“beautiful jungle retreat” 5 of 5 stars

1 km from cross route , 50 m from the beach, Mal Pais 5361, Costa Rica   |
New York City, New York
“beautiful jungle retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed in Pachamama at the end of the low season traveling solo when it was fairly quiet in the town - Franz went out of his way to make me welcome and help orient me - a thoughtful and really chilled out host. I loved Mal Pais and Pachamama was the perfect accommodation for me - I stayed in a bungalow - simple, rustic and comfortable - authentic and full of soul - and good value. The jungle garden creates a beautifully harmonious setting - 3 nights weren't enough, Mal Pais is great - I didn't want to leave and plan to return, and if I do, I will head straight to Pachamama... Thanks Franz!

Room Tip: I saw all the room and they were all great!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'll try to keep it short … everything has been written about this place in previous reviews anyway.

My stay in Pachamama was amazing! My friends stayed there a few years ago and highly recommended it. So i went, instantly felt like being home and got stuck there like many before. A few days quickly turned into a few weeks and i'm already planing on going back in winter for a longer stay.

The owner Franz is a great host, he gave me great insider tips and was generally very helpful. The garden is well taken care of by Amancio. There you'll find a lot of plants and animals, right on your doorstep. On a little hill in the rear there's an incredible vista, ideal for watching picture perfect sunsets with the coast in the distance.

I stayed in on of the bungalows, very clean, nice bed and a small kitchen. Everything you need really.

If you're into surfing, there's a nice point break close by, just about 5min by foot. Very good and cheap local food (casado … yammy!) can be found just across the road.

One of the highlights while staying in Malpais was the newest addition to the Pachamama staff: Treetree! What a champ, you can't have a better, cuter neighbor than him. Check out the picture below and you'll know what i'm talking about.

If you're looking for a cozy, laid-back place to spent a few days (or weeks / months), make sure to put Franz's place on top of your list!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Don't miss an opportunity to stay here!!! Everything is possible at Pachamama – surf, yoga, bonfires on the beach at sunset, bbqs, fishing, hikes, day excursions, horseback riding, quad tours… along with peace, harmony and a taste of PURA VIDA! I lived at here for two months this past year and can’t say enough GREAT things about this place.

Besides the fact that you are living in a tropical paradise, the best thing about Pachamama are the people. The folks there ensured that my time with them exceeded my expectations. Franz knows all the sweet spots and will go out of his way to make his guests feel “at home”. Amancio takes phenomenal care of the gardens and never missed an opportunity to wish me a good day or to find out how I was doing. Marisol takes pride in her work as a housekeeper and made sure my bungalow was perfect for me every day. And having been there for two months, I met a lot of the guests, and the people who stay at Pachamama were also SUPER COOL and were an important part of my experience --- everyone wanted to make the most of their time in Mal Pais and were always ready for FUN!

When I was looking for accommodations, I wanted to stay somewhere where I could do my photography and cultivate my yoga practice, which meant I needed secure accommodations and a place that appreciated some solitude. Pachamama met both these criteria --- I felt safe at all times and my yoga practice became a daily part of the rhythm of life at Pachamama.

Some would consider the accommodations at Pachamama to be “basic” but there really isn’t a need for more in this climate. I stayed in one of the bungalows, which was equipped with a fridge, stove, bathroom (with a hot water shower), ceiling fan, hammock, outdoor eating area and a great bed. The bungalow was perfect for me – well organized, clean and private.

If you are looking for a laid-back, authentic experience in Mal Pais, get your @ss to Pachamama! It will likely be the best vacation you’ve ever had!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at Pachamama Nov. 16-20. We were in the house which I highly recommend. The house has all natural wood and the doors & windows open up to the outdoors. The upstairs room has big wooden doors that open up to a deck/outdor sitting area. We kept the doors open all night long, and in the morning we all enjoyed the deck, looking out at the jungle, animals while having our coffee. Franz the proprietor usually walked by to see how things were going. The house has a side patio with a built in BBQ. This is where we spent alot of evenings and down time. 2 racoons would come by for a visit. Franz the proprietor is very accommodating and helps in any way. He took our grandson out to cut down coconuts and help us sort out details with connecting with friends and family in Santa Teresa. We were in town for our daughters wedding and the house provided enought room and comfort for us to come back to at the end of the day to relax. We thought this might be our last trip to Costa Rica but after this experience I am sure Franz will be seeing us again. Maybe for our grandsons wedding some year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Pachamama was a fantastic experience for my wife and I while traveling through the Nicoya Peninsula. The bungalow we rented was huge and complete with a safe, full kitchen, hammock, mosquito net, outdoor shower, and shady upstairs deck to escape the sun. The place was full of other bonuses like a beautiful built-in BBQ and private outdoor lounge, too. This was a very fun place to eat dinner and play cards! What's more, unlike many of the places we saw in Mal Pais, the lodge is walled off from the main road providing security and a sense of enclosure for the tropical garden Franz has cultivated throughout the grounds. It's beautiful! Speaking of Franz, he was a very helpful and charming host. He's a busy guy but always managed to be around when we needed him. He's a great resource on pretty much anything happening in the region so don't be afraid to ask him questions. Have fun!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mal Pais, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

after two years of living and visiting all over Costa Rica, i found HOME! The safest, most tranquillo location i have been, Magical Mal Pais... inside Pachamama! Clean, safe, freedom to come and go as you please. The owern from Austria and the people working with him for over 8 years is like along lost cousin. They invite you with smiles and fun to live and be as you please! Thank you for the amazing visit!

Room Tip: there are many options here from tee-pees to clean european style houses.... just tell them what you...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Goodyear, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This place is Amazing, we have traveled all over the world and this is the most friendly, accommodating and at home we have ever felt. Take my advice you won’t have a better time anywhere else. Frankie and Mara were the perfect hosts. It was the perfect getaway from our usually hectic life, surfing in the morning chilling in the hammocks, exploring , eating, drinking (ask Frankie about which is the best rum?) and having fun. There’s monkeys, millions of different birds, raccoons it's brilliant. Best place that I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: book the house there all amazing though
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Pachamama Tropical Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!