“A hidden gem in the jungle in Jaco” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Jaco, Costa Rica
“A hidden gem in the jungle in Jaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

As someone who lives in Jaco and who has traveled all over the world for the last 25 years, I am glad I found Doce Lunas. It is a study in contrasts. On one side it is in Jaco, a great surf town with a lively nightlife. On another side, once you go through the large metal gates at the entrance you are transported to a magical hotel in the Costa Rican jungle. Chris, the owner and his staff do a great job and I always make it up there for their Friday happy hours as it allows folks to enjoy friends, bocas and cocktails while listening to nothing but the sound of the jungle.

I have introduced many out of town friends to Doce Lunas and have suggested to folks coming down. As a matter of fact, a friend from NYC is coming to Jaco for his 50th birthday next year. The hotel he found (and booked) on his own? Yep, Doce Lunas.

In todays "build everywhere" world, it is refreshing to find a hidden gem like Doce Lunas.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side border on nothing but miles and miles of fields, allowing nothing but peace...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The things that make Docelunas unique are the beautiful grounds, and the location. It is a short walk, bicycle, or taxi ride to the beach, or the center of Jaco...But when you arrive on the property, you are actually in a completely private, secure environment. The property sits at the base of a large, green, rainforest mountain. The temperature is always nice there, even when it is broiling in town and on the beach. Even though Jaco, and the beach are within a mile or so, there is a possibility that you might not even want to leave the property. Like I said, its super private and secure, and you might just find yourself sitting and relaxing by the large swimming pool, and walking the grounds to view the flora and fauna. They have one of the best Friday Happy Hours in Jaco. I go there regularly. You can get a beer and a boca (a small portion of delicious food from their restaurant) for 1000CRC...That's 2.00USD...After 4 beers and 4 bocas, I am usually quite full. Chris and Diana are awesome people and will bend over backwards to make your stay as close to perfect as possible. Brian and the rest of the staff are always incredibly kind, and all are concerned with providing the best service. They really go the extra mile. Keep your eye on this place. I'm sure you will hear more good things in the future. Thanx guys!!! I will see ya on Friday!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had such an amazing time at Docelunas two years ago we had to come back again for my birthday. Unfortunately it was a shorter trip this time, (as there wasn't a zero at the end of my age this birthday) But we still had an amazing time. We can't say enough about Docelunas the grounds are amazing the food is incredible and the manager Brian was the most helpful person during our trip, he set up all of our activities, tours, cabs into town, restaurant and club recommendations . Every recommendation he gave us was spot on thank you Brian we look forward to staying with you guys again next time!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Well we went with one of the biggest rooms. room number 19 to be specific. We need a king bed . It...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have traveled to many places and stayed in many hotels and this one is by far the worst I've been to in way of customer service and cleanliness. We are frequent travelers and have several hotel memberships. When we arrived into our hotel room, at first it looked decent, but then we noticed roach on the bed and eggs on the bedspread. The room also smelled like it had been sprayed with pesticide.

We thought well ok, this does happen and felt we could stay the night. Then I saw some other bugs including a spider, my lady said that's enough. The bed stand lamp was broken as well and the TV channels were of poor quality. The odor of the room was getting to us and we decided to leave. This was later that evening and there was no one working at the front desk (past 9 PM). There were Security guys there though which was a plus. We're accustomed to at least someone being at the front desk though in case of need. The Security guys barely spoke English.

The next day we came back and spoke with Brian the Manager. When we tried to explain what happened, he became very angry and would not listen at all. He acted very insulted by our comments. We were not being irate about the issues, just trying to explain so he could know what to do to prevent this from happening again to other guests. He wouldn't let us finish and was hostile to the fact the we brought up the bug situation. We had to calm ourselves down (my blood pressure was rising) and we were stunned by his behavior. I have never in 20+ years of traveling been so insulted by a Hotel Manager. If I was the owner, I would seriously consider firing him. Very unprofessional.

He did settle with us on the no charge for the stay and we paid for the dinner which was good (to their credit). The outside areas and pool was nice, also to their credit.

Again though, we will never return and would highly recommend finding another hotel in the area. We did find one that was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
solana beach ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I just returned from 4 nights at Docelunas. My experience was incredible and we received the best personal service from co-owner Brian Sam. I traveled with my 88yr old father and his wheelchair and my Aunt. Due to my dad's limited mobility we required special trip planning. From the minute I emailed Brian, he called me and set up a trip that would fit our needs. The room and grounds were beautiful and perfect for the wheelchair. He picked us up late at night at the airport and then drove us around for the next 4 days! We were able to relax and truly feel like we were on vacation. The rooms were spacious and fit 3 beds comfortable. The pool water was so clean and the drinking water was delicious. Each night we ate the freshest fish, salad and fruit at the open air restaurant. We had special dietary restrictions and they were easily able to accommodate. The hotel even hosts the local kids for a Halloween party and we joined in the fun. A cluster of butterflys surrounded our room each morning. On our trip we saw Crocs, birds, monkeys, licking toads, cutting ants , sloughs, etc. Also, we took great yoga classes in their studio on property. The staff was kind and helpful. But the best was Brian's personal attention to detail and his high level of quality service and professionalism. He even woke up at 530am to drive us to see the Turtle hatching in Jaco. I am looking forward to returning.....

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a return guest at Doce Lunas and the reasons are that it has everything that I need and still delights.
Jaco is fun to visit and shop, go to the beach, see attractions but the best base is five minutes from the town center at Doce Lunas where you have the stunning grounds and amazing pool.
The rooms are big and the bathrooms clean and spacious.
The restaurant busts out great meals and I really feel like I am in a tropical paradise.
Love the place.
Oh, they have a cool yoga studio too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I just spent the night at the DoceLunas near Jaco. What a delight to stay here! The grounds are beautiful, serene and relaxing. When we got here they upgraded us to a larger suite with a king bed. The room is spacious and very comfortable!
Even though we were one of two guests staying here, they kept the restaurant open for us. The food was amazing. The staff here are very courteous and go out of their way to assist you. The owner Brian came over and introduced himself and was very gracious in talking to us about the area.
We will stay here again. Try it. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!