“Honeymoon Adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Honeymoon Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you are going to Costa Rica, there is only one option, in my opinion of where to stay-Docelunas. My husband and I traveled to Jaco, Costa Rica for our honeymoon, seeking adventure, a private getaway, and breathtaking scenery. We found all of this and more from our location. At the base of a mountain, Docelunas offered us a quiet retreat, gated and secured by staff, allowing us to walk along the scenic grounds and swim in the pool, complete with a waterfall at any time of the day. The VIP room was large and spacious, and I swear I slept better there than in my own bed. Since we were there in rainy season, I grew accustomed to the nightly rains. The sounds that fill the resort are exactly like a meditation CD of the rainforest. I miss the sounds the most. And if you are into meditation, the onsite free Yoga is held in a raised fortress, overlooking the property.
What impressed us the most is how Docelunas gives you a personal experience, tailoring every detail of your trip to what you want. They serve as coordinators, planning and executing each excursion and ensuring that you deal only with reputable tours. From ziplining, to waterfall repelling, horseback riding, and picnics on the beach Docelunas planned our details from start to finish, including transportation, payment, items needed, lunches and meals as needed, reservations, and quality service from each vendor. In a town that offers so much, we felt more safe and comfortable when Docelunas stood behind a tour, as we hung from Waterfalls, hiked up mountains, and ziplined down cables. THIS ALONE, was an extreme benefit of staying at the resort, in which staff embark on tours to ensure their quality.
Staff and management took time to personally get to know us, offering a variety of options suited to our taste. One of our favorite tailored activities, was a private dinner, served by Docelunas’ chef that included 5 courses selected based on our personal tastes. This is a must if you stay at the resort. The food was amazing! AND that is an understatement. In our 10 day stay, we only ate in the town twice, because we became addicted to the fantastic flavors and food options offered at the restaurant. It was convenient, fast, and delicious every time. With our busy days, staff had tables set and ready in the morning for a quick breakfast if needed, learning our drinks and even preparing them for a set arrival time! Highly recommend the mixed fruit smoothie…it was our favorite. Our servers became our best friends, offering us greetings every morning, having our favorite dishes and drinks ready to go, and teaching us Spanish!!!
Most importantly, the owner Chris and the manager, Bryan were common company at the restaurant and bar. Their easy accessibility, kindness, and company made nights at Docelunas entertaining, enlightening, and comforting as we sat at the restaurant bar most evenings. This is when most of our plans unfolded, through casual conversations and discussions about Costa Rican customs and adventures.
If you are looking for that getaway that offers beautiful scenery, a safe atmosphere, close contact with staff, and an “ask and you shall receive” attitude, you MUST stay at Docelunas. We truly lived by this motto. We asked and we received. We questioned and we received. We received, and then we received more. On one of our “off and open” days we reserved for a quiet, calm between our adventures, we decided an impromptu outing to the beach. Our server suggested a picnic. He packed one up for us with sandwiches, snacks, and a bottle of wine in the cooler, printed us a map of private beaches, and sent us on our way!
Docelunas is in a prime location, offering quick travel to the biggest adventures in Costa Rica, including ziplining, horseback riding, waterfall repelling, ATV tours, boat tours, national parks, sea turtle tours, beaches, and of course, the town of Jaco. Jaco was alive and booming with souvenir shops, nightlife, and bars and restaurants. A quick 15 minute walk got us into town while others at the resort opted for bike rentals and taxi rides to get to and from town in less than 5 minutes. The beach is absolutely breathtaking and beach side bars offer a relaxing place to toast to the good times. While Jaco is roughly an hour from the airport, the ride is more than worth it, with scenic views of the mountains, valleys, and rainforest covering Costa Rica. You won’t be disappointed.
But if you want to know REALLY the experience you can have at Docelunas in Jaco, Costa Rica…you have to go live it. Writing this review was truly difficult because there will never be words to capture the unforgettable memories my husband and I made on our honeymoon. It was the best start to our marriage and we talk everyday about going back, with intentions of staying nowhere but Docelunas. We made life-long friends with staff and miss every detail of our trip. We should only be so lucky if we could relive the greatest adventure of our lives. And we owe that all to the owner, manager, and wonderful staff at Docelunas Spa and Resort.

Room Tip: The VIP rooms are extremely spacious! Highly recommended and worth the money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We came to this hotel in the beginning of November strictly to relax. The drive up to the hotel was a bit sketchy but as soon as you get to the gate you feel like you are in an oasis. The pool is surrounded by greenery and the grounds are manicured every day.
Brian and Marco really made our stay here very enjoyable. They both went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we were comfortable.
The yoga studio looks amazing. We did get massages which were awesome. The "spa" itself needs some updating but the massage itself was really nice.
We could not get over the quality of the food. We ate at the hotel every night for dinner and every night there were different dinner features so it never got boring.
We brought our two small children (2 and 4) and they were bored after two days. I recommend this place to couples looking to relax.
Thanks again Brian and Marco!
Jamie and Rob

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have just returned from a holiday travelling around Costa Rica and stayed in some wonderful places. This hotel does have lovely gardens and rooms. I was a little disappointed when I arrived as we had a booking for a Family Suite and had been promised an upgrade to a Deluxe Suite. On arrival it was quite late just before 1800hrs and the only person who was on reception was due to leave at 1800hrs. Even so, he was very helpful but after showing us to our room he promply left. There appeared to be nobody else at the hotel except a night person on the gate. I then realised that we had not received the promised upgraded room.I did express my concern the following morning and was offered the room which I had previously been promised. The owner informed me over the phone that he had put us in the standard suite for our convenience as the pathway to the Deluxe Suites were not properly paved due to an earthquake 4 weeks previously and they were not using these rooms. The following evening another couple were staying in the suite next to ours which had the same access so obviously there had been a change in this policy!
Otherwise our stay was enjoyable. This was the only hotel that we stayed in that didn't include a proper breakfast in the rate.We were charged extra to have eggs. The food over the three days was not of a consistent standard as it was different staff on duty in the kitchen. The staff were all very friendly. The highlight of our stay here was a sighting of some Chestnut Mandibled Toucans at the back of the property which was great.So great rooms, location ,gardens,staff, but not so great food and customer service.

Room Tip: Room 19 is very nice also stayed in room 11 which was nice aswell.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Doce Lunes is tucked in its own little corner of the jungle, and is paradise! It is a place of peace and well being. I will always go back! We had a blast with Chris and the staff, can't wait to get back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Ok, so, honestly, this place isn't a 1. I'm just giving it that because there is NO WAY it is a 5, and someone has to balance out the Internet crazies. A 5?! Seriously? You people are nuts.

So: the good. The grounds are nice, albeit a little old and in need of maintenance. The people that we met in staff seemed pleasant enough.

The bad: the place is deserted. It's really, really weird. You arrive and park and there are no cars. No other guests are there. The grounds are empty. There are a few staff people there, but it was kind of like the shining.

We checked in and the staff showed us to our room... The first one, and maybe the only one with furniture? Who is to say? The sidewalk was roped off past out room, so presumably no one needed to walk there.

We enter the room and it seemed ok, mostly clean, with curtains and a bedspread that probably should have been replaced in the mid 80s. On the wall above our bed was a piece of art with ... A dead woman? Maybe? Staring at us with saggy breasts and a little angel face stuck to the side of her head.

Weird.

(though we were told that we could purchase this piece, if we wanted. fyi.)

There was no phone. The wifi was down. It started raining, and as soon as it was dark the place was completely deserted. To be honest, if we hadn't had a car, I don't think my wife and I would have felt safe there.

The bathroom was recently updated, and it was nice enough. There was a giant bug in the sink when I went in let at night, which was odd because I hadn't seen a bug like this before, but he seemed peaceful enough. He didn't try to bite me.

The air conditioner was nuts. It would cycle on and off all night, blowing incredibly cold air for about 30 seconds and then cycling down, noisily. But it did, in fact, keep the room cold.

The next morning, we went to breakfast. No one else was there, except one staff member who we asked to clean off the table, to which he replied "it's hard to keep it clean, with all the bugs and animals that live in this roof". Probably true, but would prefer not to be told.

Pool seemed fine, didn't use it. Grounds were nicely kept.

Overall the experience was just weird. It seemed like an old, abandoned hotel that someone had bought and was allowing people to rent out, but they didn't really want to run a hotel. So they just rent rooms out occasionally, and hope for the best. I feel like the place could be actually nice, but it would require some updating and attention.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Not really sure why this hotel is top ranked in Jaco. We followed trip advisor and went there but left after one day. It's not bad as such but really overpriced for what it is and the service was CLEARLY not up to a top hotels standard; everybody seemed bored and uniterested. On the plus side the pool is actually really nice and the Yoga session (included in the price) was good fun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Paradise in the Jungle! I really love Doce Lunas Resort and have stayed there two times now and am currently looking forward to booking my third trip there to coincide with the Jungle Jam event they host every year. The rooms are very spacious and bathroom are also a nice size. The staff is very friendly and attentive to all my needs. The pool area and grounds are lovely and are immaculately kept up. The landscaper has truly done an amazing job. It is the ultimate spot to get away from it all. I get a total sense of relaxation when I’m there. When I travel I always seek out spa services wherever I go so I am even more pleased that Doce Lunas has their very own spa center on the grounds. In short, of all my travels around the world, Costa Rica and Doce Lunas rank up there among my all-time favorite vacation spots. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!