“Fantastic - As Always” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

Save Saved
You added Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante to your Saves list
Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Bohio 50 Mts West | (towards the beach), Jaco 4123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Jaco
Columbia, Missouri
“Fantastic - As Always”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Thanks Tim and Team for another fantastic stay at your hotel in Jaco! As always, everything went smoothly. The restaurant was perfect and the staff wonderful. To be in the middle of the action in Jaco while only a few yards from the beach, Hotel Poseidon is the place to be.

We will see you again next year.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Brentwood, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Simple rooms that serve the purpose. The food is fantastic - catch your own fish and these ladies add a blend of Asian and Latin American flare that will catch you off guard. Best grouper - EVER! Best meals of our trip. Go see Gabriella, Sulekha, and Celia in the kitchen/bar and Tanin Arguello at the desk if you need directions or help navigating Jaco Beach.

Room Tip: Take a premium room - a little more space if you plan to stay multiple nights. Also, be advised tha...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

Thisbe place is a total dumb! First the rooms are so dirty we even found seemed on the covers! The free breakfast is a plate of fruits and half of a banana. Plus they don't even take the time to service you coofe f you tell them you want the complementary breakfast , the wether point to the coofe pot and said serve your self. We add one night dinner it was ok, but $$$$ for wat it was.

• Stayed April 2012
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Where could I possibly begin? Would it be the dingy dirty rooms, the stains of bodily fluids on the bedspread, the disgusting bathrooms, or the bar next door blasting music from 11:30am to the early hours on a Monday night. Run, don't walk away from this place. It has been a stain on my whole month in costa Rica. Excuse the pun...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Aliso Viejo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I want to start out with the positives. The hotel is in an excellent location. It's in the heart of the city and half a block away from the ocean, making it easy to walk wherever you want to get within Jaco. It also offers free wifi, has mini-fridges, and has a pretty good continental breakfast (excellent fresh fruit and bread!).

However, I have NO IDEA how so many people rated this hotel so highly. I have NEVER stayed in a hotel this nasty! And I've stayed in some pretty shady hostels in my day... The walls were disgustingly grimy, the bathroom had stains all around it, and I refused to use their comforter or walk on the floor barefoot. The pool was not only run down, but had cat feces sitting near the edge for a whole day. For the money we spent, I'd expect much cleaner facilities. I could have stayed at a hostel for better.

Room Tip: If all the rooms were like ours, good luck.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Here is my review of the Hotel Poseidon in Jaco, Costa Rica. This was my second visit to this hotel, and I have to say that the second visit was a drastic change from the first.

I remembered this place fondly, and had looked forward to going back, and wanted to include it in a report I'm writing on the country. However, on our first night at Hotel Poseidon, a few nights ago, my friend and I were sitting in the open air restaurant in front of the hotel--which does have good food--and noticed group after group of prostitutes walking by. We commented that this was the most prostitutes that we'd seen in any one area in Costa Rica.

Much to our dismay, one of the guests at the hotel, a man in his 50s, shortly thereafter walked into the restaurant with one of the ladies of the evening we'd just seen go by. She looked all of 16. And they sat at a table not far from us discussing her price while they ate. Moments later, they walked back to the room area. I suppose the transaction had been agreed upon. I was a little shocked but… didn't say anything.

The next evening, the same thing occurred. A different guest at the hotel, also a man in his 50's brought another scantily clad hooker into the restaurant. Keep in mind that families with children were also staying at the Poseidon and what was going on was certainly not being hidden.

The "couples" walked right past the clerk on their way to the rooms. One prostitute even said hello to him.

On the last night, I was sitting by the pool area reading, after 10 PM, when a prostitute came to the side gate and knocked. Not only did the night guard let her in, but he then went and got the elderly gentlemen, who was using a cane, to greet her, and the "John" and the hooker went back to his room, walking right past me. Moments later, another "lady" finished with her work came out of another room, and the guard greeted her and let her out.

I asked the guard if he spoke English. He did. I asked him if Prostitution was legal in Costa Rica. He said it was. I asked him what he thought about it, and he said "Well, if the girls are willing..." I asked him how he'd feel about it if his daughter were to be a prostitute?" and he didn't answer. I asked him if the hotel knew that it's premises was being used as a brothel, and again he didn't answer.

The next day, I had the same conversation with the hotel manager, Harold Castro-- a young man roughly in his early 30's and polite, who told me it was a shame, but prostitution had increased in Jaco in the last year and there was nothing they could do about it. When I asked him if that meant the hotel had no control over letting prostitutes into the hotel, which is gated at night, he didn't answer. When I asked him if he didn't feel that letting hookers into a small hotel didn't present some safety issues to "non-ordering" guests, he said he didn't think so. That "The Guard asks them for their ID's to make sure that they are over age." When I told him that I saw the guard let in at least 4 woman over the course of 2 nights, and not once did he ask them for an ID, he replied "Really? He should have. Maybe he already knows them well." I also asked him if the owner of the hotel, a man named Tim Oedom, knew that his hotel was being used for prostitution, he said "Yes." And finally, I asked him if the hotel intended to do anything about allowing prostitutes onto their grounds, and he just shrugged. He also acknowledged that there were was now a steady stream of "Johns" staying at the hotel, probably due to "word of mouth" in that community.

He finished by saying that all the hotels in Jaco allowed prostitutes, so they were not doing anything different. I told him I wasn't concerned about the other hotels, only about his, since I was staying there, and writing an article. He said that other cities along the coast, like Tamarindo are the same. I rebutted that by saying that I had been in Tamarindo 2 weeks before and did not see a guard letting one single hooker into the building. He had nothing to say.

Granted, the Hotel Poseidon is in a good location, not far from the ocean. The food is good as well. Travel companies like Group 1 use it often. However, the linen in the rooms is suspect. Especially the stained bed covers that never seem to be washed, and considering the Hotel Posiden's new line of clientele and their guests, that is a big concern. The rooms could use more cleaning to be sure. The walls are also very thin, and you can hear everything going on in the rooms, I grant you.

Of course, there is a risk that by my posting this, more "Johns" are going to frequent this place, which is already taking on a sleazy patina, but I feel I must warn those coming to Costa Rica because they think it's a beautiful and peaceful place...If you are traveling with children, or people who think that under age prostitutes coming in and out of your hotel in full view is something you don't really want to see, I wouldn't suggest staying here.

I intend to write a longer piece on this hotel, and the things I encountered there.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are more quiet and you can't hear the bar so well. But that also seems to...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The Good: The room was clean. When my TV didn't work, the owner gave me the TV out of his house. Which was very kind of him.

The Bad: the wifi didn't reach my room. It's not a huge deal, because you don't need the internet that often .. You're supposed to be on vacation but it comes in handy later, read on.

The staff was not very friendly. They weren't mean, but it was definitely the bare minimum. During the 2 days we were there, not one staff member initiated a hello. Really, we walked by them at 5 times a day, not one hello. I should have known from the start though.
We got there early, at 11:30am, check in was at 4. Fine, our fault. But after sitting there for 2.5 hours, I had to actually ask if the room was ready. Additionally, he never actually checked if early check-in was an option, he just told me I'd have to hang out by the pool until 4. Turns out at around 2, the room was ready. Thank God I asked. And I guess I thought if not friendly was at least considerate. FAIL. I asked for help booking two things while I was there, an ATV tour with FourTrax, and transport to San Jose. Instead they book a tour with AXR, the place next door, (Don't go by the way, go with FourTrax) and instead of offering me the option between a shared shuttle and private transport, they just told me transport to San Jose was $120, the price for what I hope was a private transfer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante? Share your experiences!