“A Hidden Gem in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Quebrada Seca | 400 M Este from Costanera, Jaco 4132, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 39 hotels in Jaco
Oldcyrus
“A Hidden Gem in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

My friends and I traveled across Costa Rica from the Caribbean side to the Pacific side. In the middle of our trip we had the pleasure of staying at Doce Lunas. We were in dire need of the TLC that Doce Lunas provided upon our arrival from the Caribbean side. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. All my clothing was dirty and dank from the moistness of the east coast and the staff gladly took it all and returned it that afternoon clean and folded. The room was spectacular. This is the type of room that you find hard to leave. The room alone is reason enough to bring my girlfriend to this hotel in the very near future. But when you do find the urge to venture out onto the grounds there are plenty of great places to enjoy. The pool is spectacular and hotel staff was quick to provide whatever was needed. My friends and I found that the bar/restaurant quickly became our favorite place to start and end our days. The kitchen put out entrees that were spectacular. The cook had specials that changed each day. The variety was great even though I would have been happy to eat the cordon bleu chicken oven carrot puree with wild mushroom ragout every meal. This hotel is a little ways off the main strip of Jaco. But if you have ever been there you know that this is a good thing. It was great to come back from the buzz of downtown Jaco to the tranquil setting of Doce Lunas. We met the owner, Chris, at the bar and he could not have been more accommodating. As he explained to me all the facilities for business and health and told me of all the events coming to the hotel I wished that I did not have to leave. I left jealous that this is his life but found solace in that I would return very soon. Even though this hotel was perfect for me and my friends on our guy trip I look forward to returning to take advantage of the more intimate details with my girlfriend. I have traveled quite extensively across the world and rarely do you find a place that offers as much as Doce Lunas. It has deeply embedded itself as one of my favorite places. Kudos to Chris and all the Doce Lunas staff!

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

In early March, a couple of buddies and I , spent a few days in Jaco. Our stay at Docelunas Hotel and Spa was a relaxing break from our rustic Caribbean accommodations. Located about a five minute walk to Jaco, the hotel is a tropical paradise. Jaco is a medium sized town in Costa Rica, with a hopping nightlife and an abundance of day activities including, jungle tours, snorkeling, and some of the best surfing in the country. The sunset on the beach was a beautiful mix of orange, red, and blue reflecting off the water. I highly recommend checking it out.
The walkways connecting rooms, pool, restaurant, and spa are lined with a variety of plants and colorful flowers. One evening, while walking to happy hour with another guest, I noticed a powerful, sweet smell that I had not smelled before. When I asked the bartender "What’s that smell?" "Ylang-ylang trees," he responded. "They make perfume out of it, and at dusk, you can smell them for about two hours." There are three or four on the property and they smell great! After a couple of drinks., I had a dinner fit for a king. I felt like a king in this beautiful paradise.
The pool was a great place to unwind, get on my laptop and take care of some a work. High speed Wi-Fi is available at the pool, in my room, and even in the restaurant. When I mentioned how pleased I was, the staff told me that they have a computer at the front desk for guest, a conference center with room for 100 and a top of the line audio/visual system. It made me hope that someday my job will have a work retreat here.
On our last night, a group of guests charted a fishing boat and came back with an abundance of fish. We all enjoyed fresh fish grilled poolside by the chef. It was a great last night in Jaco and I will, most definitely return to Docelunas.
If you are planning on going to Jaco, check out Docelunas. You won't be disappointed.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Recently, I escaped the politicized world of Washington, DC for a week of rest and relaxation in delightful Costa Rica. Factors for deciding my R&R location were: 1) Shortest time from San Jose Airport; 2) Sustainable Development facilities; 3) Reasonably priced Alcohol; and 4) Fishing. The Dolce Luna accomplished everyone one of my needs and then some.
Most happily I was amazed at how impeccably clean everything was yet toads hopped around the pool and Coatis (animal according to Audubon guide) happily paraded along the walls. This is a stark contrast from the chain hotels in the area which are devoid of wild life because they pour mass purchased cleaning acids everywhere removing all living things in the process. Even better was the price of beer – a couple dollars a bottle versus the 8 dollars a beer spent at a prior spot in Costa Rica. Those extra charges matter because, you might think you are going to the discount beer store but, you know you are going to wake up and get as far as the pool the first couple hours of each day in that bone warming, stress disappearing Costa Rican Sun. So lounge back at the Dolce Luna and drink a few at the start of the day and wash away the residue of work while keeping your earnings.

Finally the staff of Dolce Luna was a delight of humor and smiles. One smile multiplies into multiple smiles which are what I want when I escape the intrigue in DC. I highly recommend Dolce Luna because it will exceed your expectations. Now if I could just get some of my agencies contractors to exceed ………..

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Beautiful, inviting grounds full of exotic flowers, trees and birds; spacious, tastefully-decorated, spotless rooms; fresh, delicious, healthy food and an outstanding team that consistently go the extra mile.

We were a group of six travellers, ranging in age from 3 to 75, looking for a vacation spot that would suit our diverse needs. We found it at Doce Lunas in the Jaco area of Costa Rica. We chose Doce Lunas in large part because of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor and headed there with a healthy dose of scepticism, hoping not to be too disappointed. Well, we weren’t disappointed at all! On the contrary, Doce Lunas is everything everyone has said and more: a gorgeous, comfortable and relaxed setting that is clean, well-maintained and perfectly suited for young children, older folks and everyone in between. What really makes the place shine, though, is the people involved: the congenial owner, Chris, who provided not one but two backup plans to ensure a planned teleconference was successful; the conscientious manager, Brian, who got out of bed at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning to facilitate said teleconference; the resourceful (and handsome) Juan Carlos, who staffed the front desk with an infectious smile; the attentive staff who meticulously served the meals, cleaned the rooms, maintained the grounds and made sure the kids got a glimpse of the elusive kinkajou; and, finally, the talented chef, Shaibu, who whet our palates daily with the most delicious, fresh, locally-sourced meals.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

My friends and I traved down to Jaco and spent some great time at Dolce Lunas!! The grounds of this place is beautiful! We ate a wonderful dinner there, all the food was prepared by the best cook ever Mr. Shaibu!! The owner of Dolce Lunas, Chris, he is such a awesome most welcoming man. If you are ever in Jaco you must stay at Dolce Lunas!!! Thank you for such a magnificiant stay in Jaco!!!

Everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I ended my Costa Rica trip at the Doce Lunas Hotel, and it made leaving the beautiful country that much harder! Chris treats his guests extremely well and will go out of his way to make sure you enjoy your time in Jaco. The hotel provides a quiet oasis from the crazy beach town and the bathrooms are incredible- possibly the best shower I've ever taken.

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I found the hotel Docelunas in Jan 2006. I have been back 2 times a year ever since in Jan and March. I am world traveled and can stay where I like but come back to this Hotel and this country like a migratory creature. The rooms are very nice, the grounds fantastic and the staff make me feel like I am returning home. I am leaving in a few hours with a group of 14 of my friends from NYC for Spa treatments, fishing, surfing and just a whole lot of relaxation. I had the very best time ever last Jan with my Wife. It was PERFECT...
Peace
Jeff

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!