shopping and restaurants. We also went horse back riding through the jungles and onto the beach. What can I say We love Pachamama's and Mal-Pais. Its the place to go to experience the Costa Rican Culture and feel the serenity of the tropical life. We are ":hooked"

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I was doing some work online so I needed a secure and relaxed place where I could get online wirelessly and not worry about leaving my gear when I went out. I knew Pachamama was the place because I'd been there before and loved it. It's beautiful, it's away from the hustle of "town" and the owner Franz is a pura vida bro who you can get a ride with to the surf every morning to start the day right:) This place is for people with good energy and an appreciation for nature and life. The name says it all.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Amazing place to be, very comfortable, and safe feels alot like home when your there. Property beautifully landscaped, lots of fruit trees and some hot little peppers for the pickin. A bit far from town but thats how i like it, beach is right across the street. I stay a month every year and im going back again. Better than home!!! vince

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I've stayed here twice now and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. Pachamama has 2 bungalows, and I stayed in one of them on my first visit with my wife. The bungalows were constructed by Franz, the owner from Austria, who has great taste... and the bungalows are very efficient and comfortable using local and eco friendly building materials.

This time I stayed in the custom 2 bedroom/1 bath house which was an excellent value, sleeps 4 comfortably, more private, with a great outdoor space for entertaining. Again, a cool layout, the master is upstairs, all wooden floor, staircase, ceiling, with a balcony. The house has access to WIFI but the signal can get weak depending on where you are in the house... the balcony upstairs and outdoor covered "cookout" area which is a cool place to check email and make Skype calls on your iphone if necessary. But trust me, after 1 day staying here you're not really going to want to check email or make calls.

Secret Spot - You can walk/hike up the steep hill in the back of the property. This ocean view is the best I've seen, and great place to watch the sunset with a cold beer or wine.

The best part about this property is the tropical garden with amazing flowers, fruit trees, which is really a nice ambiance to find your inner peace.

The owner, Franz, is always available to answer your questions before and during your stay. I'd recommend booking early, a few months in advance because it can fill up.

To get here: I recommend flying on Sansa ( http://www.flysansa.com/ ) which you can book a RT ticket in advance for about $150 USD

You can also rent a car ( puravidarentacar.com/costa_rica_car_rental.h… ) where you can rent a car (get a 4X4) the drive takes about 4-5 hours and consists of a ferry ride.

Things to know: If you fly here you'll need an ATV, bike, or something to get around.

Franz has ATV's and bikes for rent which you can book in advance

Distances:

Supermarket - 5 minutes on an ATV

Bank - 5 minutes away on an ATV

Good food - 5 minutes on an ATV

note: "Brisas del Mar" has great food and an amazing view!

"El Pulpo" amazing pizzas, owed and operated by Argentinos

"Mary's" excellent seafood

"Piedra Mar" great food , comidas tipicas with fresh fish, the owners

catch the fish they serve.

- note - it is not difficult to find great food here.

Things to do (again Franz can help you schedule)

Surfing - lessons and board rental are both available at Pachamama

Fishing - Excellent fishing - the chartered boats leave from minutes down the road. Fishing with a guide/boat is about $40 per hour.

Sport and Fly Fishing - also great, Franz can help you book

Kiting - The wind can be uncertain here, but you could have some luck... If you're looking for a place to kite, ask Franz about a trip to Nicaragua.

You can email Franz directly at pachamamamalpais@yahoo.com

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pachamama Tropical Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!