“Excellent Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club del Sol

Save Saved
You added Club del Sol to your Saves list
Club del Sol
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1 Madrigal Costanera Highway, Jaco 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Jaco
“Excellent Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

These condos are great. Amazing value, clean, safe and the staff was unbelievably helpful. The pool was great and the walk to the beach was quick. We felt safe and were treated like family. Thank you guys for everything. We will be back and hopefully sooner than later!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our second stay at Club del Sol. First stay was for the summer of 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Julieta, Lenin and all of the staff are friendly and very helpful. Condos are roomy, clean and cool. Kitchens are not lavishly equipped but adequate, appliances work (washer/dryer/dishwasher), wi-fi usually works and pool setting is gorgeous. Some road noise but got better later in the night. Added bonus was our daughter and friends joined us for a week and she met Mr. Right while zip lining - and this lead to our second stay here for her wedding.

Great place if you are staying more than a couple of nights and prefer some eating in, doing laundry and relaxing.

Room Tip: If you are real sensitive to noise, ask for a room away from the road. Feel free to ask questions...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Isidro de El General, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great value, great rooms. Quiet! Clean. Friendly and a nice pool. The family loved it. The niece loved the pool. Walking distance to the beach. And the room was cool, the bed was not the best but it was a minor thing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We found this condo through TripAdvisor, and as usual, were very satisfied. The condo was bright, spacious and well equipped. We were a family of five with 10 thru 16 year old kids. We stayed a Thurs. and Fri. night. Someone below us had music playing loudly, but it was only heard in the master bath, so we could shut the door and keep out their entertainment.
The pool was pleasant, the beds were great. Wish we'd stayed longer here, as the laundry in our condo would have been very beneficial later in our stay!
We drove to town and beach, though you probably could have walked to the south end of the beach relatively easily from here. Tortuga Surf School was just down the road (on the beach).
Also saw many multi-generational families coming in for the weekend.

Room Tip: Our room was 2 king size beds and a pull out sofa. Washer and dryer with soap provided!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have stayed at Club del Sol many times, but this year I was able to use Club del Sol as my home base for 3 months, June, July and August. During the month of July I had my whole family, which includes 2 teen boys. Over the course of the summer, with many friends and family members visiting, we stayed in 4 different condos.

Each condo is owned indivudually. Each condo has the same layout, 2 bed and 2 bath. Some units have dishwashers, some don't. Some units have TVs in the bedrooms, some don't. The furniture is different in each condo, depending on the owner. All of the condos we stayed at over this summer were very nice. Club del Sol does a great job with the maintenance of the complex. Staying there as long as I did I could see how much work they were always doing to make sure the place looked great. Being so close to the ocean there is constant upkeep and CDS does a great job. All the units have a large outdoor patio or balcony overlooking the pool. This is a great place for meals and games and to get the kids away from TV. Many other condo complex don't have this feature, and I find we really like having a large outdoor table when we are on vacation. The cleaning people keep the inside of the condos spotless, and if we didn't want the cleaning people we never had problems getting new towels. The kitchen is well stocked to be able to cook, but you need to get your own food and spices. We travel light, so having laundry in each condo is a huge plus. The master bath is huge and very nice. The second bath has a basic shower, toilet and sink.

I love the staff. They are always so friendly and helpful. Anything we needed they did their best to help. We had many things delievered, like groceries and food. The office always helped us when we need translation. Booking tours or any other info we needed they would do their best to find what we wanted. Thankyou to Julietta and your whole staff.

My teen boys, 13 and 16, had a great time. They loved the pool and being so close to the beach. They wanted to learn to surf, so having the surf place across the street was great. The mini mart, across the street, reopened while we were there. There are some restaurants and sodas that are a couple minutes walk that were great to send the kids to when I didn't want to cook. Taxis are $3 into town, but during the day we would walk to town along the beach if it was low tide, or along the road during high tide. We hired a cook many times to come in and cook for us. During the week it is quiet and you often have the place to yourself, but on the weekends many Ticos come with their families. This was the best of both worlds for us. The kids made friends on the weekend and could practice their spanish, and during the week we had peace and quiet. There are roosters next door. Roosters Crow. They didn't bother us. The masterbedrooms face the pool, so you shouldn't hear them anyway. Some of the second bedrooms hear the roosters, but if you are a light sleeper then earplugs should do the trick. All the units we stayed in had double paned windows, so no problem.

I love the location of CDS. It is close enough to walk into Jaco during the day and a cheap taxi ride at night. You are a quick taxi ride to Playa Hermosa. CDS is easy in and out off the main road, but very close to the beach. You can easily do a day trip to Manuel Antonio. The public bus stops right near CDS and is a great option. The south end of Jaco is quiet, so for me I have the best of both worlds, fun beach town with lots to do, but quiet place to go home to at night and hang out at during the day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Just spent an excellent weekend in Playa Jaco and was fortunate enough to have stayed at Club Del Sol. The manager's and staff were warm, friendly and above and beyond helpfull. The condo was clean, quiet and safe. A short walk down to the beach and you're standing in paradise. A $3 dollar cab ride (1,500-col) and you're on the Jaco strip and especially Los Amigo's restaurant! A 30-minute cab ride and you're kayaking, hiking or fishing. The resort La Suena's is 20-minutes away and extremely expensive when the Del Sol is just as beautiful and classy but feel's like home. In my opinion it has that Pura Vida positive vibe! Just across the street is a small bodega (limited selection but the eggs and fruit are fresh!) and Carton's Surf Shop, a great guy and always has a smile for anybody just dropping by. Since Miguel and the security staff are so nice and attentive, bring your laptop because cell phones (even iPhones) run a little slow. Plus there is a safe in the master bedroom that will fit a 15" laptop. A 17" laptop may be pushing it. If you want to watch DVD's you'll need to bring your own. There are no Redbox's in Jaco but I was having so much fun I didn't miss it. Having a washer / dryer in the condo is great and the pool is awesome! If you're quiet a late night chill is all good. Last but not least, staying off the strip side of Playa Jaco is a wise choice if you want a retreat for rest and relaxation. Playa Jaco is an awesome beach town and the party goes way into the night. Being less than 5-minutes away by cab to south Jaco will give you that waking up in paradise with fresh fruit, the best coffee and break away from the world feeling you may be looking for. I would suggest Club Del Sol to anyone and will be returning two to three times a year. Playa Jaco and the people there are genuinely friendly, laid back and I never felt uneasy the entire time I was there. Club Del Sol only made that feeling stronger! It's an affordable trip of a lifetime! Book it early, because a place this great is hard to find. Will be back to Paradise in February, surf's up!

Room Tip: Every room has a great view. The floors are tile and wood so kids would probably be best in a ground...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Reading, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I spent Friday to Monday here.
Pros: Price and building. $120 for 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, laundry, patio and everything nicely decorated. While everything was clean, some of the furniture was a bit run down.

Cons: 1) Far enough from the town center that we need to taxi to and fro at $4 a trip to get to shops, restaurants and bus station. 2) Management: when we first checked in, the young man took our credit card and gave us our keys. That was it, no welcome, no offers of help, not even pointing us in the right direction to get to our rooms. 3) The henhouses immediately next door - we had #3 and outside our back window was a path and a fence and a property which had henhouses and at least 2 roosters. Every 40 seconds at least one of them crowed, starting at 5:30 am! Also the hotel is adjacent to the main roadway traveling down the pacific coast, so we heard every semi and dilapidated truck struggling up the hill or braking down the hill. I am not sure whether the other units would have suffered from these noises based on their location but at least half of them would share either our roosters or our highway noise since we all circled the central pool.

When we arrived, I thought it was odd that we had only one bathroom. Since there was only two of us, I was not concerned but there were only 2 bath towels, 2 beach towels and a bath mat. Not really enough for 2 women. But there was a locked door in the master bedroom which I thought could have been a master bath but since it was locked, I assumed it was the condo owner's storage area. Day 2 and now we are down to one towel to share and the door is still locked. Day 3 and we have no towels at all so while my daughter is taking her shower, I walk over to the office and ask for more towels and get an argument! Same young man tells me that it is impossible for me to have no towels! I then asked him where they could be hidden since they are obviously not in the bathroom. He stomps over to the laundry/storage room next door to ungraciously give me more towels but there aren't any clean towels there either. So he tells me to go back to my room and he will send housekeeping over. She arrives shortly and walks past me to the master bedroom opens the door that has been locked for two days and shows me two towels in the master bath. It was nice to have a master bath one night but we still only had two towels and by the way, they are very thin and worn towels.

Last bright note: the security/valet that was usually in the parking lot was a doll. A tall gentlemen with little English in his 40-50's. He always called our taxi, gave me his folding chair or umbrella, gave us directions or warned us non-verbally of unsafe walks or activities and most especially gave a us a warm welcoming smile. I wish I knew his name - he could teach management about customer service.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms away from the highway and the roosters meaning get a room near the entrance road an...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
, Manager at Club del Sol, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Good morning,

I reviewed the deficiencies you noticed on the property and listed in your comments about Club del Sol.

As you may have noticed during your stay, Costa Rica is a friendly and very noisy country, where nature, forest, beach and animals live happily together, it is hard then to eliminate noises from roosters, dogs, geckos, and other species. Most people like this semicivilised wilderness!

You are right, the noises from the highway are sometimes: Jaco is a small beach town and most of it is within 4 blocks of this same highway.

With regards to the master bathroom and the towels, Club del Sol unfailingly provides daily maid service, wich includes replacement of towels and amenities, so it could not be that towels were not replaced during your three night stay, unless you placed the Do not disturb sign outside the door. The maids would also have to open the bathroom door in order to clean it.

In addition, all condos have a phone with instructions and extension numbers for the office, security, etc, and it would have been easier and more convenient for you to call us and ask for additional towels and if the bathroom door was indeed locked, to have it opened.

We are very sorry to know that your stay with us was not 100% satisfying.

This, fortunately, is an isolated happening, and proof of it is the fact, that your valid negative review, about our stablishment, is the first one received here in Trip Advisor or by any other mean; we are very sorry about that too...

Cordially,
Management of Club del Sol Condominiums.

The Management

Been to Club del Sol? Share your experiences!