“Nice Lunch Spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

You added Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante to your Saves list
Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Bohio 50 Mts West | (towards the beach), Jaco 4123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
Bossier City, Louisiana
“Nice Lunch Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Poseidon Restaurante was recommended to us by an ex-pat we met and he suggested we make a point to try the food here. We did and we were delighted with the quality and auantity of the lunch servings. We ordered the comidas, I had the carne(beef) and my friend ordered the pollo (chicken) comida. Very good dishes and lots of it, fresh and quite tasty. We sat close the grill and was entertained by the local cooks as she prepared the dishes. The price was rather reasonable and the beer was cold. The rooms were noisy at night because of a very loud disco bar until about 2 a.m., which is just below the hotel's main floors.

Room Tip: A great place for a typical local cuisine. Rooms can be noisy due to the bar scene late night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

... if you know Jaco, this isn't saying much. After a long delay in leaving San Jose, a friend and I decided to stay overnight in Jaco, knowing there were lots of hotels there, rather than try to travel the Costanera at night. We booked the "Hotel Poseidon" via an "opaque" hotel site, which labelled it a 3-star hotel. I'm not sure which galaxy they live in, but whatever it is, they must have different stars. Maybe it's not a "dive" by Costa Rican standards, but I don't think this would qualify as even a 2* hotel by U.S. standards.

First, the door lock was a simple knob-lock, where you push in and turn a button on the knob -- hardly secure at all. And there were gouges out of the door around the latch, signs of perhaps several prior break-in attempts 9and probably successes). A cabinet door fell off in my hand when I opened it. The in-room safe didn't lock unless the latch was loosened. The bathroom light switch was cracked -- although the light it controlled didn't work anyway. And there was no bathroom ventilation, fan, or able-to-be-opened window. While we were sitting in the room at night, around 10:30 or so, our door was opened with a key -- fortunately I'd chained it -- by some guy claiming that he thought the water was running in our bathroom.

On the plus side, the hotel had a simple but ample and nice continental breakfast, and we heard good things about its restaurant (but we did not try there any meal other than the breakfast). And it had air conditioning.

This hotel looks like it has potential for charm, but it's not there yet. I'm really puzzled by all the positive reviews!

Room Tip: Don't take a room (#7 or #[6 or 8]) on the stairway up to the rooftop sports bar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Tucked in midway on Calle Bohio is a treasure. Nice atmosphere and great food. A local of Jaco this is a true gem. Very consistent all the time all year round. Very people and dog friendly. Nice hotel close to everything. Nice family atmosphere also. Great daily specials. Free parking across the street when you get your ticket stamped in at the restaurante. Upstairs is the Sky Lounge. If you are a lover of watching sports this is the place. A/C and all the channels. Worth stopping by if you are not staying there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jaco, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week and had a great time. We were apartment hunting and so the central location of this place was awesome since we were doing a ton of walking. The rooms were clean and the air conditioning was great. I loved the big shower in our room too. The openess of the entire hotel I thought was unique. Did I mention its literally up the street from the beach? The restaurant was very good for the prices. Free coffee in the morning for breakfast is definitely a plus, but the waitress never brought us our fruit? Maybe I was confused but I thought it was complimentary? I must say that the waitresses were our only issue. They charged us full price for our drinks until my husband and I figured out it was happy hour and mentioned it, then they started charging us correctly. Not nice to rip people off, girls! :) My husband and I ended up moving to this town, but have not been back because of those rude bar tricks, and because they ripped us off ;)

Room Tip: Get a room on the bottom floor to avoid stairs, no elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was nearing the end of our trip and budget, we wanted a decent place to stay without spending too much money. The rooms were nice, had AC (Jaco gets very muggy), cable, and a safe. There were a few minor maintenance issues but nothing major. Bed was comfortable, staff was very helpful and courteous, food was delicious, pool was refreshing, they had a bar upstairs which we never made it to but heard it was nice too. It was a perfect place to spend our last two nights in Jaco. And it was literally two blocks from the beach!

Room Tip: Get a room with AC
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Turrialba, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My son and I spent a week at hotel poseidon and we really enjoyed it. Perfect location, close to the beach and walking distance from anything else. The place is really cosy and calm, perfect to get peace in the middle of crazy Jaco ! The staff is really nice, smiling all the time and helpful. The Sky lounge allows you to have a drink at night without going out and my son had a really great time either at the pool and during kids activities that they organize. Great place to stay in Jaco !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
largo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel was fine. We stay 3 days the room was ok, clean , not nice colors.
It was on holy week. The pool was good but small. The breackfast is not that good however the banana cake is soooo good. Close to the beach, no parking and the parking lot thats in front will close at 10 pm. Not the bes the price could be better.

Room Tip: Dont stay more than 2 days.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
PoseidonOwner, Owner at Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay more. Not sure what rate you paid, but we appreciate your feedback and will look into the issues you have brought to our attention
again thanks for your review. The Banana Bread is my Mom's receipe, our kitchen staff does it well.

Been to Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante? Share your experiences!