“Amazing secluded paradise on the edge of Jaco” 5 of 5 stars

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Quebrada Seca | 400 M Este from Costanera, Jaco 4132, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 42 hotels in Jaco
Portland, Oregon
“Amazing secluded paradise on the edge of Jaco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Doce Lunas was so wonderful that I can't say enough good things about my stay there. As other reviewers have noted, it's just on the edge of Jaco, which means great access to almost anything you could want to do. When you're on the grounds though, it feels like you could be miles deep in the middle of nowhere.

I was there with some fiends and coworkers in August, so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. The rainy season kept us in the restaurant for a good chunk of our stay and I'd be doing both the hotel and readers a disservice if I didn't mention how sublime the food is. I truly didn't expect that when we flew down. I'm a vegetarian and the staff went out of their way to make sure that I was happy.

To the staff and management at Doce Lunas: Thanks for a great stay...see you again sooner than later I hope!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I should start by saying that neither my husband nor I are huge fans of Jaco. But we needed someplace that wasn't too far from the San Jose airport. So my husband found DoceLunas and we thought we'd give it a go. The hotel was great. We're still not huge fans of Jaco.

What I loved about DoceLunas is that it's just on the outskirts of town. We felt like we had our own little piece of paradise. It's not on the beach. But it's verdant, lush and the pool is beautiful. You can hear birds all day. And we even saw a snake (boa constrictor) at night in the parking lot. Not going to lie, that actually freaked me out. But what can you do? You're in Costa Rica.

The hotel is also within walking distance to town. It took us maybe 10 minutes to walk to Jaco. Or just a quick cab ride.

The food was great. We ate there for most meals. My husband had a steak with coffee sauce there that he still talks about. And apart from one server who wasn't overly friendly, everyone at the restaurant was great. We really enjoyed chatting with our servers. They were always coming by to see if we needed anything. The front desk was incredibly helpful as well.

Our room was beautiful and had an amazing patio. It was the first room along the walkway. It seems another reviewer had the same room because I remember the comments about the odd painting of the lady over the bed. I chuckled when I saw it. It's definitely a bizarre picture. We had a lot of space - sitting area, big bathroom and desk area. Maybe a tad dated, though. AC was really nice.

If we ever find ourselves in Jaco again, it will be our go to hotel. And I have no problems recommending it highly.

northern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to the docelunas in February of 2012..we were really looking forward to our stay..but as said in other reviews the place was pretty much empty.the electricity in our bathroom didn't work and I mentioned it to management several times to no avail. The bar was a joke ..the people were friendly but it didn't make up for the fact the place is just not what they lead you to believe

• Stayed February 2012
Columbia, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the docelunas for 4 nights, the last two nights we were in Jaco there was not room for us there and one of the managers even found room for us at another local hotel.

The food and drinks were very good. We had a car so it not being right on the beach was not an issue--there is no hotel on the beach we would have rather stayed at because it is a bit of a party town. Regardless it is only a $3 taxi ride to town and the beach.

The hotel booked us some really fun excursions like Tortuga Island and otherwise accommodated us in every way possible.

The staff is very personable and fun and care for their guests.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Docelunas is an excellent hotel. They have a great staff and they treat you like a friend. I have been to this hotel many times over the past few years and I never want to leave. The rooms are spacious with ceiling fans and AC if you want it. The property is beautiful and tranquil, once you settle in and start to appreciate your surroundings you will notice a large variety of tropical plants which produce many scents and fragrances. The town and beach are very close and cabs are cheap, 5 bucks will get you and your friends there and back. The food is excellent, especially lately with the recently hired chef. During my stay I mentioned to the staff that I will be partying and I may not be back to the hotel until 5:30 am, and I need to have my breakfast served later than normal, and when I went to the restaurant the next day they made me an excellent breakfast with Costa Rican coffee. ¡Que Rico!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We should have known from the moment we arrived. There was no cars in the parking lot. We were greeted at the front desk & taken to our room. The A/C wasn't working, couldn't get the fridge to work, the safe had jammed & the room was suffocated with cheap air freshener. The smell was so over powering we left the door open while we were in the room (hard to sleep when your sinuses are stuffed up from the strong spray)We decided to take a swim in the pool only to find a scorpion in it. We tried to have a shower to wash off the chlorine but there was no hot water at all.... None, not even lukewarm. After 5 trips to the front desk we were completely exhausted of explaining our problems to the front end staff as they didn't seem too interested. We attempted to have breakfast at the deserted restaurant. The day before we were informed we could eat there at 5:30 AM but only to find the staff open it at 7:00 AM. Once we sat down & ordered service took quite some time. We were told that "breakfast is included" only to find out it was one option of the many on the menu. We thought we would splurge & order a more substantial one as we would be traveling all day. Unreal, the food eventually came out & it was stone cold (the entire plate). We noticed the table beside us asked for tea & they had run out? At that point we had enough... We left the inedible food & left the hotel. Completely disappointed! The hotel was understaffed, void of management & worthy of a hostel price not the price of a high end hotel. I would hope they would take this review as a sign to improve their overall service.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you are going to Costa Rica, there is only one option, in my opinion of where to stay-Docelunas. My husband and I traveled to Jaco, Costa Rica for our honeymoon, seeking adventure, a private getaway, and breathtaking scenery. We found all of this and more from our location. At the base of a mountain, Docelunas offered us a quiet retreat, gated and secured by staff, allowing us to walk along the scenic grounds and swim in the pool, complete with a waterfall at any time of the day. The VIP room was large and spacious, and I swear I slept better there than in my own bed. Since we were there in rainy season, I grew accustomed to the nightly rains. The sounds that fill the resort are exactly like a meditation CD of the rainforest. I miss the sounds the most. And if you are into meditation, the onsite free Yoga is held in a raised fortress, overlooking the property.
What impressed us the most is how Docelunas gives you a personal experience, tailoring every detail of your trip to what you want. They serve as coordinators, planning and executing each excursion and ensuring that you deal only with reputable tours. From ziplining, to waterfall repelling, horseback riding, and picnics on the beach Docelunas planned our details from start to finish, including transportation, payment, items needed, lunches and meals as needed, reservations, and quality service from each vendor. In a town that offers so much, we felt more safe and comfortable when Docelunas stood behind a tour, as we hung from Waterfalls, hiked up mountains, and ziplined down cables. THIS ALONE, was an extreme benefit of staying at the resort, in which staff embark on tours to ensure their quality.
Staff and management took time to personally get to know us, offering a variety of options suited to our taste. One of our favorite tailored activities, was a private dinner, served by Docelunas’ chef that included 5 courses selected based on our personal tastes. This is a must if you stay at the resort. The food was amazing! AND that is an understatement. In our 10 day stay, we only ate in the town twice, because we became addicted to the fantastic flavors and food options offered at the restaurant. It was convenient, fast, and delicious every time. With our busy days, staff had tables set and ready in the morning for a quick breakfast if needed, learning our drinks and even preparing them for a set arrival time! Highly recommend the mixed fruit smoothie…it was our favorite. Our servers became our best friends, offering us greetings every morning, having our favorite dishes and drinks ready to go, and teaching us Spanish!!!
Most importantly, the owner Chris and the manager, Bryan were common company at the restaurant and bar. Their easy accessibility, kindness, and company made nights at Docelunas entertaining, enlightening, and comforting as we sat at the restaurant bar most evenings. This is when most of our plans unfolded, through casual conversations and discussions about Costa Rican customs and adventures.
If you are looking for that getaway that offers beautiful scenery, a safe atmosphere, close contact with staff, and an “ask and you shall receive” attitude, you MUST stay at Docelunas. We truly lived by this motto. We asked and we received. We questioned and we received. We received, and then we received more. On one of our “off and open” days we reserved for a quiet, calm between our adventures, we decided an impromptu outing to the beach. Our server suggested a picnic. He packed one up for us with sandwiches, snacks, and a bottle of wine in the cooler, printed us a map of private beaches, and sent us on our way!
Docelunas is in a prime location, offering quick travel to the biggest adventures in Costa Rica, including ziplining, horseback riding, waterfall repelling, ATV tours, boat tours, national parks, sea turtle tours, beaches, and of course, the town of Jaco. Jaco was alive and booming with souvenir shops, nightlife, and bars and restaurants. A quick 15 minute walk got us into town while others at the resort opted for bike rentals and taxi rides to get to and from town in less than 5 minutes. The beach is absolutely breathtaking and beach side bars offer a relaxing place to toast to the good times. While Jaco is roughly an hour from the airport, the ride is more than worth it, with scenic views of the mountains, valleys, and rainforest covering Costa Rica. You won’t be disappointed.
But if you want to know REALLY the experience you can have at Docelunas in Jaco, Costa Rica…you have to go live it. Writing this review was truly difficult because there will never be words to capture the unforgettable memories my husband and I made on our honeymoon. It was the best start to our marriage and we talk everyday about going back, with intentions of staying nowhere but Docelunas. We made life-long friends with staff and miss every detail of our trip. We should only be so lucky if we could relive the greatest adventure of our lives. And we owe that all to the owner, manager, and wonderful staff at Docelunas Spa and Resort.

Room Tip: The VIP rooms are extremely spacious! Highly recommended and worth the money.