“Cancelled our reservation” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
Tampa, FL
“Cancelled our reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

After a month of researching here and other places my girlfriend and I booked our July/August trip to Costa Rica, 4 days which would be spent in Jaco. This was in April. We have been counting down the days that we would be spending in the Penthouse Suite (G5) while there. However we received a call today (June 14th) that they are refunding our money because they are closing the Bahia Encantada during that time to do "roof repairs". Since we got a good deal during low season I slightly think they may have just rented it for more money. We are now stuck looking for a place in Jaco that will be equal to the stay we were expecting (beachfront, penthouse, pool, price, etc) a month and half from when we will be departing for the vacation. Hopefully we get lucky. Of course they reccomended we look at their other Daystar properties since they own them, but with this experience I think that is nixed. I can't write on the place specifically but cancelling someones reservation they made after you have taken their money is ridiculous.I will definitely be sure to stop by and check while I am there and will write a follow up based on the outcome of whether they were actually doing repairs and whether they refund is fully.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
DaystarRentals, Manager at Daystar Bahia Encantada, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I would like to start off by apologizing for what you had to experience with your room getting cancelled. I can assure you that we didn't rent your unit to someone else at a higher price and that we where doing repairs on the roof. This was really out of our control as it was requested by the Home Owners Association and need to be completed. I really wish we could have put in one of our other 4 projects on the beach. Again we apologize for this and hope that you enjoyed your stay in Jaco Beach and will be back. We are working hard every day to improve and your feedback helps us. Thank you

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is great if your looking for a nice place near the beach. The pros definately outnumber the cons!
Pros: near beach, kitchenette ( large refridgerator to store mix drinks and snacks), nice location however we had a car and drove to the strip to eat, boogie boards are8 bucks a day, nice waves, gorgeous pool, during the day if you want a snack or tasty beverage Claritas has some tasty drinks and descent appetizers

Cons: no bartender but ended up saving money by making our own, the bar next store gets loud on the weekend, no chairs to recline on or rent on the beach ( not a big problem but this would have been nice), and we had to wear a wrist band to enter facility however we did feel super safe here because security approves you and then opens/closes the gate to the hotel.

We would definately go back and take those surfing lessons we never got to do.

• Stayed March 2012
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

The Bahai Encantada is well located (on the beach with 10 min walk to village centre). The property has security and is well maintained. The units are large and holding up very well considering the rental volume.

Jaco (pronounced 'hawko') is a great alternative to Tamarindo. Actually I highly recommend staying away from Tamarindo unles you can limit your stay to a few nights.

Jaco is a village along a sweeping bay with a wide beach and great sunsets. It has several hotels and rental condominiums along the water. Most have nice swimming pools. The village has several good restaurants (best for us was the Wahoo).

If you land at the San Jose International Airport there is now a very good highway to Jaco (about a 90 m,inute drive). If you have a rental car you can make some cool day trips out of Jaco:
1) 60 min south to Quepos and the Mannual Antonius Park
2)15 min north to Herradura (turn east at the intersection for great Zip Lining or turn west to Los Suenos Marina
3) 25 min north to the Crocodile Bridge
4) 2 hour north (30 min north of San Jose) to the La Paz waterfalls and game park (zoo)
5) 45 min north to Punta Arenas (a town who's day has past but also where the ferry goes to the Tambor area

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I have read through the other reviews and the complaints are all true:
Can be noisy if people are partying on the beach.
Might see some unwanted lady visitors at night.
Bugs around the kitchen.
Not many activities for kids.
Pool bar closed during low season.

Guess what.....this is Jaco! I walked up and down the beach and the town several times and this is by far the nicest property on the beach. I was in the Penthouse #L3 and each room has a nice balcony, the main balcony is on the corner overlooking both the beach and the pool, and the rooftop terrace has a nice view of the entire beach. It was a little annoying to see bugs in the kitchen, but if you rinse all your dishes and throw them in the dishwasher you shouldn't have any problems. Having the full kitchen and washer/dryer are a HUGE plus. I saw someone complain that the penthouse didn't have tv's in every room, but we did, so perhaps this was a recent upgrade. There is security at both the front and back entrance at all times and they are very friendly. I prefer a place with a concierge available 24/7 but for the most part the security guards were able to help me when necessary. I had a problem with my thermostat and called the headquarters, someone was in my room fixing the problem within 5 minutes. There were a few families with kids enjoying the beautiful pool area (3 separate pools including a small one for kids), so I'm not sure what more people want for their kids. Yes there are a lot of hookers in Jaco....if you read the reviews, every hotel has mention of them, so if you don't like it, Jaco isn't the place for you...it is not the fault of the hotel. And yes, it's nice to have the pool bar going, but if it's closed, just grab a bottle and a mixer and make your own drinks (plenty of cups in your room and ice makers in the freezer)...you'll probably save a ton of money anyway. Clarita's next door is a convenient food/bar option and I didn't really have any problems walking into town. A couple times I got lazy and paid the $2 to take a cab...no big deal.

Overall this place is great and I will definitely stay there again. $175 a night for the penthouse overlooking the beach is very reasonable. My only (minor) complaint is that if the maid service is going to only come every other day, it would be nice if they did a little more than a "touch-up" which is to say they made my bed and made sure I had fresh toilet paper. I don't mind cleaning up after myself but it's nice to not have to tidy up and do the dishes while on vacation. If you can understand that any of the complaints apply to pretty much every place in Jaco, then you will definitely see that this is the nicest property overall.

Room Tip: L3 is on the top floor corner adjacent to the beach and the pool. It is on the side next to Clarita...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here in F5 with our three children for a week. Our visit fell into their "slow time" here, so most of the week we had the pool to ourselves. Loved it!!! The beach is beautiful! The view from the room was spectacular! The penthouses are clean and beautifully furnished. The staff is helpful and friendly. Great place to stay!!!!! Would love to come again!

Room Tip: We were in F5 - four balconies - lots of beautiful views!!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Murrieta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This is a great location. We only stayed one night but should of stayed the week. It is located on the beach and close to town where you can shop and eat. Safe and secure location so you can relax with all the modern thing you could possibly need while your on vacation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ocean city, md
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is our third year coming to Costa Rica. For the price of their "penthouse" this place is not worth the money. The pool bar which is advertised as one of their services is closed this week and we were not told this. When we asked for a credit in the cost of the room, they said the pool bar is not part of the property though they advertise it on their web site. The terrace furniture is falling apart. Only 1 of the 3 bedrooms has a tv. The "penthouse" is advertised as 2,004 square feet and it's no more than 1200 square feet at best.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
I'm sorry it has taken us this long to respond to you. I would like a chance to earn your business back. If you get this message please call us and ask for Lisle and I will personally make sure you are taken care. Again I apologize and hope that you will give us another shot. Thanks

Been to Daystar Bahia Encantada? Share your experiences!