“Home sweet home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Hacienda Tropical

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mal Pais
La Hacienda Tropical
200 Meters past ICE Tower | on left, Mal Pais, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Mal Pais B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Home sweet home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

That is the way you feel at the Hacienda Tropical. The owner Marianne welcome you there as if it was her own private house. She will help you to arrange canopy tour, surf lessons, atv rental... anything you need! And you really feel as being part of the family.
Vicente will prepare you a wonderful breakfast with plantatas.

Everyone gets along around the swimming pool: family, honeymoon couple, solo, group of friends, kids... guests are friendly yet respectful of each other privacy.

This is a quiet and peaceful getaway, filled up with Marianne's positive energy. If you cross the road, the beach is 2mn walk (sunset just for yourself, no one around!) and there is a soda cafe offering very good local food (yummy cerviche) for a very reasonnable price.

Marianne has just refurbished and repainted the entrance bungalow, which looks lovely!

Thank you so much for making my stay in COsta Rica such a treat, you'll definitely see me next year

PS I am especially happy to rate the Hacienda as Marianne is one of the few that never asked me to write a review...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were at La Hacienda at our honeymoon.It was amazing,the location is great,close to the ocean,great rooms,Vincente is wonderful,Maryann helped us with the activities and all the restaurants.We enjoyed very much and waiting to go there again...

• Stayed July 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We (myself, husband and 8 year old daughter) had the great pleasure of staying at this boutique hotel June 25-July 2. We absolutely LOVED our time at this tropical paradise home.
If you are someone who is high maintenance, who likes everything to be perfect, with the finest linens, towel animals and staying at the Hilton/Hyatt – look elsewhere! If you like a laid back, comfortable, feel like you’re staying at a good friend’s home type of place – this is IT! In our opinion, La Hacienda was a perfect place for us to stay.

When I was researching where to stay in the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area I looked at a lot of hotels, home rentals, B&B’s, etc. I also e-mailed many people to get information about their places. It’s hard to tell everything about a place, even when they have a website with information and photos, as some of them can be very misleading. Maryann, one of the owners of La Hacienda, was amazingly helpful in my research. She immediately got back to me every time I asked her a question. She was willing to answer any and ALL (I had many) of my questions, unlike other locations who had the attitude of “not being able to be bothered” with my questions. Looking online I thought that the place looked nice, but it was really my e-mail communications with Maryann that made me decide to choose La Hacienda and I was not disappointed.

This is a small hotel (large home really), with 5 rooms and 2 cabinas to rent. It is the perfect size, in my opinion! There is a gorgous pool out front that is surrounded by trees and tropical plants. I remember in my corresponding with Maryann she kept telling me how much our daughter would like the pool. At the time I thought, “Who cares about a pool! We’re by the ocean!” However, she was absolutely right. We did enjoy our days at the ocean exploring, but it was always very nice to come back to La Hacienda and take a dip in the refreshing pool. My daughter pretty much lived in the thing any time we were at La Hacienda. We stayed in the Gogan Suite and it was perfect! It was quite a large room and perfect for all of our stuff! They do have A/C in the room and it works quite well. It is cool that the doors open up onto the pool area also if you want to have it open. We had a private entrance into our room just outside the main door of La Hacienda. That door opens up into a living room open area with couches. The other rooms have their entrances in this area. It also has a spiral wood staircase that leads up to a library loft with hammocks and bean bags. This was one of my daughter’s favorite places to hang out. There is also an upper area from the living room area with more seating, a TV and a picnic table eating area. My daughter would spend her time after her bath before bed watching Spanish soap operas with Vincente, the caretaker of La Hacienda. He is such an awesome guy! He really makes this place. He is one of the friendliest, kindest people ever! He would take care of everything for us from cleaning our room, cooking breakfast (when you order it $5/pp), getting me a pillow for my quad butt (3 of us rode on one and I was on the bar), giving recommendations and just being a friend chit chatting about each day’s adventures. WE LOVE VINCENTE! He is the best!

I think that La Hacienda would be a wonderful location for a large family or group of friends who wanted to all stay in one spot. You could rent out the whole location. It’s perfect for this kind of thing. We did not have a kitchen in our room, but there was one inside the main area and they told us that we could use it to cook if we wanted. We did make breakfast one morning, but mostly just went out. There is a WONDERFUL restaurant (soda) right across the street called Caracolas. It was our favorite place to eat in Mal Pais, not only for the food, but the beautiful location. We ate breakfast there once and dinner THREE times. The sunsets are amazing from the yard overlooking the ocean.

I also think that the location of La Hacienda was perfect for what we were looking for. It’s kind of on the south end of Mal Pais close to the jungle road to Cabuya. In my mind this is perfect, as it was far enough from town to not really get the constant noise of people driving by all the time, but close enough, as it was just a five minute ride down the road. Again, I had researched several places online and when we were finally there and saw them in person, I was so glad that we did not select one of those places.

We did not have a car, but rented a quad from La Hacienda for the week. In my opinion, this is the best mode of transportation for this area. All three of us rode on it. We drove it all up and down the coast. It was great for exploring on our own and going to more secluded beaches. We also made a few trips to Montezuma to the waterfalls and to shop. In addition another day we went to Cabuya and did a snorkel/spearfish tour with Jeffry of Solo Bueno Tours. I highly recommend his tours. Please see my review of this here http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g635754-d2706170-Reviews-Solo_Bueno_Tours_day_tours-Cabuya_Province_of_Puntarenas.html

We also did a zip line tour with the guys at Mal Pais Canopy and highly recommend them. Carlos is a fantastic guide and was so awesome with our 8 year old.

Paul organized a fishing tour for us with a local fisherman. It was a fun excursion. Everyone except for me got skunked. I caught a BIG fish! Paul and Maryann cooked up the fish for us that night and we all had dinner together. It was very delicious.

La Hacienda is located in a spot so that you can do as little or as much as you want. It is a place that you could just go to relax, lay by the pool, walk to the beach or go on many adventures like we did! If you plan on staying anywhere in the southern Nicoya Peninsula – I say RUN to La Hacienda!

Room Tip: LOVE the Gogan Room - very spacious and opens to the pool...but I don't think you can go wrong w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
San Anselmo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Our party of 13 (3 families) descended on MaryAnn and Paul and were instantly part of the family. Friendly, accommodating, helpful and fun to be with all describe our home away from home at La Hacienda. MaryAnn made sure we had everything we needed and organized several adventures for us (horseback riding on the beach was a "must").

The atmosphere was relaxed, the rooms were large, bathrooms were modern and the food was excellent. Steps from a small restaurant across the road (which was right on the beach) and an easy stroll to some of the best surfing we'd ever experienced. All 13 of us agreed it was the best vacation we'd ever had (this is our 6th year traveling together; 3rd time to Central America). I'd go back again and stay with MaryAnn and Paul in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Tell MaryAnn what you want and she'll help you decide which room makes sense for you. They'r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Mal Pais
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in three different Mal Pais B&B/hotels and La Hacienda is by far the friendliest, most homely experience you could ask for.
MaryAnn and Paul are so welcoming and provide each guest with as much or as little attention and assistance as they need with planning their time in Costa Rica.
The house is wonderful, the dogs are brilliantly entertaining, the pool is refreshing and Paul's sashimi is the best tasting fish I have ever eaten.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, NB, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our party of 12 from Canada arrived in two vehicles mid afternoon after a rough and dusty ride from the ferry. We were greeted by 4 dogs and Maryann. After sorting out the rooms for 3 nights, it was into the lagoon like pool. This property is of Mexican style and we took up all but two of the rooms offered. Across the road and a short jaunt finds you on the sandy beach and rock outcrops with tidal pools large enough to swim in. Paul an avid surfer and fisherman took the men in the party deep sea fishing and the filleted catch was brought back and prepared for dinner by Maryann and Paul, most enjoyable. The best way to reach Mal Pais was along the beach as the road is rocky and dusty. One speed bikes can be rented from the resort. The women and youth in the group had an adventure riding in the 'state of the art' jeep. Of course riding on the back of the ATV with Maryann at the wheel was another adventure. Mal Pais is noted for surfers and some of our crew enjoyed giving it a try. Majitos on the beach was a great way to enjoy the sun and surf. The kitchen was available to make breakfast or for $5 could be prepared. Nearby restaurants are available for evening meals. The only negative aspect of our stay was the thought of having to travel back out over the rocky and dusty road albeit a different route gave us spectacular views of the ocean and beaches.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Traverse City, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My wife and I felt like old friends of hosts Maryann and Paul the moment we arrived. We needed some food from town(2k) and Maryann gave us a ride down the dusty road on her ATV. We rented some really cool one speed bikes for a few days to get to the further beaches and just to tool around. Paul mand Maryann also have kayaks, ATVs, surfboards(Paul gives lessons), and boogeyboards besides the bikes for rent at inexpensives rates. The beach is a short walk. Some good restaurants within walking distance , including one with a beautiful view of the ocean./ OMG, the first night we cooked up a great fish dinner that a guest(out w/Paul and a guide) had caught that day. We sat around a great table and got to know evreyone staying there. What a treat!The cabina we stayed in was awesome, as was the "jungle room" out back. We stayed eight nights and loved every minute.

Room Tip: They are all great
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Hacienda Tropical? Share your experiences!