“Over-rated; service leaves much to be desired” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Ottawa
“Over-rated; service leaves much to be desired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stayed at Docelunas with our friend who had been there previously (about 3 years ago). We chose it because she has enjoyed it so much then, but she thought, and we felt similarly, that it has gone downhill -- mostly in the service department. Docelunas has luxury prices, but middle-of-the-road service. The rooms and surroundings are beautiful, but I am not sure that they will stay that way over the long run. The place was quite unoccupied when we stayed there- and that was the high season. We thought we could see why. If you are an early riser, do not count on breakfast as it does not arrive till eight am. We asked for an early breakfast due to a commitment off-site and were told they could not accommodate us. The next day we did have breakfast but it was nothing special.
We stayed two nights and because we forgot to put out the sign to tidy our rooms, no one entered our room-- normally we expect this to be a negative option thing. The bar was completely dead when we visited. The pool was too hot to have a good swim. Overall a disappointment and one of the few ones in Costa Rica.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
ManagerofDoceLunas, Manager at DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Thanks for your review. We have changed our restaurant and cleaning policies to better accommodate guests based on your comments as you can read below.

Thank you for complimenting us on our beautiful rooms and surroundings!

Inexplicably, you say you are not sure they will stay that way over time.

We can assure you they will. We have no doubt that our skilled, enthusiastic, and appreciated buildings and grounds staff of 8 people, who love working at our 20 room hotel, will continue to do an excellent job of not just maintaining, but rather constantly improving our beautiful rooms and grounds.

I see them doing their jobs with big smiles on their faces every day and I know they take pride in what they are doing. It is in large part because of them that the hotel shines like it does and they already know this, but all encouragement helps, so we will convey your indirect compliment. We will leave out the seemingly random and unmotivated insult.

To other potential customers -
As this reviewer notes, other people rate this very hotel differently. Most people love the service here and go so far as to call it excellent.

Other reviews show our staff is friendly, competent, knowledgeable, eager to help, appreciated by management and onwership, and most importantly, they like being in the hospitality business because they are friendly people.

But the reviewer didn't say anything to indicate otherwise; their issues were with only our policies I think.

I am happy to report we have changed our policies in response to this guest's review to provide even better service, so please read on.

speaking again directly to our friends from Ottawa -

We don't feel your comments merit a two rating, but we do appreciate the insights and have made policy changes. Please let us address your comments:

THREE STAR RATES, FOUR STAR HOTEL

Our rates, as you can see if you go to our website, which also links fearlessly to our competitors for your easy comparison, are not luxury rates. We are an ICT certified four star hotel but our prices are in the range of three star hotels and we beat the prices of all four star hotels in the area in every room class by as much as 50%.

NEW CLEANING POLICY IS JUST EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT

Our old cleaning policy, motivated by ecological concerns and a desire not to disturb our guests, was to clean only at the guests' request, but judging from your two rating, you were very angry with us when you say you forgot to ask us to clean.

To better serve our customers, we will now offer every guest the option to choose the common policy that your room will be cleaned unless you put out a do not disturb sign OR the option to choose our old eco-friendly privacy policy - in which case your room will be cleaned on request only. Whatever you want, that is what you get.

That way, whether you forget to ask for cleaning or forget to put out the do not disturb sign, you will have no reason to be upset with anyone because your preference will be observed when you come to DoceLunas and forget your troubles. Pura vida !

Simple. So very very simple.

We will ask our guests what they want and then give them that.

Why doesn't everybody do this? Maybe they have no friends from Ottawa to help them out.

BREAKFAST AT WHENEVER !

We were initially concerned our receptionist had not notified you that we offer a boxed version of our free breakfast that you can keep in your room refrigerator. He assures us that he did, and we think he is generally a great employee. But Grelfrench, thank you for your comment. Now we know we have some guests who will not find this adequate.

Our new policy is that any guest who wants to eat before 8 can either get the boxed breakfast or any other item they wish to order and store or they can get a free ride to and from a nearby restaurant that is open at all times and a $4 credit to replace their free meal. If you take us up on this offer, you will get a bigger but less fancy breakfast.

SORRY, COSTA RICA WILL REMAIN HOT IN SPITE OF HOTEL POLICY CHANGES

We are sorry that you did not find our pool adequately cold. It is very big and has a light colored bottom as you can see on the guest photos on this site, so its about as cool as a pool can be in Jaco.

The thing is, we are at 9 degrees north of the equator, so the sun heats things up around here. Its cooler at the base of the mountain, but you are still in tropical Costa Rica near sea level.

We do have a nice waterfall cave so you can be in the pool behind the waterfall in the shade of the cave. Also, we are looking into installing "vivero screening" above the pool to provide partial shade.

DOCELUNAS- BEAUTIFUL BEFORE, BEAUTFIUL LATER, BEAUTIFUL RIGHT NOW. TIME TRAVELERS WELCOME.

This was your first visit, and you think DoceLunas is beautiful, yet at the same time, you agree it has gone downhill and think it might go further downhill. We find this confusing.

You have stopped to smell the roses, but have then traveled back in time to imagine them being even nicer so now you are disappointed, and forward in time to imagine them wilted.

Please come stay here with us in the present where it is, according to your own perception, simply beautiful. And we promise we won't deteriorate.

But Ok, we guess you thought the hotel had a careless attitude and that is why you thought we might detoriate. I ask you, is this the management response of a hotel with a careless hotel attitude?

I think you can tell, this is the management response of a hotel on a never-ending quest to transcend excellence and achieve the impossible: perfection. "O.K". is no where near close to good enough for us, and "very good" means "needs improvement" around here.

We have changed our policies to address all your complaints except that Costa Rica is hot, and we will give you a bag of ice you can take into the waterfall cave with you so you can stay nice and cool, so please come back soon and tell us what you think.

Thanks again, guest from Ottawa, for your insights that have led us to our excellent new policies.

Thanks to tripadvisor for letting me post this Epic management response and letting the world know that DoceLunas is the best non-budget hotel in Jaco according to guest ratings.

If you read all the way to hear, you at least deserve a joke. This one is from Costa Rica.

What did the snail say when it rode the turtle?

Wheeeeeeeee !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Hello everyone.
I went to Costa-Rica in 2008 and I spent there one and half month. I traveled from my hometown, Prague - Czech Republic. The flight was so long I was looking forward for a shower and a comfortable bed. The hotel satisfied me way beyond my expectations. Nice spacious room with a big bathroom, cable TV facing the bed, fast Internet connection, cozy sitting area. And after you leave the door you are in front of a big sweet mosaic pool with a small cage to hide from the sun.
I heard about the hotel from a friend in Prague who talked about the trip over and over. Now I know why :o)
Since my flight was in January I arrived from the cold Czech winter into the summer season in tropical country, which was a first and I worried about the heat a bit. The Hotel area was actually much cooler then in the city center with mountain breezes and lots of shade from all the beautiful trees all around.
I travel a lot in general and mostly as a solo traveler, so safety is very important! I was a bit concerned about the safety in Jaco for a single young woman, but there is not really much to worry about. The hotel property is all fenced with guards on duty all night (btw. my Spanish was really poor so they often helped me catching the cab late hours, when the reception closed.) And in the center of Jaco is safe too. There are tons of restaurants, bars and shops on the main street, lenghtwise the beach, that are always crowded. This street is located circa 20 minutes walk from the hotel. At first I thought to rent a car, but the taxi´s are so cheap comparing to Prague! There was no need.
What I enjoyed the most in the hotel beside the regular things like the room, nice stuff etc. was the unique romantic and very relaxing atmosphere similar to my imagination of a big paradise garden full of fruit-trees, flowers and little stone paths ending in the restaurant Eclipse and a Spa center with Bikram Yoga Studio with an ocean-view! God! I can´t wait go to back :) One of the great features was also a note I found in the room saying that the tap water is filtrated and drinkable! How cool is that!
The food in the hotel restaurant was great, I think they had organic vegetables only and the Canadian manager gave me a lot of interesting tips what to do and see. I met the owner too and seemed as a really nice guy.
During the period of time there I went to see couple different towns along the Pacific side, but I kept coming back to Jaco and there was no doubt which hotel I´ll pick!!
Costa-Rica was a great relaxing and soul-filling experience, perfect vacation place that meets entertainment, sports, nightlife and relaxing, spiritual aspect in one. You can surf, go fishing, make trips to the rain-forests, dance salsa, scuba-diving and there are so many other things to do! Plus you can pick an orange or banana from a tree when you´re hungry and eat it!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Vancouver BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Absolutely Divine. I had the pleasure of meeting Brain in the Canadian embassy in San Jose, I had lost my passport and was having a hell of a time .When I met Brian that all changed, he told us about his Hotel and invited us there. We arrived in paradise , I was blown away. Dolce Lunas is the perfect Hotel, it has all your needs and wants.Thank you Brain and Chris for an unforgettable time , you guys rock.

Ciao,
CanadianGirl4:20

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Me and a friend traveled to Jaco and had an amazing stay at Doce Lunas. Chris and Brian were incredibly friendly and helpful and also available. We sat in the Bar/restaurant with them and felt very welcome.
The grounds are beautiful, and serene--a perfect getaway from the bustle of Jaco. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom and shower are a great--the best in Costa Rica.
We definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in a beautiful hotel on the outskirts of a town with a great nightlife and great beaches. We only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at Doce Lunas for a week in Feb. One of the best hotels I have stayed in anywhere. It was recommended to me by a friend, and now I know why. The grounds were bueatiful, exotic plants and birds. Not to mention a great swimming pool, which has it's own version of the grotto waterfall. The rooms are very impressive, comfortable beds, clean and well decorated. Great food, great service, great hotel...what more could you ask for. The staff was great, very helpful. Brian and Chris know where all the best spots to visit are. Thanks to Chris and Brian for such and enjoyable vacation. The only place I would stay in Jaco!!! Will definately be back soon.

• Stayed February 2010
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

My friends and myself were pleasantly surprised when we were recommended to stay at Doce Lunas in Jaco Beach, on the central Pacific shores of Costa Rica. Our budget was geared towards middle-comfort accomodations...meaning that the occasional A/C or swimming pool would be a bonus! We were so excited when Brian, the friendly and worldly general manager of Doce Lunas showed us our rooms, or shall we say suites, with bathtubs, minifridges, and really better rooms then most expensive franchise-hotels.
The swimming pool is luxurious, and the service is attentive, bi-lingual, and well-trained.
Needless to say that one night turned into four, and we cannot wait to go back to this beautiful oasis. Bravo!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Washington D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

Doce Lunas is a little slice heaven. (From an atheist, that's saying something...) This luxurious, secure, gorgeous property is a great place to get away and relax. Very beautiful and tranquil, easy to get to, not far off the beaten path south of San Jose, just an easy, extremely scenic two-ish hour drive to this gorgeous, peaceful place. The grounds are landscaped with indigenous flora, you can watch scarlet macaws at sunset going to roust. The rooms are impeccably clean and quiet. You'll not even know that someone else is staying there. Enjoy the covered outdoor restaurant and candle light meals. Sun during the day or have a yoga class with the top notch staff. I can't say enough about how pleasant and relaxing out stay was at Doce Lunas. We spent many a night enjoying a cold cocktail and the surroundings outside our bungalow. If you want a great time in a beautiful place, this is it! And if you have the pleasure of bumping into the owner, he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and has some great stories. You can't go wrong. If you happen to also enjoy cats, you can also make friends with some of the ones that live at the resort and come by to visit from time to time, wonderfully care for by the staff.
We really enjoyed our stay at Doce Lunas and are really looking forward to going back during our next trip to Costa Rica. Go!!! :)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!