“Perfect Beach Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarita's Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Clarita's Beach Hotel
Save Saved
You added Clarita's Beach Hotel to your Saves list
300 meters North of Best Western Hotel on the Beach, Jaco 0078, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 42 hotels in Jaco
chicago
“Perfect Beach Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

It was my first time going to Costa Rica and after reading many reviews, I took a chance on Clarita's. I was not disappointed at all. the pool was refreshing. the room was clean and it included a safe, however, i left some valuables out and left for the day. I returned to find maids had serviced my room and to my surprise all my valuables were still there. I was impressed by the honest staff! Thursday dollar beer nights made entrainment very cheap. I mingled with the locals that attended dollar beer night and they gave me great advice that saved me money on tours and activities. some of the food on the menu was average others were above average. everything was just a short walk from Clarita's and a 2 dollar cab ride brought me home at night. 24 hour security made me feel safe. overall i felt it was a great value and i will be returning.

Room Tip: A/C rooms worth the price.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Four of us just finished a week at Claritas and enjoyed our stay. They were very helpful in helping us find a good skipper for 3 days of fishing (Capt. Jorge). The rooms were clean but nothing fancy. Just right for a bunch of old fishermen! The staff was great, cute as they could be and never stopped working serving the guests and locals.
My only complaint was loud music on the weekends till midnight. It made sleeping tough till things quieted down. Guess I should have been in the bar not in my bed!
Food I thought was a little pricy but that seemed to be the case all over town.
I give Claritas a big thumbs up and when I go back on my next trip I'll stay with them again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Waterbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Well I will be coming down for the 10th time in 5 years next week. Where will I be staying. Claritas of course. Unfortunately my old friend Clarita who used to sleep outside my room every night and go for walks with me is no longer there, but Clarito is trying. If you are going on a vacation and want to get a good bang for your buck Claritas is for you. Good cold beer, good free java in the morning with your gallo pinto. They are on the beach and after 11PM the waves pounding on the beach will put you to sleep. Its far enough from the center of town so that there isnt much congestion, but only a 10 minute walk on the street, or 8 minutes if you walk on the beach to go to town. Easy to pick up a cab and for a little more than a buck, your there if your that lazy or hung over. Everyone there is friendly and attentive to your needs. But understand this is Costa Rica, not NYC. It might take 10 minutes to get your bill. the rooms are adequate and clean. Security is top notch. If you plan on spending 24 hours in your room on the internet and watching TV, stay somewhere else. I had a medical issue while there several years ago and the staff couldnt do enough for me. Its not the Ritz, but fits my style and budget.

Room Tip: I hate to say this but get a room towards the back. A little less noise from deliveries to bar in th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Friendly place for the younger or more night-active guests with a beautiful location on the beach.

Very friendly staff with one exception, a girl working the morningshift in the bar on Sat 19 January who was insanely rude for no reason, making me feel like I was a) her boyfriend and b) I had done something bad that deserved chewing out in a Latina sort of way. I didnt see her around anymore after that though so hopefully shes not around anymore. All other staff was fantastic and very helpful, even though they were real busy almost all the time.

Room was kinda basic but well kept and well cleaned in a friendly way including cutely folded towels. No ants or other small guests in room at all, which was a pleasant surprise. Small minus for occasional rat noises in the ceiling above my bed, but took me three days to even notice that, partly because I sleep with earplugs. Also you can hear neighbours between rooms quite a bit, so an upstairs room at the end of the hall is likely a good choice.

Lots of noise from the bar in the evenings. If you plan on sleeping early this is not the place for you unless you can sleep through partying. On the other hand if you want to be close to a bar where theres almost always action this is the place for you.

Bit of a walk into town, maybe 10-15 minutes walking, but then theres enough people at Claritas that you dont strictly have to go into town all that much.

All in all a good value for money place and nice base for your stay in Jaco.

Room Tip: Upstairs room at the end of the hall probably best choice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your nice review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Claritas. By the way, the noise you heard on the roof above your room was not rats. It came from our iguanas that go up to the roof at night to sleep free of predators such as cats and dogs. Once again gracias for giving us a try. Clarita, the owner
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

The place is location right on the beach, which is nice. Thursday $1 beers is fun. Unfortunately many waitresses look as if they really don't want to be working, some however are a fleshing exception. Other than this beware that Friday night karaoke should be avoided and get very loud in your room if you want an early night. Rooms are not clean.

Stayed January 2013
BOURNEMOUTH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Location. Not where Tripadvisor shows on map. Right on beach but on edge of town, good walk into centre, poor lighting at night, quiet streets, some may feel unsafe. inconvenient for town.
Booking. made over phone on morning, day of arrival, room type i'd booked not available when i arrived, wanted to charge additional to put me in an a/c room.
Staff. Too busy trying to run a bar/restaurant to give good customer service, not very helpful.
Room. Room 8, do not stay in it. Roof open to adjacent rooms at eaves so you get to hear neighbours talking and their tv. I stayed on a Thursday night. 7pm the dj soundsystem went into full effect, which penetrated the room, to the point of intolerable. this went on till 11pm.
From their website 'Thursday is all about Latina Musica and Dancing under the Stars to reggae, salsa, merengue and your requests'. no tv in room. safe keypad did not work so they had to find key for it.
Breakfast. Not included.
i could'nt wait to get away from there.
There just has to be better combinations of location, price, service, ambience from other places in town.
Pros. on beach, but most places only a couple of minutes from beach. chip for a free beer when you check in, but i'd advise going elsewhere and treat yourself for making a smarter choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I know the politically correct response to the review above is to say: "We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay, we will try to do better and hope you give us another chance." However, today I feel like being honest, rather than politically correct.
The above reviewer waited until the last minute, the day of, to rent a room in January, Costa Rica's busiest time of year. He appeared on our doorstep claiming he couldn't find an open room in town. He was told that we had only 1 ac room available for $70.00 plus tax. That was too expensive for him. Then our receptionist, whose heart is much bigger than mine, mentioned that we did have a non ac room with a private hot shower but we were not renting it because its TV was in repair and the room was located next to the Restaurant which had $1 Beer and Latin Music/Dancing every Thursday night including this night. The reviewer grabbed the room for $50 plus tax.
Now he writes a review complaining that the room had no TV and the music was too loud until 11:00pm.
The reviewer also writes that our location on the beach requires an "inconvenient" walk to the center of town. The "inconvenient" walk takes about 10 minutes! If 10 minutes on foot is inconvenient you can take a cab for $1.50.
Now that I've got that off my chest (and have had a couple tequilas) let me say to the reviewer: We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Clarita's, we will try to do better next time, and we hope you will give us another chance. Gracias, Clarita, the owner.
Small Town, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My first time visit to CR and Clarita's, stayed for 10 days and for me it was perfect. Super clean rooms, I felt the meals were excellent as well and priced right. The girls that work the bar/restaurant knew my name after only a day and were always friendly with prompt service, I truly can't understand a few of the negative comments concerning unfriendly service, be nice, be friendly, and understand if the bar is busy, they are also. It is a beach bar so be aware that it is a lively place at times, while I could certainly hear the music from the bar at night I would simply put on my sound machine and had absolutely no problem. Clarita's is just out of town.......a casual walk will put you at the other end of Jaco in 20 minutes, no more. I did this every day, as others have said a taxi is only $2.00 to the far side of town, $10 to La Playa Herradura and a bit less to playa Hermosa............
David, the manager was super, enjoyed my talks with him, and......while I did have an odor problem in my room one day, when I told David he immediatley came to my room, verified I had a problem and had his maintenance guy right there, in the meantime he offered me another room, which I took.....then , because of the inconvenience he comped me a free nights stay, I travel a LOT...and its very very rare to have this kind of service, and because of this I know that whenever I am in Jaco it's Clarita's for me, which by the way I am returning in January.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Clarita's Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!