“Great place to stay in Jaco” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

You added Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante to your Saves list
Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Bohio 50 Mts West | (towards the beach), Jaco 4123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Ft. Lauderdale
“Great place to stay in Jaco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

We spent 4 nights there in late Feb/early March. Hotel was very clean, safe, nice staff. Great location if you want to stay right in downtown Jaco, so you can walk to all the places-rather than having to deal with a taxi. We did not want to stay on the beach, so this was perfect. Beach is right down the street. Patricia (the chef) even gave us her reciepe for coconut curry (they cooked our fish we caught that day). Would go back there again and recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Just got back from my second trip to Hotel Poseidon. Last trip was a getaway with my girlfriends and this time was more of a romantic getaway. Poseidon fit the bill for both needs.
Each room comes equipped with two double beds which was perfect for the trip with my girlfriends. It comfortably fit four females and all our luggage!! This trip the second bed wasn't used but it wasn't as if it bothered us to have it there.
The staff is simply amazing and is what prompted me to return to Jaco for this years vacation. From housekeeping to front desk, waitstaff to even security, they will do whatever they can to help.
THE FOOD IS ORGASMIC!! Even if you don't choose Hotel Poseidon as your destination you should definitely dine there. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's all good!!
Location is superb. Walking distance to the beach, bars, clubs, banks, supermarket, and surf shops. Even an extra minute of walking in Costa Rican heat will get to you so location is key.
Shoutout to Gabriel and Fernando. My two favorite Ticos who do more then needed to ensure the safety and satisfaction of their guests.
Can't wait to return.
Pura Vida!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Hotel Poseidon in January 2009. We chosed this hotel because of the good reviews and the nice web site. Their web site is so good, that when you get there, you're not sure you made a good choice. The rooms as OK, the AC is efficient and quiet, clean bathroom with a large shower with warm water, There is a tiny uncomfortable sitting area outside the room, and we had huge water tanks as a view. The pool was nice and refreshing, but is very small! Restaurant is great though and breakfasts are good, but a little pricey if you don't take the included continental breakfast... Parkong lot is on the other side of the street. On the good side, front desk people were nice and made arrangements for tours.
Overall that was a positive experience, OK for the price, but don't expect too much!

• Liked — Clean room
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Poseidon in January 2009. We absolutely loved it! The location couldn't have been any better. It is a block to the beach and about a half of a block from the town. It's great, being just that short distance from the town, as it allows a little more peace and quiet, if wanted. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The shower was very large with pretty tiling. We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, except for breakfast (which was delicious), but we heard that it is exceptional and by the looks of the crowds in the restaurant each night, that is probably the case. The bar also offers very cheap beer. The outdoor shower, by the pool, will come in handy, as you try and get the extremely fine volcanic sand off of you after the beach. The hotel offers secure parking directly across the street for a minimal $3/day. There is also free internet/computer in the open-air lobby. We rented surfboards for $10/day (from Pana, right around the corner) and had a great time. We highly recommend surfing while there. The town of Jaco is bustling, with lots of bars and restaurants. It's a great place, that we will definitely be returning to. Also, definitely eat at 'Taco Bar' in town while there...delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boothbay Harbor, ME
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

We booked the Poseidon as a cheap place to stay between Quepos and San Jose. It fit the bill, but didn't thrill me. The room was small and relatively clean, but a bit shabby. The staff was very nice and it was good to have WiFi. I didn't find the pool very appealing due to the proximity to the restaurant and the fact that all guests have to walk right by.

The location of the hotel is great, two blocks from the beach and smack in the middle of the best restaurants and bars. We had fantastic meals both at the hotel's restaurant (awesome tuna) and at Calinche's Wishbone, right around the corner.

I guess the reasons I was a bit disappointed were that the rooms were unremarkable and had no view (ocean or street), and that the hotel lacked character - it's American run and almost everyone we saw there was American. I don't know how much more I could ask for for the price, but I will probably spend a bit more next time and see what I can find.

Stayed November 2008
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

I only spent one night in this hotel but I found it very pleasant and friendly. I came in via Interbus Shuttle from Arenal in the early evening and needed a place to crash before catching the water taxi to Montezuma. The hotel itself suffers from dreary architecture and seemed a bit cramped but the room was comfortable, if somewhat matronly. I am borderline insane about having a quiet room and worried that I might not find tranquility in partying Jaco. I was happy to see that the room was pretty well soundproofed.

The restaurant in the hotel, while not cheap, was excellent. The American chef is extremely talented at using local ingredients to produce high-quality Pacific rim fusion dishes. The seared sashimi-grade yellowtail (caught that morning) in a wasabi sauce was outstanding and the portion was huge -- about 3 or 4 times what you'd get at a NY or LA restaurant.

The staff was friendly and helpful with transport arrangements.

As for Jaco, it reminded me of sketchy beach towns in Baja California near Tijuana. I am a big city boy and never felt threatened, but I didn't feel entirely safe either. I was glad to get on the boat to paradise the next morning...

• Liked — Friendly staff, excellent restaurant
  • Disliked — Dreary building, internally facing room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

I just returned from a week in Costa Rica. I only stayed two nights at Hotel Poseidon and I wish I could have stayed longer. I loved everything about this place...the food, the rooms, the service, the location, etc. The beach can be seen from the front door and great restaurants and shops surround the hotel. We spent hours at the hotel bar each night laughing and telling stories with the locals, other tourists, and Mark (the bartender). Internet is available for hotel guests and the staff is very willing to help you with whatever you need. Arial at the front desk was extemely helpful fixing the mess that was created by Interbus (transportation company). **Note: I would NOT recommend using Interbus. Unfortunately, we already pre-booked Interbus prior to arriving in Costa Rica. They forgot us on the way to Jaco and were 3 hours late bringing us back to San Jose.

Overall, my experience at Hotel Poseidon was amazing. We were blown away by the service and amenities that we received at such a reasonable price. I can't wait to plan my next visit!!

Kaylee Gamble
Chicago, IL

• Liked — The captivating atmosphere
  • Disliked — I wish I would have stayed longer!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante? Share your experiences!