“Mal Pais gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ritmo Tropical

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Ritmo Tropical to your Saves list
Hotel Ritmo Tropical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts. sur del cruce Playa Carmen, Mal Pais., Mal Pais, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mal Pais
New York, NY
“Mal Pais gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at Ritmo as part of the Kelea Surf program the last week of January and was so happy with everything.
This is a very small property but for what you are in the area for, it's perfect. Cabinas are clean and well kept. Restaurant was delicious and the family that run's the hotel are very accommodating.
Just a short walk to Carmen beach for surfing or the main town of Santa Teresa for restaurants, shops, etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is by far the best-valued place in Mal Pais. I had my own apartment with a kitchen (granted it was nothing fancy, but i had a fridge, stove, and toaster), a private bathroom, and a balcony with an amazing view. The place did not have a TV or AC, and that's because I wanted to pay the price for a room without those amenities. The place is very quiet and the pool area and the grounds are well-maintained and clean. Short walk away from the center of town and the beach. I would definitely recommend this place. Make sure you get a bungalow that has AC, as it gets very hot during the day.

I wish the service was a little better though. I stayed at Ritmo Tropical for eight nights, and there was rarely anyone in the front office to answer questions.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
penticton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful, well maintained, clean clean and simple place to stay. Close to the center of the village. Friendly staff and good value in my opinion. Private little bungalows around a pool and one of the better restaurants located here.

Stayed February 2013
Kingston, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Loved it. Nice, clean and comfortable little cabinas surrounding a big pool. Great restaurant with many yummy choices, friendly people and service. Nice big Mojito's I might add!

Our room had a queen bed and bunk bed, a bar fridge and bathroom. More than enough for our little holiday stay with myself, my wife and two 5yr old boys. The pool is great for kids, as it has a decent amount of shallow area, plus a 0.5m deep bench around one side. Kids loved it, and so did we.

The only shortcoming, not specifically attributable to this place, is that it is fronted by gravel road with not much shoulder to it (there is ONLY gravel road in this area), so the walk to the beach is a dusty and need to keep kids in step rounding the corner. A short sidewalk or wider should just to El Cruce would be perfect!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jonathangiorgetti, Propietario at Hotel Ritmo Tropical, responded to this review, February 21, 2015
Thank you very much, hope to have you again as our guests!!
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am confused by the strange review below because I stayed there around the same time (late November, early December) and the grounds were immaculate, the food delicious and the staff very helpful. You are allowed to charge any drinks or food to your room and pay at the end of your stay, which is what we did, and the prices are very reasonable. We ate breakfast here every day before heading out to the beach or reading by the pool, and the food was delicious and fresh. It turned into a leisurely little routine. We could have eaten elsewhere, but the prices at the Bakery were very high and the food just as good (although with variety) at the Ritmo. I am from NYC also, and I generally have pretty high standards when it comes to places to stay. We were staying at another hotel nearby and switched to the Ritmo because it looked so nice.

The hotel manager is very accommodating and he took our reservations himself. He did not have change but we just used the extra on our tab at the restaurant. Another lady works there but she is there less frequently. The hotel manager sits in the restaurant all day and is easy to find.

The best part is the free coffee that is out all day with nice mugs. I borrowed a book from the office and read by the pool with my coffee many days. You could really not find a better place to stay for the price. It's close to the beach, well-kept, good food, great air-conditioned cabina to sleep in. I loved it and can't wait to go back!

We ate dinner here 3 nights as well and we had pizza that was different than but just as good as from NYC. Good drinks as well and it seems like a lot of the local surfers and families like to come here to eat as well. When I asked a couple of friends I made down there where they liked to eat they said Ritmo was their favorite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Room/property overview:
The hotel is situated about 5-minute walk down a dirt road from the beach. The rooms are a good size - our "room" was actually a standalone house, and had a double bed, a single bed, a mini fridge, a big bathroom, and a front porch. The house also had an additional shower outside so that we didn't have to get sand all over the place.
The hotel has a nice pool, although the chairs never seem to have the cushions on them, and finding someone to find the cushions is near impossible (the lounge chairs are wooden & very hard to lay on otherwise).
We went to the restaurant once for breakfast, but there are so many better places nearby that we didn't return. The service was really bad & the food wasn't good. I ordered banana pancakes (which I had been ordering almost every other day for breakfast at the other restaurants nearby), and they served me normal pancakes with cut up bananas on the site. Travesty!!!

Customer Service:
There is only ONE person who deals with reservations. We thought about leaving Mal Pais a few days early to go to another part of Costa Rica, and tried to get in touch with with this woman for 3 days. We spoke to the hotel manager and he said she reports to him, but he has nothing to do with reservations. Every time we went to the office for something - getting pool chair cushions, finding out bus timetables, buying a bottle of soda, trying to sort out reservations, it was a huge ordeal. The office was empty 90% of the time and we had to go around the property trying to find someone who worked there. The bar that was "open" during the day was never staffed, and when there was someone there, they never had change & would just overcharge for whatever drink we were getting. It's not a big deal - they would take 1000 for a drink that was 900 and would say they didn't have 100 Colones change, but it happened repeatedly. It struck me as odd, since if I tried to pay 800 Colones for a 900 drink, they would probably not accept being shortchanged.

Overall, the hotel was worth it for the money we paid - I just wish they were a little more available for their customers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We saw this place on tripadvisor, and then by chance talking to one of our friends they mentioned they had stayed there (and highly recommended it!), so we gave it a shot. Made a reservation online, but when we got there they couldn't find it - no worries, they had rooms available (but maybe just double-check your reservation before you leave; better yet, CALL them to confirm? We just dealt with the hotel through email). The staff was super laid-back and nice, and they give a discount if you pay cash. We didn't have any cash on us but they were like "No problem, just go to the ATM and pay later"... soooo trusting! This was one thing we really liked about Costa Rica - the people are chill and stress-free.

Anyhow, back to the hotel. The place is kept immaculate - everything looks just like in the pictures. The room was small (we had two double beds and a mini-fridge crammed into the room with two surfboards) but has a built in shelving system and board storage rack so that helped keep it organized. Big bathroom. Nice pool. Great AC (it is REALLY hot in Mal Pais!!!) And EXCELLENT restaurant - we got a pizza and some beers and the pizza was really good. They have a bar too if you dont want to drink beer. We noticed that around 8pm the restaurant filled up - it appeared as though both locals and tourists alike were hanging out here. Also, the price we paid for this place was really good (around 30 or 35 dollars US I think?). It's a 2-minute walk from one of the most gorgeous beaches I have ever been on, and the surf is good for both beginners and more advanced riders. Mal Pais/Santa Teresa is VERY small so there is not a whole lot of nightlife or ANYTHING going on really, except relaxation, surfing, and maybe some yoga at some places, so be prepared for that. (I wasn't, so after 3 days I was a little bored, but if that's what you want your vacation to consist of, this place is right up your alley.) There is a grocery store within walking distance and 5-6 restaurants and bars within a 5 minute walk as well. If I ever go back to Mal Pais, I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms open out onto a courtyard with a beautiful pool - probably can't go wrong in any of th...