“Wish we had more time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“Wish we had more time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Doce Lunas is a hidden gem, a surprisingly serene spot given the reputation of Jaco as a party town. We visited the week of New Year's, and even though the hotel was almost full, it was quiet, and comfortable. The grounds are immaculately kept, lush vegetation, lots of flowers. The pool is super clean. The rooms are larger than any other hotel's we stayed in Costa Rica, and very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was plentiful and varied. The day we were leaving also happened to be our daughter's 5th birthday, and the staff was nice enough to bring her a slice of cheesecake with a candle at breakfast. Nice touch and will be remembered.
I even took advantage of their yoga classes, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of instruction, especially considering that most of the students in the class were tourists.
After having been in about 10 different hotels during our trip, I can easily say this hotel was by far the best. Granted there are more luxurious hotels, but for the price, this is a great, great value. We loved our stay and hope we could come back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Hallandale Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We just returned from taking our House Guest and our Long-Distance Driver to this Hotel
in Jaco for 3 Nights. It is not located in the city of Jaco, but at the end of a long Country type
road across from the main entrance to the City. Safety is not an issue here because the area
where the hotel is located is gated with a gate attendant always on duty to check your status
each and every time you enter the property. There are two very special employees here
that I would like to give special credit to, namely Rafael who serves both as a Bar Tender
at the Wet Bar in the Eclipse Restaurant and also serves breakfast, lunch and dinner on
other days, depending upon his required work schedule. This young man has a wonderful
friendly personality and tries his best to always keep the client happy. In addition there is a
lovely, attractive young lady named Michelle who works part-time at the Reception Desk and
she too, is not only friendly and attentive but goes out of her way to assist in any way she can
in order to keep the Guests well-informed and happy.

The pool at the front entrance area is just exquisite with plenty of seating, a beautiful
Jacuzzi and a gorgeous Waterfall at one end of the pool, plenty of seating with Lounges,
comfortable chairs, tables and chairs with umbrellas where you can avoid the direct sun if
that is your requirement, etc. The Dining Room/Restaurant and the Wet Bar are also
nicely furnished and nicely appointed.

What I would suggest however, is that Management purchase at least one Golf Cart or
something similar or if that is not possible, hire a "Bellman" to transport the Guest's Luggage
to their rooms, as the room we occupied for instance was a very, very, long and tegious
walk from Reception. We were transporting 3 large suitcases, 2 carry-type bags, a Cooler,
Cameras, etc. I myself, have severe Arthritis and use a cane, so needless to say if I didn't
have my husband, our visiting house guest, and our Long-Distance Driver to help with
transferring all of these items to our room, no way could I have remained there. I also
arrange tours and trips for many of my friends and acquaintances from the United States
who want to visit Costa Rica and these are women and their friends from the age of 75
all the way up to 85 years of age and obviously if their rooms were located anywhere near
Room No. 114 where my husband and I stayed, it would be virtually impossible for them to
stay at this hotel. Again, if you are looking for an attractive, "off-the-beaten-path" very quiet
place, just to relax and meet some nice people, then this is for you. But again, for the folks
up there in age or with any kind of "moving around" problems, this is definitely not for you,
unless they make some immediate arrangement for aiding the guests with their luggage
and transportation to and from the Bar and Restaurant areas, or even down to the Pool,
unless you are right next to one of these places. Also, these Senior types would also need
to take a Taxi into Jaco itself unless they had a rental car with them or a private driver, as we
did.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Grounds well kept, fragrance of flowers fills the air. Upgraded to a suite as they were not booked up, was very nice and spacious with a patio for outdoor sitting. Owner Chris always on grounds if anything needed, staff friendly and courteous. Taxi ride to Jaco $3-$4.00 or rent a car , I did both. It's 5 min to Jaco or Hermosa Beach, 90 min to Manuel Antonio, 15 min to Vila Calitas for sunset drinks. Breakfast included more than adequate with eggs and fresh fruit, pool and jacuzzi are clean and refreshing , waterfall a nice touch, would stay again, fourth trip to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Upgrade to suite if possible. All teak furniture, comfortable beds , sitting area, flat screen TV, h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ijamsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I hate to travel. I have a bad "vacation" history, so taking my long deserving wife to Costa Rico to watch birds was way out of my comfort zone. Docelunas is really a hotel in a nature preserve. Everything went right! The room was beautiful. The food was very good. If you go fishing, they will prepare your catch…fresh maui ceviche…to die for. Everything was well done. I felt pampered.
There was a genuine concern that I have a wonderful, safe, time. It was a very personal type of service. If it was determined we would be out the door before breakfast, they would make up a breakfast to go for us. We didn't have to ask for this. It was just done. If this is your first trip of this nature, you can not do wrong at Docelunas. It's a jewel, and we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms 111 and 112 are under a huge Banyan tree, always shady and private.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Best rooms
Best Location
Friendly Staff
5 minute walk into town

This is my 4th time visiting Costa Rica and I always make my way to this wonderful Hotel! I have stayed in many areas and hotels in Costa Rica and this is by far my favorite place to stay and eat.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I had the time of my life at Docelunas in Jaco, Costa Rica! I didn't want to leave. Once you enter the gate to Docelunas you feel you have entered a state of tranquility. The staff was very friendly & helpful. My room was huge and exceedingly comfortable. The pool was outstanding, a work of art all in itself. It was a short walk to downtown Jaco but the cabs came within 5 minutes if I needed one. Outstanding yoga room, too! I am glad to be back home in the US but my heart aches for the serenity of Docelunas.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a nice place away from the craziness of Jaco Beach but still within easy access. It's a 2-3000 C cab ride ($4-5) downtown and it's easy to get a ride at all hours of the night (we stayed up super late and had no problems). The rooms are beautiful and the grounds are landscaped beautifully with tons of native foliage. The staff was very helpful with our booking and travel arrangements, etc.. and getting back to San Jose as this was the last night of our trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!