“Best Continental Breakfast Ever!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

You added Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante to your Saves list
Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Bohio 50 Mts West | (towards the beach), Jaco 4123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
RiverNorthChiTown
“Best Continental Breakfast Ever!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

The breakfast was my favorite thing about this hotel! Other then that, I would say the poseidon was ok. I thought our room was nice, however the shower was a bit disgusting as the water did not drain very well. The housekeeper did however, do an excellent job trying to clean the shower and bathroom. The pool bar advertised on the website is a bit misleading. It was not manned by a bartender during our entire stay. Out of all of our hotels, I would say this was the worse concierge service, but it wasn't horrible. Just ok.

I'm not sure if I would stay there again. Actually, I would not go to Jaco again, so the town may have ruined my experience at the hotel.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
long beach,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

hotel poseiden in Jaco beach, costa rica was a little slice of heaven - everyone who works there was so friendly and helpfull - the hotel itself was small and well maintained, clean and quite the location is perfect - centrally located half a block from the beach - the food is fabulous for breakfast lunch and dinner -the owner Tim made all the arrangments to have us picked up from the airport -every excusion we went on was top notch- canapy tour was great -monkey tour is a must and the catamaren trip is a must cant wait to return pura vida!!!

Bremerton,WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

We stayed here for a long weekend on a business trip. The hotel was clean, quite and well located in the heart of Jaco. The restaurant food was very enjoyable and the staff quiet but friendly and efficient. We liked sitting out by the pool after dinner and relaxing in the warm evening. Parking is provided next door for $3.
If you are looking for a resort atmosphere then this is not for you. If you are looking for a place to rest in comfort and feel safe and relaxed then give it a try. We wood stay again.
Only complaints; lighting inside is minimal, shower water never got very warm.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — shower had lukewarm water
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

In my opinion this is not the place to stay! We arrived for a weeks vacation of sun and fun and were treated very badly by Tim, the owner, who overbooked his hotel and then denied it.
It was all downhill from there. At the pool there was a HUGE dead roach that stayed there for 2 days. Also, our TV was broken and there was a leak in our room. Good thing we did not stay in the room very long. I must admit that the food at the restaurant is very good. The staff is not bad and friendly but the owner is not pleasant and does not treat his guests with respect. The 3rd night we had to leave since he overbooked his hotel. We were sent to a hotel down the block where apparently they have an extra room since this is common for the owner to do. We were very happy this happened. The new Hotel was MUCH better. It is called Balcon Del Mar. Nothing fancy, rooms are ok but outside is very nice. Jaco is a great place to be.

Stayed February 2007
PoseidonOwner, Owner at Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante, responded to this review, March 20, 2007
I am really saddened that these young professionals have written something that is completely inaccurate. My name is Tim, my wife and I have owned the Hotel Poseidon for 5+ years and this is the 1st out right lie that has been written about ME or our property. The guests booked through a website we have never worked with. They emailed directly to our hotel asking if we had received the 4 night reservation. I immediately responded with "no" we do not have a room for the 3rd and 4th nights. They never contacted us again. Meanwhile, I contacted the website asking how they had guaranteed a reservation at our hotel when we do not work directly with them. I never got a response. Next, they showed up at the hotel, I personally explained the situation at check in. They were not very understanding; saying they had contacted the website again and had been reassured that they had this reservation. The guests and I then made a plan to meet the next morning to call the website. This is where I have fault. I was not able to make it to that meeting and called the hotel to explain to them personally on the phone that unfortunately I could not be there due to a family emergency. This is when they decided I do not respect our guests. I truly apologize for not making the meeting, but this gives them no right to change the story to make me look bad.

As for over booking our hotel....we have 14 rooms and we are running a very high occupancy. We do not run this like the airlines we do not have enough product to do that. We do however fill up regularly and refer the Balcon del Mar frequently. This may explain the comment the guests received from Balcon del Mar.

The roach is quite embarrassing, but I can assure you we do everything we can, including regular spraying and daily cleaning. I am now looking into what more we can do.

If their TV was not working properly all they had to do was ask at our reception desk for someone to take a look at it. The room they stayed in currently has a working TV and I do not see any maintenance requests in the last month for a problem with that TV.

Finally, at least they recognized our restaurant and staff. We try very hard to offer a constant product between rooms, food, beverage, and guest service. I believe for the most part our guests are satisfied; the proof is in our repeat business.

I am truly sorry for my part in this but felt it necessary to set the record straight. Moral to the story, be careful what website you choose to reserve your hotel rooms. There are many sites out there that are not very reputable. From the first emial, I knew this would be a problem, but I had no idea it would go this far. To date I have still received no information from the website they used to make a reservation. According to the rules of "tripadvisor" we are not aloud to give you the name of the website.

March 20, 2007
Tim Odom
Owner Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

Hotel Poseidon is about a 20 room motel 1/2 block from the beach. Our room was very nice, recently remodled, very clean with great food at the restaurant. the only bad thing was it got a little noisy at night, but hey Jaco is a party town so Im sure thats how it is everywhere. During the high season the room was about 90 bucks. Everything I had at the resuaurant was exellent and the staff was very nice and helpfull with whatever I needed. If your looking for a resort this is not it, If your looking for a decent priced, clean, modern room to crash then this is the place. I would definatley stay again.

• Liked — Clean modern rooms
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

I have lived in Costa Rica for over ten years and operate a hotel near the San Jose airport. I am always looking for reasonable accommodation in Jaco for my guests, as it is the nearest large beac h to San Jose. Occasionally I break away myself to enjoy some beach time. I have stayed at several hotels in Jaco, good and bad over the years, and recently discovered Hotel Poseidon. I'm glad I did. They didn't know who I was to try and impress me. The new rooms, apparently there are also older ones, are not 5 star but are very nice, the cute little pool is a great babysitter for the kids, their restaurant prepares the best filet mignon and sea bass I've ever tasted in all of Costa Rica at a reasonable price, they are only half a block from the beach and in the heart of all the action, but mostly, you can tell it is American operated as the service from all the staff is relaxed, yet right on. As long as Tim and Chrissy continue to operate the Poseidon, I'll send all my guests there.
Eric Robinson

• Liked — service and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

Just returned from Jaco, Costa Rica and a 7 night stay at the Hotel Poseidon. The hotel room, restaurant, bar and staff are all very nice. The chef prepared wonderful meals every night night and the morning meals where just as good.

Prices are comparable to any other finer restaurant in the area. The staff was always appreciative and very eager to make our stay enjoyable.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — The pool
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante? Share your experiences!