“Location was great. Hotel was OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Dolce Vita

Save Saved
You added La Dolce Vita to your Saves list
La Dolce Vita
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Esterillos Oeste, beach, 50 meters from Bus Stop, Jaco 60901, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Tallahassee
“Location was great. Hotel was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We started our trip in Arenal, this was the 2nd part of our stay, and then we finished up our vacation in Manuel Antonio. We wanted to stay at a place that was on the ocean but were unfamiliar with the area. We wanted to stay near our final destination of Manuel Antonio and we had heard that Jaco was very busy and touristy. So we decided to find something near Jaco. Esterillos sounded really nice and the reviews I read from others said they liked the area.

BEACH:

The beach was beautiful. There was hardly anyone on the beach and it was great for long walks and finding shells. There were several tidal pool areas where the water was nice to take a dip in without getting pounded by the waves. The surf was really great and there were a few surfers out. (I had read this was a great surfing area, but didn't see quite as many surfers as I thought I would.) My kids enjoyed the beach as well and had fun playing in the surf. We saw macaws several times both on the beach and while driving on the road.

LOCATION:

The area around the hotel was very poor and rural and there was only 1-2 restaurants in walking distance of the hotel. The food was pretty good and the service was good, but for the 2 days we were in Esterillos, there wasn't much variety in the restaurants.

HOTEL:

The hotel itself was a small 6-apartment unit. The rooms were pretty small, but at least they had a small kitchen with a sink, refrigerator, and pull out couch for the kids. They had a pool as well. It wasn't very big, but the kids enjoyed it. The breakfast each day was very good. It consisted of different items every day. One day we had eggs, sausage, and toast, along with coffee, and the other day we had beans and rice and fresh fruit.

COST:

The cost I thought was a little high per night at $70, based on what we got. There was little in the way of amenities, with the exception of the daily breakfast. There was only 1-2 other guests staying at the hotel at the same time as we were there and hey mostly kept to themselves. Like in the other reviews I read, if you're looking for a place to stay where you can stay "cheap" and surf, this is for you. Otherwise you may be a little disappointed with the spartan accommodations.

OVERALL:

Overall, if I had a choice to stay here again, I wouldn't. It was OK at best and there certainly wasn't much to do in the area. The saving grace for us was that we knew we would be staying at a much nicer place when we arrived in Manuel Antonio. And for $70/night, I thought it was a little overpriced. I would think somewhere along the lines of $40-50/night max would be more appropriate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ladolcevita10, Manager at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comment, for choosing our hotel and our town as a destination for your holidays. Your comment is very important to help us improving our work and services and the stay of our guests. We are glad you liked our location and hope you will come back soon.

Nic

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It was my first time at Esterillos Oeste beach. I chose it to get away from the touristy Jaco where I have gone for 10 years before. As advertised, it is a small quiet beach location, very laid back.
I actually liked the beach here more than Jaco because it was cleaner, plenty big, and had way fewer people. I also found many more nice whole sea shells here. The waves were excellent for body surfing which I do...as well as for boards that I saw plenty of also.
The hotel itself is right on the beach, yet with it's own fenced area for security. I had the room overlooking the ocean, 2nd floor. It was comfortable in size for 1, 2, or 3 easily. The kitchen was complete...fridge, pots and pans and silverware, cooking utensils, etc. There are a couple stores less than 5 min walk away for all the food and drink basics.
I was not looking for fancy, expensive, so my evaluations are based on what I knew I was looking for.
I'll go again.

Room Tip: There is only one room facing the ocean, so try to book it ahead of time. But all the rooms are comf...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Port Jefferson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Esterillos is a small closely-knit Costa Rican town. This hotel is the best place to stay, I've been going to Esterillos Oeste for day trips for the last 7 years, to surf - now that I have found this place, we always stay the night. THe owner is very nice, he is on duty 24/7 making sure the place is safe. People leave their surfboards outdoors at night and don't even have to worry. The people in Esterillos are very nice - smile at them, be respectful, and you just might get invited along on a free fishing trip, or to a dinner in someone's home.

Dolce Vita is clean, charming, the A/C in the rooms works great, and the location is unbeatable. We love it - we will go again next month.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

La Dolce Vita in Esterillos Oeste was a fantastic first destination on my few months in Central America. The rooms are not too small and they are clean, and are equiped with a working kitchen and little bathroom. They also have AC which is a plus sometimes! Little pool helps you cool off if you are too lazy to walk the extra 1 minute across the sand into the ocean. Such good location! And great breakfasts! And seriously great town with minimal tourists from America and Canada, and a real authentic vibe. Would totally recommend Esterillos Oeste and La Dolce Vita!

Room Tip: Room number 1!!! it overlooks the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
st petersburg fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

You couldn't of ask a more personal place to stay at. It was clean and frendly. The host's did everything that you asked them for. Breakfast was good and served when you wanted it between the hours. All the other people that came in and out where also very nice. We gather around the self served bar nightly and enjoyed the priavte pool. The host made sure we where safe and picked up after us after to many beers. There were near by bars & grills and store's. No problem getting around. Lot's of beach to walk and wonderful sunrise and sunset's. Enjoy the birds, horse and other native animals.
Hat's off to Nick that helped us thu a rough time and the hostess.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

my daughter, my travel planner found this piece of paradise. Knowing that I would love to be near the ocean and the mountain she found perfect spot for us. We stayed at LDV for 4 nights. The rooms are clean and the kitchenette was handy for preparing lunch and dinners. Our room was facing the ocean and the swimming pool below. We met amazing guests and enjoyed their stories. Emilio and Jasmina were most helpful and always accomodating with requests. Jasmina prepared breakfast every morning with a smile. Little Anthony is so adorable with his beautiful eyes. There were a couple of restaurants around and also a pizza place and also a grocery store. We enjoyed watching the surfers, going for long walks and just chillin. Give this place a try you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for room #1 and if you're looking for a shuttle van ask for Julio Cascante of Transmanglares...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Esterillos Este, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed there 5 times while looking for a house to buy.The area is just plain beautiful.Local people are friendly and laid back.Beach goes for miles and is very clean.It is surfers paradise.
Emilio and Jasmina who run the hotel are awesome and take care of all your needs.And when you see their son Antoni you will want to have children again.i bought a house since close by but will spend my honeymoon in suite #1...Rooms are clean and if you need anything all you do is ask.Maybe i'll get honeymoon discount????.It's centrally located between Jaco and Quepos
(25 km) each way so you are not far from "bigger" cities.If you need more info call3059230993
I'll be in US another month.
Mikie

Room Tip: #1 is on second floor overlooking pool and beach
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to La Dolce Vita? Share your experiences!