“what a poor choice, especially on thursdays” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarita's Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Clarita's Beach Hotel
300 meters North of Best Western Hotel on the Beach, Jaco 0078, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 42 hotels in Jaco
BOURNEMOUTH
“what a poor choice, especially on thursdays”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Location. Not where Tripadvisor shows on map. Right on beach but on edge of town, good walk into centre, poor lighting at night, quiet streets, some may feel unsafe. inconvenient for town.
Booking. made over phone on morning, day of arrival, room type i'd booked not available when i arrived, wanted to charge additional to put me in an a/c room.
Staff. Too busy trying to run a bar/restaurant to give good customer service, not very helpful.
Room. Room 8, do not stay in it. Roof open to adjacent rooms at eaves so you get to hear neighbours talking and their tv. I stayed on a Thursday night. 7pm the dj soundsystem went into full effect, which penetrated the room, to the point of intolerable. this went on till 11pm.
From their website 'Thursday is all about Latina Musica and Dancing under the Stars to reggae, salsa, merengue and your requests'. no tv in room. safe keypad did not work so they had to find key for it.
Breakfast. Not included.
i could'nt wait to get away from there.
There just has to be better combinations of location, price, service, ambience from other places in town.
Pros. on beach, but most places only a couple of minutes from beach. chip for a free beer when you check in, but i'd advise going elsewhere and treat yourself for making a smarter choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I know the politically correct response to the review above is to say: "We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay, we will try to do better and hope you give us another chance." However, today I feel like being honest, rather than politically correct.
The above reviewer waited until the last minute, the day of, to rent a room in January, Costa Rica's busiest time of year. He appeared on our doorstep claiming he couldn't find an open room in town. He was told that we had only 1 ac room available for $70.00 plus tax. That was too expensive for him. Then our receptionist, whose heart is much bigger than mine, mentioned that we did have a non ac room with a private hot shower but we were not renting it because its TV was in repair and the room was located next to the Restaurant which had $1 Beer and Latin Music/Dancing every Thursday night including this night. The reviewer grabbed the room for $50 plus tax.
Now he writes a review complaining that the room had no TV and the music was too loud until 11:00pm.
The reviewer also writes that our location on the beach requires an "inconvenient" walk to the center of town. The "inconvenient" walk takes about 10 minutes! If 10 minutes on foot is inconvenient you can take a cab for $1.50.
Now that I've got that off my chest (and have had a couple tequilas) let me say to the reviewer: We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Clarita's, we will try to do better next time, and we hope you will give us another chance. Gracias, Clarita, the owner.

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Small Town, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My first time visit to CR and Clarita's, stayed for 10 days and for me it was perfect. Super clean rooms, I felt the meals were excellent as well and priced right. The girls that work the bar/restaurant knew my name after only a day and were always friendly with prompt service, I truly can't understand a few of the negative comments concerning unfriendly service, be nice, be friendly, and understand if the bar is busy, they are also. It is a beach bar so be aware that it is a lively place at times, while I could certainly hear the music from the bar at night I would simply put on my sound machine and had absolutely no problem. Clarita's is just out of town.......a casual walk will put you at the other end of Jaco in 20 minutes, no more. I did this every day, as others have said a taxi is only $2.00 to the far side of town, $10 to La Playa Herradura and a bit less to playa Hermosa............
David, the manager was super, enjoyed my talks with him, and......while I did have an odor problem in my room one day, when I told David he immediatley came to my room, verified I had a problem and had his maintenance guy right there, in the meantime he offered me another room, which I took.....then , because of the inconvenience he comped me a free nights stay, I travel a LOT...and its very very rare to have this kind of service, and because of this I know that whenever I am in Jaco it's Clarita's for me, which by the way I am returning in January.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Clarita's is the place to stay if you want a laid back beach experience. Nothing fancy or high dollar. Right on beach. Small facility but with restaurant and bar on site. Bar very popular with locals with entertainment most nights. Short cab ride to other entertainment in downtown Jaco.

Room Tip: Rooms all same.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stay at Claritas every time we go to Jaco. It's right on the beach and it's got a pretty much native Costa Rican style look. A lot of the other hotels are either not on the beach or are on the beach but have the look and feel of an American hotel transplanted to Jaco beach. The checkin was completely hassle free and they had the reservation information (from the internet) printed out and ready to go when we showed up. I was recommended by Claritas to use Adrian for the ride down from San Jose. He showed up exactly when he said he was going to which, you know if you've spent any time in Costa Rica, is a rarity.

Room Tip: Get an A/C room. Jaco is very humid. They run specials sometimes where you get the fourth night fr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Definitely not a five star hotel, but as far as a beach hotels go, this is the best. Super safe w 24 hour security guard. Awesome restaurant with really good food and great service. The staff was exceptionally great and caring. Located directly on beach, only a $1 cab ride from all the action, but removed far enough for peace during the day. Hang out at the beach bar, play volleyball, or swim in the pool. I've stayed at beach hotels all over the world, and this was the best for my money. Can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed November 2012
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just want to start off by saying if you have been to Jaco and never stayed at Claritas you don't know what you are missing great people great view great room great prices and the best food in Jaco. The owner Cigar Dave treats everybody like family one the best guys i come to meet in Jaco. Dave looking forward to coming back in January.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Clarita's for one night and actually thought about leaving by 11pm - we read the reviews and it was even recommended in our guide book - but don't be fooled like us! For the same price, there are much better places to stay. We had just spent 8 hours traveling by bus, ferry and bus again to Jaco and were exhausted; too bad no one mentioned that it was karoke night at Clarita's Sports Bar!! The sound of ridiculously loud singing shook the walls of our room until after midnight. The food is over priced and she charges you 200 colones to sit at the tables outside on the beach. The location is extremely removed and is at least a 20 minutes walk to the shops and restaurants. The room was not very clean, there was sand on the floor and a thick film of dust on almost every surface. Overall for the exact same price, we moved to another hotel that offered more amenities and is in a much better location. The best thing about Clarita's is the free Coke or Beer you get when you check in - if only they gave ear plugs with that too!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Clarita's Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!