“Creepy as hell” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Austin, Texas
“Creepy as hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Ok, so, honestly, this place isn't a 1. I'm just giving it that because there is NO WAY it is a 5, and someone has to balance out the Internet crazies. A 5?! Seriously? You people are nuts.

So: the good. The grounds are nice, albeit a little old and in need of maintenance. The people that we met in staff seemed pleasant enough.

The bad: the place is deserted. It's really, really weird. You arrive and park and there are no cars. No other guests are there. The grounds are empty. There are a few staff people there, but it was kind of like the shining.

We checked in and the staff showed us to our room... The first one, and maybe the only one with furniture? Who is to say? The sidewalk was roped off past out room, so presumably no one needed to walk there.

We enter the room and it seemed ok, mostly clean, with curtains and a bedspread that probably should have been replaced in the mid 80s. On the wall above our bed was a piece of art with ... A dead woman? Maybe? Staring at us with saggy breasts and a little angel face stuck to the side of her head.

Weird.

(though we were told that we could purchase this piece, if we wanted. fyi.)

There was no phone. The wifi was down. It started raining, and as soon as it was dark the place was completely deserted. To be honest, if we hadn't had a car, I don't think my wife and I would have felt safe there.

The bathroom was recently updated, and it was nice enough. There was a giant bug in the sink when I went in let at night, which was odd because I hadn't seen a bug like this before, but he seemed peaceful enough. He didn't try to bite me.

The air conditioner was nuts. It would cycle on and off all night, blowing incredibly cold air for about 30 seconds and then cycling down, noisily. But it did, in fact, keep the room cold.

The next morning, we went to breakfast. No one else was there, except one staff member who we asked to clean off the table, to which he replied "it's hard to keep it clean, with all the bugs and animals that live in this roof". Probably true, but would prefer not to be told.

Pool seemed fine, didn't use it. Grounds were nicely kept.

Overall the experience was just weird. It seemed like an old, abandoned hotel that someone had bought and was allowing people to rent out, but they didn't really want to run a hotel. So they just rent rooms out occasionally, and hope for the best. I feel like the place could be actually nice, but it would require some updating and attention.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Not really sure why this hotel is top ranked in Jaco. We followed trip advisor and went there but left after one day. It's not bad as such but really overpriced for what it is and the service was CLEARLY not up to a top hotels standard; everybody seemed bored and uniterested. On the plus side the pool is actually really nice and the Yoga session (included in the price) was good fun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Paradise in the Jungle! I really love Doce Lunas Resort and have stayed there two times now and am currently looking forward to booking my third trip there to coincide with the Jungle Jam event they host every year. The rooms are very spacious and bathroom are also a nice size. The staff is very friendly and attentive to all my needs. The pool area and grounds are lovely and are immaculately kept up. The landscaper has truly done an amazing job. It is the ultimate spot to get away from it all. I get a total sense of relaxation when I’m there. When I travel I always seek out spa services wherever I go so I am even more pleased that Doce Lunas has their very own spa center on the grounds. In short, of all my travels around the world, Costa Rica and Doce Lunas rank up there among my all-time favorite vacation spots. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Kingwood, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We recently visited Costa Rica for the first time. Our close friends suggested the Doce Lunas Hotel.

What a great experience, from the extremely qualified staff, the beautiful room, great surroundings, the smell of sweet flowers and the sound of gentle rain in the early morning.

The beautiful and private pool area awaits any guest... A great surprise is that the staff was s was so qualified and attentive. The food was also very outstanding, thanks to a great chef.

We will always go back there whenever we are in that region of Costa Rica. Thanks for everything - we had a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if you want to feel special.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I always think it is good luck to go to a place and enjoy it. But I have returned to Doce Lunas and still loved it. The rooms are a good size, big bathrooms, you are out of the hustle of Jaco and have the feel of the jungle. To visit Jaco is a simple five minute ride but then you can return to the sanctuary of Doce Lunas. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

this place rocks...Marco, Jorge & Daniel really go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one, along with Brian & Chris. Most of the time you don't even have to ask, they know what you need and get it done!

The rooms are great, VERY clean and spacious, and resturant has great food. EXCELLENT value.

See you next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Docelunas Oct 27-30th. I must say it has been one of my best experiences I have had in my many visits to Costa Rica. It is located back at the base of the jungle which provides a great morning breakfast experience. The central area of Jaco is only a $5 cab ride away with very prompt service, taking less than 5 mins to arrive after the front desk places a call. The staff is wonderful and will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Docelunas is a must on my repeat schedule when visiting the Jaco area again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa? Share your experiences!