“Perfection!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Catalina

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jaco
Hotel Catalina
You added Hotel Catalina to your Saves list
Calle Hidalgo | South Jaco Beach, Beachfront!, Jaco 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Jaco B&B and Inns
Montana
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Catalina with my girlfriend over Christmas break. We were looking for something quiet on the edge of Jaco, which can get a little loud downtown sometimes. We found perfection at Hotel Catalina. After we were dropped off by our taxi, Naomi greeted me by name at the gate. The hotel was empty at the time and she gave us the choice of whatever room we wanted. She then showed us through the room which was perfect for two people. The rooms have one double bed and one twin. They also have a small kitchen with assorted pots, pans, etc. and a fridge. The bathroom was perfect, too. Everything was VERY clean. There was no TV, however, I did not travel to Costa Rica to watch TV, I had an ocean 50 yards from me. The rooms are also cleaned every morning,with new towels arranged in cute shapes on your bed with fresh flowers.
The owners Naomi and her Mom Sandra were two of the nicest people I have ever met. They went out of their way to help us with taxis, ordering take in food, calling tours, and directions. Naomi was always around to help us with anything we needed and with a big smile. When my girlfriend stubbed her toe Naomi quickly brought out a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and gave it to us. My girlfriend and I were utterly charmed within minutes and left that way, too. It was exactly what we were looking for and hoping for during our stay in Costa Rica, a quiet little out of the way Inn with super friendly people, not some big Americanized hotel with satellite TV and walls around it to keep Costa Rica out. I can't say enough good about this hotel and Naomi and her Mom Sandra. We will most definately be back and I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to slow down and take it easy and who is not looking for a loud and crazy place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Upper NY state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

The Hotel Catalina is a wonderful choice for a beachfront vacation in Costa Rica. The owners will arrange a driver and van to pick you up at the Airport in San Jose and drive you to the hotel/beach. The hotel is a bit of a secret: picturesque with clean rooms and simple charm. Family owned and maintained. It's wonderful to walk out of the hotel, take a few steps and be on the beach. Then back to the hotel- shower the sand off and relax near the pool. The waves are medium sized year-round, which is perfect for a surf lesson. I'm 43 and arranged several surf lessons: the instructor essentially finds the wave for you, saying "paddle!" at the exactly the right time. All the luggage you need is a swimsuit and flip-flop sandals. I rented a bicycle for the week and enjoyed cycling the short distance to the surf-town of Jaco. I explored the local restaurants and ate fresh snapper and sea bass with rice at least one meal per day. I wish I could have stayed longer but I had to get back to work. It's been almost a year now since my visit and I'm reserving a room again at the Hotel Catalina.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

It was relatively quiet when I visited, apart from the amazing thunderstorms over the bay that we could watch from the patio. The rooms are spacious and very well kept. The domesticated four-legged company is a big plus as well, since I don't have any pets of my own. Would definitely stay here again and would heartily recommend it (and have) to anyone heading near Jaco.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
Vero Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Terrific. Spent considerable time here. Very comfortable. Always a breeze coming off the ocean. Great sunsets. Peaceful, quiet, tranquil. Caring, conscientious management. Nice guests. Cool dog.
Beachfront location in southern end of Jaco lends itself to hiking and surfing. Easy access to the fun trails located in the mountains just to the south as well as to the hidden coves and rock outcroppings between Jaco and Hermosa. At high tide, simply step outside your room to check the waves. Walk a few steps and you're in the water.
Rooms are clean and well maintained. Light and airy. Fully functional little kitchen. Comfortable bed.
Good stuff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We sent several couchsurfing (www.couchsurfing.com) and home exchange (www.homeexchange.com) friends to the Catalina for some beach time these past few months, and remembered that we owed ourselves a visit. Especially when our friends came back to thank us for the recommendation. Fortunately for us, the Catalina is only 2 hours from our front door.

Sooooo...it was great to be greeted by Naomi's smiling and relaxed face, and our room was cool, clean, and comfortable. The refrigerator was even cold. There just is no downside to a stay at the Catalina. We'll be back again soon...maybe talk some family and friends into another Christmas week loxing out at poolside:)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

I am from Minnesota and have stayed at Hotel Catalina 3 different visits and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The hotel is clean, cozy, safe and friendly. It is located on the quite end of the beach and is right on the beach. The rooms have kitchens, bathrooms with showers, and comfortable beds. They get cleaned daily by a friendly honest maid. I love the owner Naomi who is an American but speaks perfect Spanish so she helps with all transactions, calls, questions, taxi,etc....... She also makes a great Pina Colada for her guests at sunset. The sunsets are clearly seen from the outdoor poor area and in three weeks I only missed one and that was because it was cloudy. The town is an easy walk from the hotel and every Friday the outdoor market is a short walk from the hotel also which should never be missed - all the fresh fruits and veggie the farmers bring to town! There is also a hill a short walk from the hotel which gives an outstanding view of the ocean and surrounding hills. You can see monkeys, lizards and many many different kinds of birds during the hike up the hill. A short bike ride over the hill is another beach worth seeing and if you like surfing it is as good as Jaco beach for surfing, boggie boarding and just playing in the waves! Jaco has a lot of variety - surfing, boggie boarding, zip-lines, fishing, 4 wheeling, day trips, great food!!! etc.......
I give Hotel Catalina 5 stars and Naomi 10 stars!
Don't miss this stay!
love joy peace
Lauri

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

I stumbled upon this place about 4 years ago, and I come back every year! Its quiet and just far enough away from the hussle and bussle of Jaco. You can relax and enjoy the beach, thats just steps from your room Or enjoy a short walk in to town for dinner, nightlife, and shopping. Its by far the safest yet affordable and comfortable place to stay in Jaco for anybody and everybody.
Ive been all over Costa Rica, and as far as accomodations, and the best sunsets... this is the place you'll want to visit.
Naomi is also the biggest help with anything. From setting up transfers to and from the airport, or recommending things to do...whatever your needs may be, shes great!

• Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Catalina? Share your experiences!