“Good for surfers but not for kids.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Dolce Vita

You added La Dolce Vita to your Saves list
La Dolce Vita
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Esterillos Oeste, beach, 50 meters from Bus Stop, Jaco 60901, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Fresno, California
“Good for surfers but not for kids.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We booked a room here for a few nights off this gorgeous beach. We arrived in the early afternoon and checked in. The owner is a man of few words, a little hard to get info from and not very friendly. We needed to get some laundry done that day and he and his wife had it all folded and ready for us that evening. I did loose a couple of garments, which could happen even at the laundromat. We had a wonderful dinner that day at a restaurant called "Surf Mi", owned by a couple boys from Colorado that can cook! After dinner upon returning to the hotel, we found alive cockroaches but luckily all our stuff was still zipped. We also realized that the "Sofa bed" listed for our room was in fact a flat ratty futon and we had to pull out and it took up most of the kitchen/living room space and blocked the glass mall-like front doors. I just couldn't bare it anymore so we got our 3 small kids 5 and under and relocated using the only taxi we could find in town at about 11 pm. We relocated to Rancho Coral which was very nice and worth the extra fro a clean floor for my 1 year old to walk around on. We were charged the full amount for the night stay at La Doce Vita. I was sincerely trying to stay there but way too many things didn't seem to work. I could see this working as a crash pad for surfers but I wouldn't take the love of my life here or any families. I'd rather see dead cockroaches than living ones!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ladolcevita10, Manager at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends thank you very much for your review, this will allow us to improve the experiences of other guests. When you arrived you were welcomed in the usually best way by our staff. They also made a good laundry service for you, as from your feedback. We informed you that the sofa bed was small to host your 3 kids, anyway you decided to book only one room to keep your guys under control.
Every day we clean up and refresh all our confortable apartments and, as you may know, the hotel is working hard to respect nature around and is involved in sustainable Tourism. We try to use minimal pesticide in the hotel, trying to control the insects that come from beside the beach or from the forest and sometime, in this period of the year it is hard for us to eliminate all of them.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
marietta GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I loved this place!!! But be forewarned - this is not the ritz in any sense. Rooms were clean, but spartan and somewhat worn. The town is somewhat the same way. This is a great alternative from the busy touristy and tacky Jaco up the coast - the whole reason i chose to stay here.
setting was quiet and peaceful - very low key. Managers were very friendly and spoke enough english to get by- but they were very helpful.
a light breakfast is included - but we paid extra and ordered the extended breakfast - so worth it!! my son had pancakes, wife and i had egg platters - all was delicious and delivered with a smile to our patio.
place is right on the beach
had nice small, clean pool.
a few restaurants in the area and a small grocery store all within a quarter mile of hotel

If you like a low key, quiet location - you will love this property.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear friends, thank you very much for your nice and fair comments, We strive to give the best service and make each and every stay magical. We hope you will visit us again soon. Kind Regards.
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Driving into Estarillo Oeste is a bumpy ride and you will feel like you are lost if you take the wrong exit . There are two exits off the highway. Look for the one that has a sign with the hotel's name. It takes you to the little hub. A couple of restaurants, surf lesson shop, and the small market. Past the market turn right on the 2nd Street and take that to the end you will see the signs at that point. The place is run by a cute couple Emilio and Jasmine. They make your experience there very comfortable. There are about 14 units consisting of a kitchenette with a hot plate, a futon for extra sleeping, 1 bedroom with a queen size bed and a small bathroom with heated water. It also has a nice running air conditioner and a safe in the room. You also have a deck with table and chairs. They have a small kidney shaped pool that is warm like bath water which is great to soak in at night We were there in May and paid $75 a night. If you pay for 3 nights you get a discount of 15%. There is a free continental breakfast in the morning Emilio and Jasmine make out of their own kitchen. And the option to order something else on the menu for breakfast. All other meals are fend for yourself. We took surf lessons at Bretts surf shop and had a wonderful time. Douglas took us out. Walking on the beach in the morning and at night was wonderful. You can also play in the surf. We found it affordable. I would highly recommend this Hotel and would stay again ourselves.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear friends, thank you very much for your lovely and warm review !! We love that you had such a nice experience! and will always try to give the best to each and every of our guests in order to read nice words as the ones that you wrote. We are so glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us and are looking forward for your next trip to Costa RIca !!. Pura Vida.
Shoreline, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Its been two years since I stayed at La Dolce Vita but my memories of this small resort are pleasant. On the beach, strong air conditioning. The small staff is high on security and very freindly. Easy acess to the beach and the local shops.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Barbara, thanks for reviewing and having, after one year, still good memories of La Dolce Vita. We are proud we helped you to have fond memories of Esterillos Oeste and of the hotel and hope we will have the pleasure to host you again soon! Best Regards and Pura Vida. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were looking for peace, quiet, tranquility, and friendly, warm waves. La Dolce Vita and the Esterillos area delivered on all fronts :)

The room we stayed in was simple and immaculate. We were able to get food from the local super and cook our lunch and dinners in the kitchenette. The air conditioning in the bedroom was powerful, which was great for us because we were coming from much colder climes. The fridge was full sized and held everything we had. The wifi worked fine and we had multiple people streaming videos with no issues. There was a couch that converted to a full bed that made this a great place for us and our children (ages 10 and 12)

The hotel is like the room: simple and immaculate. There is a small kidney shaped pool that our kids loved to relax in after playing in the ocean. There is a small deck area with partial shade. The rooms are on one side of this area: they are lined up end to end. The surrounding garden is beautiful and well maintained. The hotel borders a camping area, and it can get loud on the weekends, but we were so tired by the end of the day that we didn't notice.

The hotel sits about 30 feet away from the beach, this is about as good as it gets for surfing. I'm an intermediate at best surfer, and was able to get 4-5 hours a day in the water, with lots of long rides, in the morning and early evening. Breakfast is served in the morning with coffee, toast, jam, and amazing fresh fruit.

The waves were chest to head high, but gentle and crumbly on the outside, perfect for longboarding. The waves on the inside were beach breaks, and there were a lot more shortboarders on the inside. I didnt surf on the inside very much, the outside waves gave much longer rides.

Everyone was very friendly on the waves, and during the week the break was completely uncrowded. There were gentle sections that the kids could boogieboard in, and the water was bathtub warm.

Esterillos Oeste is a sleepy town with one main road that has a bar, a place to rent surfboards, a small market, and a restaurant. In the evenings people would come to the beach to hang out and watch the surfers. We were usually too tired after the evening surf to make the short walk 'into' town to visit the bar, but it is a very short walk and everything feels very convenient.

In the afternoons (after the morning surf and breakfast) we would take the kids to Esterillos Centro, about 5 minutes away by car, where there is a beautiful, deserted beach. The tide would be out by this time and the water was 3-4 feet deep on a shallow shelf that went out about 100 yards. Mellow waves would hit that shelf and explode into walls of whitewater, which made for great boogie boarding that the kids absolutely loved.

The caretaker, his wife, and son were very friendly and patient with my terrible Spanish. The owner was very accommodating and did a last minute re-schedule when we found we had not booked the right dates.

I'm back from vacation now and still dreaming about those morning dawn patrols where I was one of four people out on the water. I hope to come back and stay at La Dolce Vita soon, it was an amazing, restorative experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your nice and comprehensive report on "La Dolce Vita" !! We all are very happy to know that you had such a great time with us. We hope to see you soon. Pura Vida !! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Tapa, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights. We loved every minute. As we came from Europe, time difference forced us to lay down at 8pm and to wake at 5am. We prepared coffee, took mugs and chairs and sat to the beach to watch sunrise. It was awesome! After I run by the beach, wife prepared breakfast and we swam for long time in warm ocean and took suntan. Rooms- kichenette and bedroom- were clean, AC worked quiet, As we had car, we did every day radial trips- to Tarcoles cocodriles watch, to Manuel Antonio and long roundtrip through Cordilleras. We wanted hotel with reasonable price right on the beach and we got it. Good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review, We all are glad to know that you had such a great time with us and that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to your next visit to Costa Rica and La Dolce Vita. Best regards and Pura Vida! info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was extremely happy with this hotel for the price, location, service, and the fact that it met my needs very well. I think I will be returning there for my surf trips in the foreseeable future.

I'm a middle aged SUP and longboard surfer who travels to Costa Rica solely for surf. I do not require much in the way of amenities. I usually surf first thing in the morning, and often a second time later if the wind stays down or backs off in the evening, and/or if there are more favorable tides later in the day.

With an extremely short walk outside of the gate of the hotel into a small grassy area adjacent to the beach parking area, you can check the surf in the shade of trees at the beachbreak immediately out front of the hotel, and the reef break just outside and a few dozen yard East. The reef break is a great point style longboard and SUP break that allows for long rides, with a lot of cutback sections, and the occasional running sections that allow for nose rides. The beach and reef area offers a lot of rolling peaks between the shore break and outside main peak of the reef that are also good for longboards, SUPs, and occasionally shortboards. The inside beachbreak/shorebreak is the real spot for shortboarding, offering more walled up sections. With a really solid swell the inside can get heavy and hollow, depending a little on the condition of the sand banks. When I was still shortboarding, that was my favorite area for shortboarding in that town. There are also other reefs (to the East) and beachbreak peaks (to the West) nearby, though that immediate reef and beachbreak area is the main surf attraction of the town. With the exception of the shorebreak on big swells though, I wouldn't really consider the waves particularly challenging or high performance, and it was not a favorite day trip spot for me until I got older. The spots are rather tide sensitive, not offering much quality within a couple hours of low, with mid to high tides being the best.

The location of the hotel for a surfer is really the best you can do in that town. My expectations in the way of a room are minimal, and this was actually a step up in quality over my usual accommodations. I was in one of the first floor rooms. I was happy with the bed and the multitude of pillows. Air conditioning in bedroom is enough to freeze you out if you want. I tended to turn it up during the middle of the day to get some of the cool air out to the living room where there was a ceiling fan and it got a bit warm. I probably could have slept with windows open during nights, but there was some animal noise, and occasionally noise from people in town in the evenings on weekends. The lifeguards at the parking area tend to keep the beach fairly clean, and they and others might have a trash fire or bonfire going in the evenings, the faint smoke from which would also leave me wanting to leave the windows closed instead.

The bathroom is small but navigable and nice. Water pressure a little suspect at times.

The living room can be a bit awkward. The convertible couch/bed blocks access to the fridge somewhat, as well as to extending the kitchen table out completely. Storage of my 9' board also made things a little more awkward in there. Not really enough to bother me much, but I think it would be hard to share the place with another surfer and his gear, and my girl might get a little frustrated dealing with my board in the middle of things as well. Without a big board though, I think it'd be fine for either. I was able to use the kitchen table as a desk for working on my laptop. One drawback was the internet capability. I'm not sure if the bandwidth was limited by the town's capability or the hotel's (or both). Seems there were days when I didn't have much bandwidth to play with, and this was definitely more noticeable when the hotel was full. I take long trips and need to get some business done while on them. It was not bad enough to discourage another stay there, but I will have to be prepared to have difficulties getting certain things done while there.

It's a short walk to a mini-super that has a pretty decent selection of food, beverages, beer, liquor, and beach-going odds and ends. The kitchen in the room has a couple of burners for cooking, as well as pot and pan, which I used a bit. A little hard to get the burner temps right for cooking my rice, though I got the hang of it over the long trip. The fridge is a pretty good size.

The small staff was extremely pleasant, helpful, and diligent, and a big plus for the place. Really nice plants and walls surround you outside of the rooms and by the pool to make it a quite pleasant little environment.

That should cover it. Great spot!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
ladolcevita10, Owner at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Friend, we thank you very much for your review. Your words and comments, so keen, will certainly help us to improve the logistic and some aspects of the hotel. We are happy you enjoied your stay and look forward to see you again in the near future. Pura Vida. info@hotel-ladolcevita.biz

Been to La Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!