“An oasis in the country” 5 of 5 stars

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Quebrada Seca | 400 M Este from Costanera, Jaco 4132, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Massachusetts
“An oasis in the country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

The 12 Moons experience was a breath of fresh air and revitalization. Imagine staying in a pristine setting with immaculate accommodations, (big rooms, A/c, beautiful tile, huga bathrooms) fresh food, a beautiful thatched roof bar and restaurant, friendly staff and on-site yoga studio and spa, not to mention the sweat lodge. The afternoon overflight of scarlet macaws adds to the the real world experience. We had a blast, whether it was lounging by the pool, walking into town or taking part in the twice daily bikram yoga classes. The staff is well connected with the local tour scene and very helpful in planning day trips. The fresh fruit and fish was other worldly and the prices here are beyond reasonable for the level of accommodation and privacy. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
ManagerofDoceLunas, Manager at DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Thanks for the great review. I am glad you caught the sweat lodge in action. It was built by a man named gathering hawk, who is certified by a Haida medicine man to lead sweats. Currently it is not up, but anyone who is interested can contact us to check when it will be available.

Thanks for mentioning the macaws too! Many of our guests also see mammals like pizote, kinkajou, and anteateres but we havent seen any reviews mentioning them yet.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Great staff.. beautiful rooms.. . immaculate grounds with large swimming pool...never ate in the restaurant..hence, no comment...would certainly stay here again....highly recommended ...
Brian at the desk was fantastic...went out of his way for us with no prompting on our part..Power outages in Jaco beach apparently are common..they don't last long....bring small flashlites...otherwise enjoy.....

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review. We are glad you had a good stay. If you have the time, please send us an email and let us know what we can do to be excellent instead of just very good.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We went to Doce Lunes for Halloween. There was a Halloween event for the local children that the staff and guests got involved in, if you chose to do so. The adult party was off the hook! A band from the US called, Midnight Spaghetti & the Chocolate G-Strings performed many hours, It was some good funk!

Doce Lunes is up the hill from the main tourist area, which we liked. Getting a cab was pretty easy to and from the hotel. The food at the restaurant was really good and the bartenders took care of you. The staff was great except for the manager. He was wound a little tight and wasn't always friendly,

Our room was big and was decorated nicely. We could look out into the courtyard and see awesome vegetation and beautiful birds. We were able to go swimming whenever we wanted and felt very comfortable in the surroundings

We came. We partied. We danced. We did touristy things and we partied some more. We can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

I traveled to Costa Rica in January from San Diego CA. I arrived at Doce Lunas from the airport via a chauffeured 4-wheel drive vehicle. The driver pointed out highlights of the beautiful countryside; the coffee plants growing mountainside and lake-dwelling crocodiles. I got to the resort a few hours before my sister & brother-in-law.

After strolling the verdant grounds, taking in the gorgeous architecture and plant-life I met the owner, the manager and very friendly, attentive wait staff at the bar.

After only a couple of times at the on-site restaurant and bar, the staff knew my dining and drinking preferences. Being a vegetarian, I frequently encounter challenges with meals when traveling, the Doce Lunas chefs created lots of delicious local fruit and vegetable dishes for me. My favorite local beer and fresh guacamole awaited me each time I frequented the bar.

The spa and pool areas were superb. I enjoyed a wonderful massage and afterwards relaxed poolside with a cool beverage and a book. I began my days with a session in the yoga studio, overlooking the grounds. Then headed for breakfast and delicious coffee.

My corner room overlooking the pool was spacious and extremely comfortable. I enjoyed having windows and doors open to the tropical air. The bathroom was large and equipped with spa-grade natural products.

We participated in many outdoor activities, arranged for by the helpful staff. Doce Lunas is located very conveniently to town, the beach, and for day trips to Manuel Antonio and other ecological sites. I got in an early morning surf session and was able to meet my sister and brother-in-law for lunch before an afternoon/evening on the town.

I highly recommend Doce Lunas. I anxiously await my next visit.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
Owings MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Upon arrival the driver sent by Doce Lunas was wating for us. He was a terrific guide as we drove through the country pointing out many sites. We even stopped on a bridge famous for overlooking a large family of alligators. He answered all our questions about his country.

When we drove into the resort compound we were overtaken by the sheer beauty. I felt like I was in an adult version of Charlie's chocolate factory. The landscaping was perfect! And the scent of fragrant flowers filled the air.

When we pulled up to the front desk we were greeted by both they manager and the owner. Mr. [--], the owner, introduced himself and said he had just left my sister at the bar. She had arrived earlier. He walked with us too meet her for a drink while our bags were brought to our room.

The staff learned I loved Soursop so they made sure when ever I entered the restaurant/bar a fresh drink was prepared from me. We ate most meals at the on-site restaurant. My sister, a Vegetarian, was impressed by the Chef's versatility. He often provided us with "off" menu items once he learned our tastes. Every meal was fresh and tasty. My husband is a big foodie and to please him is difficult. Yet each meal was terrific. My favorite was the fried plantains, which i have not been able to find anything even close in taste to since then. It was like having our own private chef!

That first night was to set the tone for our wonderful stay. The rooms, ours and my sister's, were incredibly spacious and clean. We did not see any of the bugs/spider some other posters noted. As a matter of fact we were struck by the cleanliness of the resort given it's location. The rooms also provided all the modern conveniences: We could watch cable tv and plug in our Ipods. The in-room coffee maker provided us with fresh local coffee. My sister's favorite way to start her morning! An in-room safe was also provided. But the best part of our nights were sitting outside with everyone and just enjoying the warm air and star filled sky.

The first day we met other families by the beautiful pool. Everyone was friendly and relaxed. It felt like we were all one large group of friends having drinks and sharing information on local activities. Mr. [--] provided us with a list of activities they could arrange and all the insider information required to get the most out of our stay. We took advantage of most of them including meeting Mr. [--] in Jaco for a tour and lunch one day. Walking around the town was amazing as everyone knew Mr. [--] and would shout Ola as we passed. By the end of our week there, many of the towns people recognized us as well and would call us by name.

We travel alot and this was the fasted we have ever been welcomed into a community. Most hi-end resorts have staff who will remember one's name, but a town too! It was an Amazing experience.

My sister and I enjoyed doing Yoga in the huge studio which has incredible views. We also all took advantage of the spa getting massages and treatments. What a delight!

We would highly recommend Doce Lunas to everyone. It has a professional yet family feel. We even sent our friends there on their Honeymoon and have another friend already booked to take his large family next month.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
washington Dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

All I can say is fantastic! After a week of traveling and hiking, Doce Lunas was the perfect end to our Costa Rican adventure. The owners are embracing and friendly and the staff endlessly helpful. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and the rooms are spacious with awesome bathrooms which huge tubs if you need a relaxing soak. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed at Doce Lunas just in time for the Halloween week and it was fantastic. They always hold their traditional Halloween party and always with a band. Unlike some bar areas that throw the typical wild parties, Doce Lunas had a really fun yet relaxing party that wasn't crowded and above all it was classy. They even had a fun night for the neighborhood kids early that evening. About the hotel, let me tell you, if you stay at this place, you're in for a treat. It's like being in well-kept forest or one big wild garden. It can't get any more Costa Rica than this. The rooms were very nice and spacious and not your typical office looking rooms, not at all. The rooms were like elegant wood cabins and stone. I rate this hotel with five stars except on rooms, only because I think this place should have more rooms. I counted them as 15 the total number of rooms, which probably means that you'll have to make your reservation well in advance during prime season. I've stayed in several hotels, and Doce Lunas is definitely among the top 5, not in price but in quality.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!