“Incredible experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vista Guapa Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jaco
Vista Guapa Surf Camp
You added Vista Guapa Surf Camp to your Saves list
Las Lomas de Jaco, Jaco, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Jaco B&B and Inns
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Incredible experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had a great experience at Vista Guapa. All of the staff were extremely friendly and professional. The breakfast every morning was incredible, and we were taken out to dinner every night. The bungalows are neat, comfortable, and cleaned daily. Alavaro and Wendy went out of there way to make our stay one to remember. We surfed every afternoon and were provided with top of the line surf gear. I would recommend Vista Guapa to anyone traveling to Jaco!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I recently went to Vista Guapa with my brother. We spent 3 days there and it was the highlight of my trip to Costa Rica. I had high expectations for the camp and them 100% exceeded them! Alvaro was extremely kind and professional. He get us up and taught us all the basics of surfing. The entire staff was extremely friendly and made us feel right at home. The breakfast in the morning was first-class (coffee, fresh fruit, omelets, and smoothies). And dinners out in Jaco with Alvaro were a unique way to see the city. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a new way to experience Costa Rica.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Edmundston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

At first, arriving at vista guapa, i tought this was going to be ok. As the hours passes, i realized that this was going to be a fabulous experience! Alvaro and wendy have a way of making you feel right at home and i would even say as part of the family. The cottages on the mountain are spacious, clean and offer a panoramic view of the region. I really enjoyed the hammock on the balcony after my surf lessons. Being a beginner surfer i needed a good patient teacher and Alvaro Solano...the best! He chose perfect waves for my level, gave me simple instructions and up i went! Alvaro teaches with his heart! As for wendy, she serves the best breakfast i have had in costa rica! She also takes beautiful professional photos, if you want to take some home. Alvaro invited me to go try paddleboard one morning and it was great. Another time, i tagged along as he was going out to playa hermosa to coach dennis and emily, two young competing surfers. The waves being too big for me , i watched intermediate and expert surfers catch the best surf that morning. I could go on and on...but to make things simple...the vista guapa gang will make everything ok for you and much more. Vista Guapa is a rare gem!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I believe I was either the first or second visitor to Vista Guapa back in 2002. I was a little anxious about visiting Costa Rica for the first time, but I wound up having a fantastic time. Alvaro took very good care of me and my two friends during our visit. I really enjoyed my surfing lessons with Alvaro and only later realized that I was being taught by some of the very best surfers that Costa Rica has ever had. Alvaro was kind enough to take us down to Manuel Antonio for a day and we had a fantastic time in the park. Alvaro also took us to several other locals-only locations that made our experience even more memorable than I could have imagined. If you're interested in really learning how to surf and in experiencing "Pura Vida", you can't do any better than Vista Guapa!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had been to Vista Guapa 3 years ago for a few days and had wanted to go back since. I'm so glad I had the opportunity. The surf lessons are the best anywhere. We had a big crowd, so there were extra instructors and they were all world class! I did better surfing than I'd ever imagined I would do for years!

... and that's the surfing! Breakfast was excellent! The oatmeal was the best anyone had ever had. Our driver, Edwin, took us to cool, out of the way places to see. He also took us to the National Park and more standard places.

It was excellent - really excellent. I would recommend it to anyone - especially if you want to surf - or get better surfing.

Mary

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Wendy and Alvaro do it right! The breakfast is exceptional and the rooms are comfortable, clean and have a great feel with chairs and hammocks on your porch. Bring some music (or Capt Fun!) and get a few beers for your own post surf "happy hour up the hill!"

Alvaro not only finds the best surf conditions for your ability, but he provides instant "cover" in the lineup as he he so well liked and respected. Vista Guapa surf team is always welcome in the water!

We all ranged from pretty experienced to expert surfers and Alvaro got us two surf sessions per day and provided just the right amount of insightful coaching. The vibe at the camp and in the water is everything you want from CR: laid back, tranquillo and FUN!

Couple tips: 1) stay hydrated 2) surf at least twice a day 3) take advantage of the "adventure" day as there are so many great things to do 4) Massage - Montserrat! She has magical hands 5) hit Claritas at least once for post surf drink and pizza

Go early in the trip to stock up on water and a few beers and some snack/fruit. Rest is covered!

Room Tip: Higher you go the longer the walk, but the view is a little better. They are all good with decks wit...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I learned about Vista Guapa from a friend who had had an amazing experience there a year ago. I am so glad I took that recommendation and visited.

Vista Guapa surf camp is GREAT. Stay here is you really want to learn or improve your surfing - Alvaro will make it happen. I had surfed only twice before (a long time ago!) this trip but with Alvaro's excellent guidance and patience I was up on the board on the first day and by the 5th, riding all the waves to the shore.

I travelled there alone and it was a little off season - but I never felt lonely! Alvaro, Wendy and Edwin really take care to ensure you feel like a member of the family. There will never be a need to have a meal alone.

The accommodations are great - bungalows with your own hammock to relax and unwind. They have a beautiful pool right below the 'practice' bungalow (where you can learn to pop up in advance of the real deal). My only suggestion would be to add a few nice beds around to pool to make it extra relaxing.

The location is great - plenty of beautiful beaches for surfing and spots for paddle boarding. There are also plenty of other activities (zip line, scuba national parks etc etc etc) to do if you don't feel like you've hurt your muscles enough just with surfing.

Breakfasts are V. Guapa are included and they do a great job - you have plenty of choice (eggs any way you could want, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juice or freshly prepared smoothies etc. etc. etc.) and it's the perfect size after you've just spent a few hours paddling through waves.

I definitely plan to go back - I won't leave it too long now that I have some great surf skills to build on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Vista Guapa Surf Camp? Share your experiences!