“JACO--Something for everyone!” 5 of 5 stars

Jaco Costa Rica
“JACO--Something for everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

We love Jaco!!

Jaco is a 2 hour ride from San Jose, and is on the verge of becoming a city.

The beaches are beautiful--while not white sand--you can see that there is a major effor to beautify.

This is a town of young people, lots of surfers. Yes, it is a tad seedy, but in some ways that adds to the "realness" equation.

In Jaco , you don't leave laptop computers in plain sight on your car front sear on side streets--it is true.. you probably will become the victim of a crime of opportunity.

But for great scenery--things to do-- beautiful birds, chicks, great food and fun. Jaco is happening!!

Cary NC
“Visiting The Jaco Costa Rica area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

We visited the Jaco area in late May 08. While we were there tropical storm Arthur formed over Cost Rica, which has never happened before, so we had a few days of solid rain. Other then that we enjoyed the trip.

This time of year the typical weather is 1-2 hours of rain in the afternoon, maybe one day a week with a little more. Rainy season is worst around Sept I believe.
The 2 hour ride from San Jose airport was fine, we had read here various comments about the ride, but it was fine, I have been on worse roads and more perilous roads in West Virginia. They do have many single lane bridges, which is no problem, people just take turns.
In the Jaco area there is much to do. If you are staying at Los Suenos, Louis is very good (in the tour office) the best tip we have is Transancho. These guys are a transportation/tour company in the area that we happened upon, Gustavo Herrera is a great guy. When we met him & and others from the company) we friends in a very short time. They can arrange tours and/or get you where you need to go. We stayed at the Los Suenos resort which used a different transportation company but we like Tansancho and used them.
We heard various things about Jaco, pickpocket town, party town, we were there several times, only during the day. We found the people friendly, police everywhere,(a good thing) as long as you stay aware we felt safe. We struck up conversations with several folks while hanging around, met a lady that had moved there from Paris. The south end of town seemed nicer.

We founds things in the area to be fairly expensive, the exchange rate was about 530 colonge / dollar

Places to visit, various ATV horseback tours, be sure to go on the monkey tour at Damis island, the monkeys come right into your boat. We used Chino (not sure of spelling) but later heard the “The monkey Father” company was the best at getting the monkeys out. All the guys there were great.

Manual Antonio Park is a must visit

There is a nasty under construction bridge on the way to the Manual Antonio park form Jaco.

Don’t forget about the government “airport $72 tax” as you are leaving

Transancho[--] www.transancho.com

They have a saying there, pura vita! It means live life to the fullest, or pure living!

Denver
“Jaco has been overrun by crackheads and Columbian drug dealrs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2007

I visited Jaco on April 19, 2007, for five days. I had been to Jaco on four prior occasions within the past two years and had very much enjoyed my experiences (surfing, fishing, canopy tour, nightlife).

Sadly, the town has now become overrun with dangerous and unpredictable crackheads and violent drug dealers. Theft and robbery are commonplace and the police make no effort to rein in the undesirables. It seems like most of the nice people have been scared out of town. What you are left with is one of the biggest collection of losers I've ever scene. It hard to walk a block or two without being accosted by a crackhead and drug dealer. Each one has some annoying sales pitch or hard luck story.

Prostitution has always been rampant but the girls now seem considerably more nasty than before. Most of them are Columbian and seem to be watched over by psuedo-pimps both because of the dangerous environment and because so many male hangers-on need something to do.

I would stear clear of this town unless your looking for serious trouble.

British Columbia
“My visit to Jaco, C.R.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

I recently returned from Jaco and was very disappointed. The town is filthly, prostitute ridden and unsafe with visitors with young daughters. My friend and I stayed at a Day Star property which was run more like a "house of ill repute" than a "family friendly" resort. It totally ruined my holiday as I observed young prostitutes coming and going at all hours. Total strangers were allowed on the property from the beach and the nearby bar, 'Claritas".

According to a local newspaper, Jaco has gained the reputation of the place to go for sexual predators who want to stalk minors for sex, and to kidnap them for transport to other countries.

We had an incident where a young girl went surfing and disappeared with "a gringo"...Police were called and I tried to comfort the mother, who was hysterical....Fortunately, the daughter was found safe;;however, he was a someone of questionable character who found this young girl alone on the beach and "offered to teach her how to surf"...

Because I have young granddaughters and nieces, I was particularly sensitive to these issues. Claritas seemed to be one of the places where predators could hire these girls as well as the Beetle Bar.

My advice to young couples travelling with children "Beware and be safe". Go some place else in this beautiful country and enjoy the culture and the ticos...but definitely not Jaco!

vero beach, fl
“Love the fresh seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

I've been 2x's--once in Jan & Aug 2006. The fresh seafood is above excellent--many expats live in this oceanside town so you dont feel like only American there--Locals go each nite to Jaco Beach to sit under palms and await the gorgeous Pacific sunsets--everyone is SO FRIENDLY to you--smiling --and greeting you as if they've known you for years--at the end of my 2 weeks I felt like a "native" tico (native costa rican). A local restaurant "HICACO" has all u can eat buffet each Wed --they grill lobster tails and large shrimp while you watch--for $45 USD each you get several fresh seafood options, salads, deserts, and even mixed drinks--with an awesome beachside seat--hearing the waves with native music and great food--completed the fantasy vacation. Costa is the BEST.

Been to Jaco? Share your experiences!