“Beautiful grounds, clean rooms” 3 of 5 stars

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Quebrada Seca | 400 M Este from Costanera, Jaco 4132, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
nyc
“Beautiful grounds, clean rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

If you want to go to Jaco and have a car, this is a good choice. Disappointed in the pool area but the landscaping was done very well. The visiting chef from NYC made an excellent vegetarian meal for my husband.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Oakland, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Report from Jaco, Costa Rica

One of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed anywhere is Docelunas in Jaco, Costa Rica. It’s totally unassuming as you drive up but once you enter the grounds you are swept away into a world of delight. The grounds are gorgeous, flowers abounding everywhere, beautiful birds cruising through daily. The pool has a tiled sunburst on the bottom and a sweet little waterfall you can sit behind and wash away your troubles, if you still have any after arriving.
The rooms are beautiful. Original art work in all the rooms all tastefully decorated and super comfortable and clean with plenty of hot water.
The staff was kind and courteous. The owner, Chris is the coolest guy ever, who we spent time with around the bar eating, drinking and laughing. Did I mention that the food is outstanding? I had the best meal in all of Costa Rica there.
There is a lot to do in the surrounding area if you get tired of lounging around or doing yoga at the hotel.
What can I say more except if you are going to Jaco, you MUST stay at Docelunas.

• Stayed February 2010
Washington D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Doce Lunas resort and spa over Halloween weekend of 2009, and it was a blast. The resort is nestled on a quiet hillside and was absolutely beautiful. There was a masseuse there, great food and drink, and a very hard working staff who made sure our stay was perfect. My girlfriend loves Halloween and heard about how great it is to be in Jaco for the festivities, but we never imagined the resort itself went all out themselves. They turned the grounds into a haunted house walk through that many of the locals came to venture through, there was a great band from the states that played through the night, and an artist who painted the party as it happened. The staff was great and for as hard as they worked, barely made a sound. I cannot say enough about that pool either, except for you have to see it for yourself....so relaxing!! When we were'nt being pampered we ventured out to the local shops and eateries that were only minutes away. We cannot wait to go back down again and visit Jaco..... Doce Lunas, here we come!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I visited Costa Rica last week for a Bikram Yoga Retreat and was BLOWN AWAY by the experience I had at this hotel. It truly exceeded my expectations in every way. The staff is so friendly and helpful, the rooms were huge and nicer than expected, and the pool is fantastic. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept - like a gorgeous botanical garden. The yoga room is set up high with a nice view of the grounds, it is very nice and clean and perfect for yoga - Bikram, hatha, vinyasa, or whatever style you prefer. The hotel was quiet and serene - perfect for a peaceful gettaway. Dee, the yoga instructor and retreat organizer, is wonderful and a true pleasure to work with - she gave fantastic advice and did a great job organizing our retreat and excursions. Brian, the manager, is incredibly helpful and hospitable - going out of his way to make sure my group had everything we needed for an enjoyable stay. The Chef was amazing - our meals were healthy with the freshest ingredients, fine dining quality, and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Doce Lunas Hotel and staff were amazing! The moment we arrived we were catered too and made sure that our needs were attended too. We were traveling with two young children and extended family. The resort is a wonderful size for families with young children as it is not overwhelming, beautiful grounds that made you feel in the rainforest and the most beautiful yoga studio overlooking the tree tops! The yoga instructor had a beautiful heart and her class greatly added to our experience. The pool is gorgeous and is extremely toddler friendly. The rooms were beautifully decorated by the beauty of nature, great size for families and extremely clean. The food was so fresh and delicious that we looked forward to each meal. The kitchen staff would make everything from scratch with local foods and make anything 4 hungry children under 6 yrs. desired (what a treat for parents!). The staff was so polite and eager to make our stay exceptional....they made our trip so easy with children - Mom and Dad was able to relax!!! It was refreshing to stay in an authentic Costa Rican hotel that was stripped down of a lot of Americanization (gift shops and tall buildings) instead we were surrounded more by the beauty of the country and the people of Costa Rica.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

One of the nicest hotels you will find in Costa Rica. 20 spacious and tastefully decorated rooms, all set in beautiful gardens connected to a jungle in the back of the property. It has a beautiful pool, complete with waterfall, surrounded by exotic plants and big old-growth trees. A spa and yoga center offer everything you need to find your internal balance and feel young and healthy. Only a few kilometers away from downtown Jaco and the beach, with their never ending parties, loud bars and restaurants, Doce Lunas offers the greatest relaxed night sleep in a cool, comfortable room located in a natural setting you cannot find in any other hotel in this area.
Great restaurant, great food and a friendly staff - this is definitely a place you want to spend your vacation.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I read some of the reviews on tripadvisor so I was expecting a very nice place, but even so, I was amazed by this beautiful hotel. That other reviewer could not have said it better - five stars is not enough! I have stayed in places twice as expensive that weren't as nice.

The rooms are spacious and clean with high ceilings and beautiful woodwork, lots of electrical outlets in the rooms and wifi throughout the hotel. The owner and the staff are super friendly and full of good advice about the area. Even the Westin hotel in Puerto Vallarta which is double the price of this place did not have as good service. They really understand the expectations of U.S. travelers in a way that very few other places do.

One of the big surprises was how lovely and natural the inner compound was - incredible flowers, big old trees with above ground root structures that look like cathedrals. In the back it connects directly to the jungle and the bartender says he sees animals often. And its big - only 20 rooms but its about the size of two football fields, so the rooms feel very private.

At first I was a little hesitant to choose to be a mile off the beach, but the reviews convinced me and I am glad. It was easy and quick to grab a cab downtown and I could have easily walked too. The downtown/beach area is fun to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. For one thing, it gets pretty hot. DoceLunas is only a mile from the beach, but there is a big mountain right behind the hotel and lots of trees that provide shade. I would guess it was a full 10 degrees cooler than downtown at midday. I was sweating buckets downtown, but I was comfortable in the shade at the hotel. Downtown the nightlife scene is pretty fun, but also a little loud and sometimes unsavory, so it was nice to come back to my quiet retreat afterwards. There is one nice hotel on the south end of the beach, but the rooms are only about 50 feet from the highway so I could see there would be a lot of truck noise.

The pool has an incredible mosaic and a cave with a waterfall that you can stand under and get a powerful water massage. The bar was pretty low key, but its a really nice relaxing place and the owner, manager and bartender and the other guests were all very interesting people to talk to.

I am thinking of coming back in a few weeks so I looked around Jaco a little at the other hotels I had considered. If you are looking for service quality, value, convenience, and comfort in Jaco, DoceLunas is definitely your best bet.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!