“One hotel to avoid for US Citizens” 1 of 5 stars

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Quebrada Seca | 400 M Este from Costanera, Jaco 4132, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
Dallas, Texas
“One hotel to avoid for US Citizens”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have traveled to many places and stayed in many hotels and this one is by far the worst I've been to in way of customer service and cleanliness. We are frequent travelers and have several hotel memberships. When we arrived into our hotel room, at first it looked decent, but then we noticed roach on the bed and eggs on the bedspread. The room also smelled like it had been sprayed with pesticide.

We thought well ok, this does happen and felt we could stay the night. Then I saw some other bugs including a spider, my lady said that's enough. The bed stand lamp was broken as well and the TV channels were of poor quality. The odor of the room was getting to us and we decided to leave. This was later that evening and there was no one working at the front desk (past 9 PM). There were Security guys there though which was a plus. We're accustomed to at least someone being at the front desk though in case of need. The Security guys barely spoke English.

The next day we came back and spoke with Brian the Manager. When we tried to explain what happened, he became very angry and would not listen at all. He acted very insulted by our comments. We were not being irate about the issues, just trying to explain so he could know what to do to prevent this from happening again to other guests. He wouldn't let us finish and was hostile to the fact the we brought up the bug situation. We had to calm ourselves down (my blood pressure was rising) and we were stunned by his behavior. I have never in 20+ years of traveling been so insulted by a Hotel Manager. If I was the owner, I would seriously consider firing him. Very unprofessional.

He did settle with us on the no charge for the stay and we paid for the dinner which was good (to their credit). The outside areas and pool was nice, also to their credit.

Again though, we will never return and would highly recommend finding another hotel in the area. We did find one that was outstanding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
solana beach ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I just returned from 4 nights at Docelunas. My experience was incredible and we received the best personal service from co-owner Brian Sam. I traveled with my 88yr old father and his wheelchair and my Aunt. Due to my dad's limited mobility we required special trip planning. From the minute I emailed Brian, he called me and set up a trip that would fit our needs. The room and grounds were beautiful and perfect for the wheelchair. He picked us up late at night at the airport and then drove us around for the next 4 days! We were able to relax and truly feel like we were on vacation. The rooms were spacious and fit 3 beds comfortable. The pool water was so clean and the drinking water was delicious. Each night we ate the freshest fish, salad and fruit at the open air restaurant. We had special dietary restrictions and they were easily able to accommodate. The hotel even hosts the local kids for a Halloween party and we joined in the fun. A cluster of butterflys surrounded our room each morning. On our trip we saw Crocs, birds, monkeys, licking toads, cutting ants , sloughs, etc. Also, we took great yoga classes in their studio on property. The staff was kind and helpful. But the best was Brian's personal attention to detail and his high level of quality service and professionalism. He even woke up at 530am to drive us to see the Turtle hatching in Jaco. I am looking forward to returning.....

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a return guest at Doce Lunas and the reasons are that it has everything that I need and still delights.
Jaco is fun to visit and shop, go to the beach, see attractions but the best base is five minutes from the town center at Doce Lunas where you have the stunning grounds and amazing pool.
The rooms are big and the bathrooms clean and spacious.
The restaurant busts out great meals and I really feel like I am in a tropical paradise.
Love the place.
Oh, they have a cool yoga studio too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I just spent the night at the DoceLunas near Jaco. What a delight to stay here! The grounds are beautiful, serene and relaxing. When we got here they upgraded us to a larger suite with a king bed. The room is spacious and very comfortable!
Even though we were one of two guests staying here, they kept the restaurant open for us. The food was amazing. The staff here are very courteous and go out of their way to assist you. The owner Brian came over and introduced himself and was very gracious in talking to us about the area.
We will stay here again. Try it. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Unionville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Doce Lunas was recommended to me by my nephew who has lived in Jaco the past two summers. He said of all the hotels in the area, Doce Lunas has the friendliest staff, most lush courtyard and the best restaurant and bar. His advice was spot on. I stayed four nights at Doce Lunas. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The location is safe, secure and convenient. One morning I walked to the beach, but cab service is excellent in Jaco with vehicles arriving just five minutes after being called. The staff went overboard to welcome me, providing the best service I have ever experienced at a hotel. I highly recommend Doce Lunas to anyone staying in Jaco.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

A tropical haven that is undeniably the BEST hotel and grounds with amazing staff. The rooms and bathrooms are huge. You can sleep so well, nature watch and Jaco is a cheap taxi ride away. About five minutes...I keep coming back because it always delights.

• Stayed September 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Doce Lunas is my favourite thing about coming to Jaco. It is the perfect place to chill out and escape from the madness of town, but near enough to get to it when you need. Brian and Chris are amazing and so accomodating, it really does feel like a home away from home. The pool is beautiful and a perfect place to relax during the day. The rooms and bathrooms are huge and spotlessly clean and the food is delicious. It's absolute luxury but at an affordable price! The nicest place to stay in Jaco by far!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!