“Wouldn't go back.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa

You added DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa to your Saves list
DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Quebrada Seca | 400 M Este from Costanera, Jaco 4132, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Hawaii
“Wouldn't go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

We emailed the email on the website twice with no response at all. Luckily we met one of the yoga teachers who was able to call and book a room for us 2 days before we were ready to go there.

The resort is gated and well secured. The property is maintained perfectly! It's a beautiful property with lush landscaping. The pool is very clean and lots of chairs for lounging with a couple of tables for shade. The pool is about 4 feet deep for the whole length of the pool. It was fine for taking a dip and my husband used it to swim laps.

The restaurant was not good. The food was ok at best. The chicken was very dry. It's not worth the price that they charge. The main problem is that the customer service at the restaurant was VERY poor. I had to ask for a water refill 3 times before I got one. I The waitress would stand there and wait for you to order which was a bit annoying. We asked for pizza at dinner and got told that "you can only order that at lunch", however someone was sitting there eating a pizza that they said they ordered 10 mins before!

They say they have a "hot water on demand" system that is eco safe which sounds fabulous. Problem was that for 7 nights/days we had hot water for 5 mins out of the ENTIRE staff. I couldn't even shave my legs because the water was ice cold in the shower. We talked to the front desk several times, they sent someone to look at it once and said "it's fixed" but it wasn't. We told them again and they ignored it.

The room was clean and there was an ipod player which was nice. There were TONS of bugs though and my husband killed about 100 little bugs each night. Not to mention all of the giant beatles that were in our room. Our remote control wouldn't work and we took it to the office 4 times to try to correct it. Needless to say, we ended up asking a housekeeper to see if she could figure out the problem. She was able to discover that they had given us the wrong remote for the TV that was in our room. There was a safe in the room but no one gave us the code or told us how to use it, even after we were asked.

Overall, I would NOT recommend this place for the price that they charge!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerofDoceLunas, Manager at DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Thanks for the comments and thanks for the compliment on the pool and grounds and clean room and ipod player ! Thanks also for your constructive criticism. I assure you that your experience here was unusual, but just because its not typical doesn't mean we dont have something to learn from your comments.

Overall, your complaints were mostly about service quality and its good to have customer opinions about that. We strive for the highest level of service and aim to satisfy everyone. As you can see from the other reviews we usually succeed, but here we fell so short of the mark its almost hard to believe its the same hotel. I apologize sincerely that your visit was handled so poorly.

Regarding bugs: In June of 2008 we re-caulked windows in three rooms where the wood had warped away from the beautiful clerestory windows in the 15 ft high peaked ceiling of the units. Bugs had entered through these cracks, attracted by the lights in the room. We have sweepers on the bottom of our door and our rooms are close to airtight, so even though we are in the jungle, bugs in the rooms are rare.

We do exterminate occasionally, but as little as possible for the health of our guests and the planet.

Sorry you had trouble reaching us. We had service problems and have changed website vendors.

Regarding the restaurant, we have a new policy to resolve problems like you encountered and I am sorry the situation was not handled better .Our new chef arrived later than expected and we relied a cook for three nights. If I had been there, I would have comped you some food or helped you select a restaurant in town and arrange delivery if desired and I am sorry the staff did not do that.

My manager and I have resolved to that if we ever find ourselves in between chefs from the culinary institute of america, our normal source of chef staff, and the clients are disappointed, we will make sure to make them happy again.

I am also sorry you got poor service in the restaurant and I am also surprised. I have no explanation as to why most of our guests our so impressed with our service but you had such a bad experience.

I am sorry your problem with the remote and the safe information was handled poorly. Our regular receptionist was out at this time, so most guests would not have this experience. Also, all our remotes now work in all the rooms.

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for taking the time to include those great compliments in your constructive criticism. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to encourage you to give us another try!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

Docelunas is the center of the universe! Staff stole my heart with their smiles and services. I hope stay at Docelunas resort again next time I come to Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

We stayed at Docelunas on the recommendation of someone else who had seen it. The rooms were clean, spacious and beds comfortable. The pool is sparkling and perfect for floating around, but it is no deeper than 4' anyhere. For the prices they charge, I felt like they needed to do a few things differently. first, Better signage on the approach. When you turn off the main road for the first time, you will wonder if you are in the right place. You drive through about 1/2 mile of dirt road and very poor housing...don't come after dark for the first time! The hotel is gated with security. If you have been to Costa Rica before, this contrast becomes normal. Food was nothing special eat someplace else.

Gardens are pretty. Trees are tall and drop branches and things noisily on the roof. The wood furniture in the room was beautiful, simple, elegant. Beds comfy. Two beautifully handcrafted Adirondack style chairs and a table outside on a small private porch made sitting outside pleasant. They were a bit stingy with glasses in the room, our room key didn't work well...but they fixed that. The biggest complaint was the noises the roof made whever something dropped on it...which was constantly. It sounded like bricks hitting a tin roof. It was corrugated steel!

Minor complaints...I think it was a bit pricey. There are other places.

• Stayed March 2006
Thanks for all the compliments and the constructive criticism.

We have trimmed all the trees in the hotel that occasionally dropped fruit (or branches!) on the roofs, so our future guests will benefit from your suggestion. No more bumps in the night! I am going to post a picture on our blog tonight of our guys using the safety equipment we purchased in the U.S. to do their tree work.

We fixed the sign on the highway so that the light is on at night. (The convenience store used to turn it off.)

The blog also has some photos of our very pretty, nice neighborhood, and we aren't going to apologize for our neighbors. They are not rich (except for the fancy condo across the way) but they are good neighbors and they maintain their flower lined properties with pride.

I am sorry if you were denied glasses. Our staff has been instructed to let guests take as many glasses as they want to their room. Normally we put out two water glasses and two tumblers with an ice bucket.

As for our prices, we are half the price of the next cheapest four star hotel, so we can't really improve much there.

Since 2006 we have started higher chefs from the Culinary Institute of America. We hope you will come back and try the new restaurant and our newly quieter rooms now that we have trimmed the trees.

Thanks!
Brian
washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

My experience with the Docelunas hotel, near Jaco beach, was absolutely wonderful. The room was sparklingly clean, spacious and full of luxurious touches (e.g., fluffy towels; super comfortable bed; fantastic stereo/mp3 player; fresh local flowers; and a fully stocked mini-bar). The staff was accomodating and bent over backwards to make my visit enjoyable. No request went unanswered and the kitchen staff willingly prepared off-menu veggie selections. The yoga studio and teachers were simply fantasic. I recommend Docelunas highly - a quite, breathtaking retreat a mere $2 taxi ride from the hustle and bustle of downtown Jaco.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!