“Easy to Relax and Enjoy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarita's Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Clarita's Beach Hotel
You added Clarita's Beach Hotel to your Saves list
300 meters North of Best Western Hotel on the Beach, Jaco 0078, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Woodland Hills, California
“Easy to Relax and Enjoy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I spent 4 nights are Clarita's, prepared myself for the negatives others wrote on this website - no blanket, too much noise, rooms dark, beach dirty.

Honestly - For my needs, it was perfect. The rooms are basic - nothing fancy but great A/C, large fridge, comfortable bed, decent towels and linen, a safe just big enough for my netbook, no blanket needed as there is a bedspread when the A/C is on, A/C rooms face the ocean with lots of light during the day, and yes, the back part of the room is dark, but the only thing there was my closet and the safe. But I could still read the safe numbers easily.

Service was exemplary. The bar/restaurant sits on the sand. Food quite decent, drinks of every description made by a great staff. And the serving ladies were sweet and efficient. Every night some kind of music - from Karaoke one night to live music the next, and much to my liking, often packed mostly with locals, rather than mostly tourists. So it was easy to get a real sense of CR and to meet locals.

Yes, the music is easily heard in the rooms until it ends at 11am. Not overly loud, and probably for a normal sleeper, you could fall asleep despite it.

The beach was absolutely fine, a soft reddish/gray volcanic sand, easy on the feet, water at bathtub temperatures, the waves intense and not easy to swim but easy to body surf or to walk with feet in the water and to explore the coastline.

It would be easy to spend a few days at Clarita's without going anywhere and have a great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Let's look at the pros first. You are directly on the beach where it is much cooler with the breeze all day. Surfing is good 200 yards N. There is a small pool as well. The staff has changed recently. The best and friendliest waitresses remain. The new ones are being trained about service. There is a volleyball court. Horseshoes are available with a simple request. There is a small island that you can access at low tide only 500 yards N. There you will see parrots and sometimes monkeys.The rooms are clean if a little small. There is ample parking at the hotel. You can even drive on the beach here. The cons are simple. The food is overpriced and not that great. But hey its a beach bar folks. If you want a harbor view with good food at a high price go to the Hook Up at Los Suenos about 20 minutes away. Sometimes service is slow but thats because there is some form of entertainment nearly every day. If there are 100 people and 4 servers, it will be slow. But if you interrupt a waitress and tell them you need something, you will get it. If you are into sports, you may have to go somewhere else to see them. They have no real dish etc and the staff has no time or inclination to search cable. The main drawback is that there is loud music until 11PM most nights. If you are a person who is a light sleeper, this may not be for you. There are a few working girls at night as well. But that is true of nearly all locations in Jaco. They do not approach or bother you unless you encourage them. Overall I like Claritas because I am a local and they all know me. I enjoy the sunsets and walking the beach which is cleaner and less crowded on the North end. I rate it a 3 only for the loud music, small rooms and lack of sports.

Room Tip: Behind the pool to the right is best
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Carbondale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We enjoyed the hotel and restuarant. When the safe did not work, they moved us quickly. Although the rooms are small and basic, they are on the beach. The small pool was nice and refreshing. The staff at the restuarant were extremely friendly, and gave us our free drink. After a day and night of weary travel, we really enjoyed the place and the whole red snapper was great. Have not had that since Mexico. I thought the bartenders and waitresses were really friendly. I was with my husband, we are in our 60's, and they went out of their way to assist us with the food and the room. Also, obviously thought they were all great looking. The rooms are small and dark (hard to punch in that safe #), but for being on the beach, it was great. Enjoyed the Chicago signs, Bear/Cub fan? I would recommend it. A wonderful beach bar and hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here twice while travelling through the area. Rooms are clean and basic. Great outside bar and grill on the beach. Food is very good. Some rooms have ac and each room has a small safe. Security on the property is good with a security guard that remains on the parking lot. I always feel very comfortable staying here and the staff is very friendly. Remember this is a 3 rd world country so don't expect the Hilton. For the money can't be location and accomidations.

• Stayed March 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012 via mobile

The back of the rooms is so dark you hardly can see. I dropped two souvenirs made of glass because it was to dark to see. The staff is really unfriendly and always seems to have no time for you, always in a rush. No pura vida. Finally, the place is very much overpriced. Because of these things, overall I didnt like it.

• Stayed February 2012
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
I am very sorry this reviewer found our staff to be unfriendly and with no Pura Vida. Be assured I'm on it! There is no excuse for being unfriendly to our guests. This review has been translated into Spanish and given to each of my employees with a note from me that says: "NO PURA VIDA, NO JOB".
I thank this reviewer for bringing this to my attention. While we have alot of fun with our guests at Claritas I will not tolerate any employee who is rude or unfriendly to people who spend their hard earned money expecting a great vacation and Clarita's Pura Vida. We will try harder! Gracias. Clarita
Newmarket, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

From the check in onwards we found the staff to be disinterested at best but mostly rude. The rooms are very dated but just passable. This is an ok hotel for backpacking or hosteling but don't expect a hotel of high quality if you're comparing to other hotels. Saying that, the food in the restaurant was excellent but I would not suggest taking any children near there at night as it is full of 'working girls' but if that is your thing you'll have a spectacular time. If you want a good party it would be great as It is lively but consequently very loud if you're trying to sleep. There are other hotels in the area that charge similar and are a little less basic. An interesting stay, right on the beach so you can't fault it for that but don't expect luxury and you won't be disappointed. I've given it a poor rating but maybe it just wasn't our cup of tea.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
I am ashamed and sorry that this reviewer found our staff to be unfriendly and rude. Be assured I'm on it! While February was a busy month for us, there is absolutely no excuse for being rude to our guests. Claritas is the busiest bar and restaurant in Jaco because we insist on good, friendly service with a smile and a "Gracias" to our guests. This review has been translated into Spanish and given to each of my employees with a note from me that says: "NO PURA VIDA, NO JOB".
I thank this reviewer for bringing this to my attention. While we do have alot of fun with our guests at Claritas I will not tolerate any employee who is rude or unfriendly to people who spend their hard earned money expecting a great vacation and Clarita's Pura Vida. We will try harder! Gracias. Clarita
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012 via mobile

The hotel lied about the rates at Internett. Anounced 50, but actually 60$. The budget rooms should not cost that much, they are worth 25$.
Our room was like a restroom in a karaoke-bar. The karaoke was so loud in our room that we couldn't hear eachother talk. And we did not have any use of the cable tv, because we couldn't hear it. Nice pool, but you can not use it after nine a clock.

• Stayed February 2012
da22, Owner at Clarita's Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Let's be accurate: We don't lie about our prices. We lie only about my weight, age and how much I had to drink last night!
Our web site (in English) clearly states that rates for non ac rooms in the high season of February 2012 are $60 per night which includes tax. Per our web site, the non ac rooms cost $50 from May-November, the low season. This guest stayed in February 2012 thus $60 per night. Perhaps this guest/reviewer does not speak English. If so we apologize for his confusion
Our pool is open 24 hours. We do have a sign that says (in English) "No loud noises in the pool area after 9:00pm". Perhaps this guest/reviewer does not speak English. If so we apologize for his confusion.
Finally, the reviewer states that the room he chose looked like a restroom and was only worth $25. NOW I'M CONFUSED. Before renting the room for $60 the reviewer inspected the room and saw that the less expensive non ac room was located close to the bar/restaurant while the $80 ac rooms were located far away from the bar. Nevertheless, he decided to take the cheaper non ac room that he personally inspected. Why look at the room, then rent it for $60 and later write that the room was like a restroom in a Karaoke bar and only worth $25? Yep, that is why my hair is grey and I'm only 24. Gracias. Clarita

Been to Clarita's Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!